1000 Islands, Rideau Waterway, Ottawa River, and St. Lawrence River conditions

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Last weekend, was the 1st weekend I had a dry concrete dock, the higher dock of course,...

I stopped by Monday afternoon, 'n saw seaweed up on the dock again, so it surged higher again,...

The lower corner of the lower dock is still flooded,....

Went for My 1st boat ride of the season, last Sunday,.... July 23rd,.... shoulda been April 23rd,.... :rolleyes:
'course, I had a few issues to fix in the tinbarge, 'n a few I wasn't countin' on,...
Coulda been in the water 2 weeks earlier,...

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the updates. Guess I'm going to take advantage of the free locks on the Champlain canal this Summer instead.

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It surged further up on the shore earlier in the week from wind and rain storm. Launch parking lot was filling with water and then receded...crazy. But looks like next few days are warmer with no rain..

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And there are boaters that still have NO respect for the the "no wake zone within 600 ft. from shore..."

AlphaJustin

Seaman
Eventually the people racing around ignoring the no wake rule will find a rail road tie or other large debris floating around the shores and no longer be an issue its natural selection in the boat world. I am docked on the south east shore of Ontario and I am still pulling large things out of the water around my dock every time I get out.

briangcc

Commander
Just got back myself. Water has dropped some as Bondo mentioned. BUT...there are a bunch more signs up regarding the 5MPH/No Wake 600' shore than I saw a month ago. And the area got hammered again on Fri/Sat. My Aunt posted pictures of her campground on Chaumont (sp?) with 4' rollers over her break wall. My cousin on Lake Ontario (close to Rochester) posted similar and last check I heard she's lost 25' of property to the waves.

I saw some boats following the restrictions but most were ignoring them.

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled my boat out of the water Friday, before the wind and rain hit. Water level went down during the 2 weeks there, down about a foot now from peak.. It's sad to see people have sand bags and no wake signs, and some boaters still have no regard for the speed limit.. NYS had a large illuminated sign on RT 12E near Clayton about the 5mph/600ft no wake zone.. A lot of the shoals that are normally above water are below water and can be dangerous to boaters not familiar to the areas.. Went down the Canadian channel first time since the incident in 2011 with a Syracuse fisherman in Canadian waters, no need to call Customs now if just passing through.. Now I have to clean the hull..

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I've had maybe a couple 3" of concrete showin' last week,...

The Big Blow over this last weekend raised it back up over the concrete,....
A Bud on Pillar Point had 8'ers, + out in fronta his place Saturday,....
Maybe 4'ers on Chaumont Bay,.... yes, I was out in 'em,.... ole lady, 'n the grandkids wanted to go swimmin',...

I've been YELLIN' at a few Hot Rodders goin' past my houses,...
I'm thinkin' limestones,.... if it lands in the water, it's just a native rock,.... :rolleyes:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Water levels are NOT going down in eastern Lake Erie. A big storm on Friday covered our lakeside windows and patio door in Bloom Algae. Strong south winds aren't helping north shore water levels. It is a rare sighting to see a boat out here this season.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
If the weather cooperates this year, we'll be doing this trip. Hoping to take a little side trip to Perth, ON too.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Hopefully, this year will be Better than last,....
But,....
Water level is still 9" above normal, for this time of year,....

At this point,... I believe plan 2014d is the Problem,....
I sure wish the eco-terrorists could be beat back, 'n plan 1958dd could be re-adapted,...
A 4' window of regulation mirrors mother nature's plan, so much better than plan 2014d's 6' window,...

Bondo

Staff member
Water level is still 9" above normal, for this time of year,....

Ayuh,.... Was just a piece on the local mornin' news,....

The water is now 1' over the normal level,....

At this point,.... I donno's I'm lookin' forward to Spring, 'n ice-out,...... :rolleyes:

briangcc

Commander
But isn't it much lower than what it was this past summer Bondo?

I've seen some pictures of my aunt and uncle's place on Lake Ontario and they're showing about 1-2' of difference between their docks and the water level. Last summer their docks were covered...by almost a foot or more.

Can only hope everyone gets some relief from all this flooding.

Bondo

Staff member
But isn't it much lower than what it was this past summer Bondo?

Ayuh,..... By a couple of feet,....

Bein' a foot to high now, is exactly how last year started,....
They knew plan 2014d was goin' to take effect Jan. 1, 'n started holdin' back water to meet the new trigger levels,....
Then it started rainin' in April, 'n didn't quit til October,...
We've already got soggy ground, 'n a near normal snow pack, with more snow in the forecast, as well as it's still snowin' now,....

Plan 2014d has limits of 3' above, to 3' below the mean water level, with hard set triggers, which the minds at the dam Must follow, without input for local "Now Time" weather forecasts,....
Plan 1958dd has limits of 2' above, or 2' below the mean water level, 'n the guy with his finger on the switch was allowed to alter the release as needed with the local "Now time" weather, 'n conditions,....
Which is pretty much how Mother Nature regulated the lake for the last 10,000 years,....
The eco-terrorists, "Save the River", founded by abby hoffman, seem to think they're much, Much smarter than Mother Nature,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Water level is at the high side of normal,......

Great for boatin',.....

Alittle tough on my water frontage though,.....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry to hear the water is damaging your frontage. Thanks for the report. Can't wait to get back there in August.

briangcc

Commander
Not sure when you're headed up BUT first weekend in August in Clayton is the Antique Boat show. It's held at the Antique Boat Museum. Runs Fri-Sun. Might be something to check out??

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure when you're headed up BUT first weekend in August in Clayton is the Antique Boat show. It's held at the Antique Boat Museum. Runs Fri-Sun. Might be something to check out??

Thanks for the heads up. I will be there then and will surely check it out.