No announcement yet.

1000 Islands, Rideau Waterway, Ottawa River, and St. Lawrence River conditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoy. We usually make a run down to Clayton to get some River Rat Cheese. Normal stomping grounds are Abay when I'm on vacation.
    2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
    2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
    1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
    1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mischief Managed View Post

That's a bummer, this topic is still very current for me (the OP).
      What I had posted, had been mentioned earlier, so I deleted it. Unfortunately I couldn't remove the post, so that's why I wrote what I did. Sorry

Comment

Ayuh,..... Just a quick up-date from the shores of Chaumont Bay,......

Water levels are fairly close to what is expected here in July,......

Comment

Originally posted by Bondo View Post
          Ayuh,..... Just a quick up-date from the shores of Chaumont Bay,......

Water levels are fairly close to what is expected here in July,......
          Glad to learn that, thanks.

Comment

I'm curious, what's the deal with the depth of the Lake of the Isles and Blacksnake Passage (the route to the International Rift)? My chart shows it being alarmingly shallow, but the one time I took my boat through there, I followed another boat with deeper draft and had no issues. Why is the chart off so much? Is there a secret route locals know? I don't recall any channel marking ATONs...

Comment

I'd have to pull out my chart at home but I remember the cut being fine. I remember seeing 30'+ power cats, poker run cigarette style, etc. tied up leading into the Lake of the Isles. Also a floating hotdog and ice cream stand - again, been many years.

The only thing that got dicey was the entrance from the shipping channel into the lane to enter into the cut and that was due to all the large boat traffic and the wakes colliding.
              2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
              1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
              1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:

Comment

No chart numbers but I went over to Google Maps. I came in from the North between Hill Island and Wellesley. Without a nav chart I'm guessing I came through Ball Island/Cleopatra Island - I followed the shipping channel down from Kring Point State Park (Abay) to the Lake of the Isles.

Where it got dicey was Cleopatra/Ball Island and Mary Island State Park as the shipping channel (I'm pretty sure) takes a turn there and you'll be dealing with tour boats and lakers/freighters.

Best I can do from work for you.

Tow Vehicle:

Comment

I'm curious, what's the deal with the depth of the Lake of the Isles and Blacksnake Passage (the route to the International Rift)? My chart shows it being alarmingly shallow, but the one time I took my boat through there, I followed another boat with deeper draft and had no issues. Why is the chart off so much? Is there a secret route locals know? I don't recall any channel marking ATONs...
                  Ayuh,..... The only fairly shallow spot is where it gets really weedy as yer leavin' lake of the isles into the rift by Customs above ya,....
                  Donno's I've ever seen less than 3', 4', 5' goin' through there,......

the party coves run 7', 8',.....

Donno any shallows runnin' outa the lake nor'east bound,.....

I usually run Up the rift, ya got more control when meetin' other boats in the rift,.....

Comment

Well I did it. Spent 17 days on the boat earlier this month and had an awesome time. Did the first three days in 1000 Islands with my wife and some another couple, the next nine days cruising the Rideau Canal, Ottawa River and St. Lawrence River in a 450ish mile loop with just my wife, and the last five days back at 1000 Islands, also with just my wife. I posted the best photos from the trip here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0ed1e8c2d7 There are a ton of photos, but I tried to make them all interesting.

Comment

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

Tow Vehicle:

Comment

Well I did it. Spent 17 days on the boat earlier this month and had an awesome time. Did the first three days in 1000 Islands with my wife and some another couple, the next nine days cruising the Rideau Canal, Ottawa River and St. Lawrence River in a 450ish mile loop with just my wife, and the last five days back at 1000 Islands, also with just my wife. I posted the best photos from the trip here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0ed1e8c2d7 There are a ton of photos, but I tried to make them all interesting.
                        Awesome pics! Thanx for sharing! That French's Marina pic bought back memories. A buddy of mine used to dock his boat there & we'd make the run from Clayton to Kingston, & Gananoque, Ont. The St. Lawtence is Heaven with a view!
                        Last edited by kpg7121; September 3rd, 2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X