St. Joe (MI) to Chicago Trip Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

drun_trucker

Seaman
A couple buddies and I are putting in on the St. Joe river and are heading over to Belmont Harbor in Chicago.

I've never made this trip before so I'm hoping some other members can give some tips to make the trip a bit smoother.

I will likely only be on bigger water a handful of times in this particular craft so I don't have S2S communication but have been researching decent GPS apps for Android to help me navigate.

My intent is to run shoreline the whole way (~68 miles) staying far enough off shore to hopefully keep in some clamer water. I have plotted 3 locations along the way to port in in case of low fuel or emergency and still maintain cellular service/signal.

We are traveling mid August and my research leads me to believe this time reduces the risk of high winds and break water...

My boat:
1991 Sea Ray 200 open bow
44 gallon fuel capacity
repowered to a 5.0LX (4bbl) from 4.3LX (2bbl)
current prop 4 blade SS 14.5x21 (optioned for water sports)

WOT Top Speed 40mph (ave)
Cruising Speed is around 25mph

My calculation suggest with my current setup fuel should not be an issue but I'm looking to re-prop for better cruising speed efficiency as hole shot won't be needed. I'm not too concerned with top speed either as it's not a race to the other side just a chance hang with friends and enjoy the trip.

So there's some background...if anybody has suggestion for places to port along the way, easy and inexpensive Android based GPS, distance off shore to travel ect. I'd appreciate the advice or suggestion.

drun_trucker

Seaman
Lake Michigan 1st trip. St Joseph MI to Chicago recommendations.

A couple buddies and I are putting in on the St. Joe river and are heading over to Belmont Harbor in Chicago.

I've never made this trip before so I'm hoping some other members can give some tips to make the trip a bit smoother.

I will likely only be on bigger water a handful of times in this particular craft so I don't have S2S communication but have been researching decent GPS apps for Android to help me navigate.

My intent is to run shoreline the whole way (~68 miles) staying far enough off shore to hopefully keep in some clamer water. I have plotted 3 locations along the way to port in in case of low fuel or emergency and still maintain cellular service/signal.

We are traveling mid August and my research leads me to believe this time reduces the risk of high winds and break water...

My boat:
1991 Sea Ray 200 open bow
44 gallon fuel capacity
repowered to a 5.0LX (4bbl) from 4.3LX (2bbl)
current prop 4 blade SS 14.5x21 (optioned for water sports)
Im not sure what my fuel consumption rate is at this point but I'm working on getting it figured out.

WOT Top Speed 40mph (ave)
Cruising Speed is around 25mph

My calculation suggest with my current setup fuel should not be an issue but I'm looking to re-prop for better cruising speed efficiency as hole shot won't be needed. I'm not too concerned with top speed either as it's not a race to the other side just a chance hang with friends and enjoy the trip.

So there's some background...if anybody has suggestion for places to port along the way, easy and inexpensive Android based GPS, distance off shore to travel ect. I'd appreciate the advice or suggestion.

southkogs

Staff member
drun_trucker - I deleted your other topic. Since it was the same as this one, let's keep the conversation all in one spot. Thanks.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Having boated the Great Lakes for 40 plus years I can tell you may want to consider a bigger boat, no matter how close to shore you think you are safe at. I would want proper laminated hard copy Nautical Maps for that stretch as well and know every safe port in a storm. A legal requirement for a 20 plus foot vessel 1 mile offshore here in Canuck waters. I have had my electronics go out and a compass is good but going in the right direction is of no help if you don't know what lays below you. I pad batteries can die. A good battery pack with computer/smart phone connections may be a life saver. I never leave the dock without battery back up and a back up kicker. I like back ups for back ups on big water. I have been called everything from anal to a chicken ****, some by boaters I have needed to go out and tow in during a bad storm.

edit: spend the 150 bucks and get a good VHF radio and 8' minimum Shakespeare aerial , not a hand held a good range VHS. You will wonder how you ever boated without it. No cell tower issues.

Good luck, have fun. I do like you are planning well ahead of time.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please don't start a topic more than once, even if you think it was in the wrong section. Let us know it should be moved or we'll find it and move it.

Take a boating safety course, your questions show the need.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Drun hasnt been back since mid July, not likely to get or reply to your question, hence the 90day inactive guideline

closed
drun, if you ever want this topic re-opened, flag my post or notify any Moderator via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.