Cross border boating

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone know the regulations when boating if you cross the border ? This would ne on inland lakes such as Osoyoos or Lake Kocanusa. Do I have to check into customs even if I don't go ashore ? thanks for any info

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know when crossing into Canada and Canadian waters you need to report it to the CBSA. With inland bodies of water I am not sure. You could always check the Coast Guard website to see if they have any info.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
You need to call in when you cross that invisible dotted line even if you don't "Land" in Canada. This is to advise them you are in their waters. If you "land", which means you've officially entered their country, then you have to check in at one of their "marine stations". Basically it's just a land-line phone located at various marinas around the border. You stop there and call in and give them all your info (boat reg #, you and your pax name and id #'s, etc) and they give you a number to verify you checked in. Keep this number handy if you ever get stopped. Once you've done this, then you can anchor or travel in the country.

If you have a NEXUS card (and everyone on board has one) then you can just call in.

IF YOU HAVE "LANDED" in Canada, then you need to re-enter the USA and contact our border folks. This is usually much more of a hassle than the Canadian side, because we don't have all the land-line locations like they do. You have to call into their #, then wait at your boat if they want to come out and inspect the boat...which can take HOURS, or they direct you to another location to checkin.

btw, the definition of "landing" or entering Canada is if you stop at a port, anchor, set foot on land (even if it's below water), meet up with another vessel. There is a grey area if you 'loiter' in their waters... it's OK to pass through, but if you're just going around in circles or drifting and swimming it's up for interpretation.

Bondo

Staff member
You need to call in when you cross that invisible dotted line even if you don't "Land" in Canada. This is to advise them you are in their waters. If you "land", which means you've officially entered their country, then you have to check in at one of their "marine stations".

Ayuh,.... Hopefully, thisd is gonna change back to the way it used to be,....

My State Senator has been up there tryin' to get the canunks to change their laws,....

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, there is some discussion going on how to either simplify or clarify these types of interactions. I've never had a problem going there...it's coming back that's the hassle! Can we send your Senator to the DHS to maybe take a crack at that?? ;)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Canada is a different country, and there is a lot of pressure to mirror the increased processes/delays Canadians face when we attempt to go to the US

89retta

I would be crossing from Canadian waters into the USA. But not going on land or anchoring. Just want to cruise the lake

82rude

Rear Admiral
You can report in using your cell phone.I live on a border with Soo Michigan and in the 40 years ive been here i never reported as that would mean id have reported in at least 10,000 times Theres American and Canadian boats bombing all over the river the phone system would be broke on day one.If you plan on landing its totally different story or if the waters become wholly in one country probably different again. Im assuming your going to be totally in Canada so save yourself grief and make a 1 minute phone call on your cell phone.

89retta

I live in Canada. And from what I've found on the net. Is that I don't have to report to US customs as long as I don't go ashore or anchor in US waters

82rude

Rear Admiral
Call U.S customs i would not doubt what you say is true.Im Canadian also and ive read our laws and frankly their the most idiotic,assine rules ive ever read and up here at least their totally ignored by everybody .I use to have a U.S A, landing permit at one time but that was for going to shore and covered a specific area which actually was quite large .

Last edited:

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
If you plan to do it frequently, your best bet would be to get a NEXUS card. Every person on board would have to have one, but then you can call in and it doesn't matter is you're just cruising around in the water or if you want to stop in at a port. I was just reading an article today (below) that shows the USA is tightening some of the reporting requirements that will primarily affect fisherman.

http://www.allpointbulletin.com/2017/03/31/border-crossing-by-boat-getting-harder/#comment-27495

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
89retta, From canadian waters to canadian waters via US waters, you are considered in "transit". If your vessel come to rest in any way, you are considered "landed". You also arrived in the US if you had contact with a foreign vessel.

If you are traveling the US waters, bring all passports and vessel documentation with you. You are always subject to a verification.