1000 Islands, Rideau Waterway, Ottawa River, and St. Lawrence River conditions

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Depending on how long you plan to be in the area, the weekend following the antique boat show is the kick off to Bill Johnston's Pirate days in Alex Bay. They invade the town via a masted ship and have a bunch of activities for a week or so.

https://www.iloveny.com/event/bill-johnstons-pirate-days/43844/

Thanks for the info. We plan to enter the Rideau at Kingston on Tuesday, Aug, 7, rain or shine. Not sure when we'll be back to 1000 Islands via the St. Lawrence, but it will likely be around the 17th. I doubt we'll see the Pirate Days. I've never been to Alex Bay on a weekend, is town dock space hard to find around lunch time? If we go to Boldt or Singer Castle on a weekend day, we'll plan to arrive really early for docks space because I imagine they are slammed on weekends.

briangcc

Commander
Can't comment on Boldt but for Singer I can as my cousin used to work there doing guided tours. IF you are bringing your own boat to Singer, get there early...right when they open. Depending on the size of your boat I would suggest docking on the inside of the dock as the outside is used by the tour boat operators to load/unload AND its right on the shipping channel so you will be subject to the wakes from Freighters/Oceanliners/whatnot. Singer is a nice guided tour where Boldt is go as you wish and read (not much interaction with the staff).

Both castles are on the US side of the border. Boldt has customs/immigration on site. Singer did not the last I was there - few years back.

Not sure on dockage for Abay but I would think you'd be able to stumble into something being available. I think there is a temporary use dock right next to where Uncle Sam's takes off from so you might sneak in there if the large docks are tied up. If not, several marinas right there in Abay as well.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Can't comment on Boldt but for Singer I can as my cousin used to work there doing guided tours. IF you are bringing your own boat to Singer, get there early...right when they open. Depending on the size of your boat I would suggest docking on the inside of the dock as the outside is used by the tour boat operators to load/unload AND its right on the shipping channel so you will be subject to the wakes from Freighters/Oceanliners/whatnot. Singer is a nice guided tour where Boldt is go as you wish and read (not much interaction with the staff).

Both castles are on the US side of the border. Boldt has customs/immigration on site. Singer did not the last I was there - few years back.

Not sure on dockage for Abay but I would think you'd be able to stumble into something being available. I think there is a temporary use dock right next to where Uncle Sam's takes off from so you might sneak in there if the large docks are tied up. If not, several marinas right there in Abay as well.

Thanks. I've been to both castles by boat before, just not on a weekend. We;ll have guests aboard that would like to see both. Can' wait to get back there, it's a great area for boating and we loved it.

briangcc

Commander
Enjoy. We usually make a run down to Clayton to get some River Rat Cheese. Normal stomping grounds are Abay when I'm on vacation.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Just a quick up-date from the shores of Chaumont Bay,......

Water levels are fairly close to what is expected here in July,......

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I'm curious, what's the deal with the depth of the Lake of the Isles and Blacksnake Passage (the route to the International Rift)? My chart shows it being alarmingly shallow, but the one time I took my boat through there, I followed another boat with deeper draft and had no issues. Why is the chart off so much? Is there a secret route locals know? I don't recall any channel marking ATONs...

briangcc

Commander
I'd have to pull out my chart at home but I remember the cut being fine. I remember seeing 30'+ power cats, poker run cigarette style, etc. tied up leading into the Lake of the Isles. Also a floating hotdog and ice cream stand - again, been many years.

The only thing that got dicey was the entrance from the shipping channel into the lane to enter into the cut and that was due to all the large boat traffic and the wakes colliding.

briangcc

Commander
No chart numbers but I went over to Google Maps. I came in from the North between Hill Island and Wellesley. Without a nav chart I'm guessing I came through Ball Island/Cleopatra Island - I followed the shipping channel down from Kring Point State Park (Abay) to the Lake of the Isles.

Where it got dicey was Cleopatra/Ball Island and Mary Island State Park as the shipping channel (I'm pretty sure) takes a turn there and you'll be dealing with tour boats and lakers/freighters.

Best I can do from work for you.

Bondo

Staff member
I'm curious, what's the deal with the depth of the Lake of the Isles and Blacksnake Passage (the route to the International Rift)? My chart shows it being alarmingly shallow, but the one time I took my boat through there, I followed another boat with deeper draft and had no issues. Why is the chart off so much? Is there a secret route locals know? I don't recall any channel marking ATONs...

Ayuh,..... The only fairly shallow spot is where it gets really weedy as yer leavin' lake of the isles into the rift by Customs above ya,....
Donno's I've ever seen less than 3', 4', 5' goin' through there,......

the party coves run 7', 8',.....

Donno any shallows runnin' outa the lake nor'east bound,.....

I usually run Up the rift, ya got more control when meetin' other boats in the rift,.....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Well I did it. Spent 17 days on the boat earlier this month and had an awesome time. Did the first three days in 1000 Islands with my wife and some another couple, the next nine days cruising the Rideau Canal, Ottawa River and St. Lawrence River in a 450ish mile loop with just my wife, and the last five days back at 1000 Islands, also with just my wife. I posted the best photos from the trip here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10214060446017133&type=1&l=0ed1e8c2d7 There are a ton of photos, but I tried to make them all interesting.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I did it. Spent 17 days on the boat earlier this month and had an awesome time. Did the first three days in 1000 Islands with my wife and some another couple, the next nine days cruising the Rideau Canal, Ottawa River and St. Lawrence River in a 450ish mile loop with just my wife, and the last five days back at 1000 Islands, also with just my wife. I posted the best photos from the trip here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0ed1e8c2d7 There are a ton of photos, but I tried to make them all interesting.
Awesome pics! Thanx for sharing! That French's Marina pic bought back memories. A buddy of mine used to dock his boat there & we'd make the run from Clayton to Kingston, & Gananoque, Ont. The St. Lawtence is Heaven with a view!

Last edited: