On the boat from Lake Michigan to New Orleans.

Genry

Recruit
I am not a US citizen. But I always had a dream to cross the United States on the rivers and canals from the north to the south. I have a dream to come to the US as a tourist and buy an inexpensive boat. For example this: http: //boats.iboats.com/1988-bayliner-boats-2850-ciera-sunbridge/1662700.html. (Rent a boat is very expensive). I plan to take a trip from Chicago Chicago canal. Then I will go with the Illinois River to its junction with the Mississippi River. Well, then go down the Mississippi River to the New Orleans.
I have a few questions.
1. Do I need to obtain a license to operate a boat? If so, how much it costs to get a license? And whether it is possible to obtain a license to operate a boat online?
2. What is the procedure for passing the locks? Do I need to pay for the passage of locks? If yes, what is the fee?
3. What is the fee for parking in the river ports along the rivers, including the Mississippi?
Thank you!

robert graham

Admiral
You really, really need to study on this before you depart....lots to know about and lots of dangerous water on the Mississippi....I have a book at home written by a guy that made the trip you describe and it was pretty darn tough sailing even for a highly experienced captain and boat builder. When I get home tomorrow I'll send you the name of that book......I even got to meet the guy several times!....

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Please share the book title with all of us, that sounds fascinating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

I wouldnt trust a 1988 bayliner that you didnt go thru completely and rebuild yourself. its a 30 year old boat known to have rot issues.

boat rental is expensive, simply because the boat is going to be sound, and have insurance. if you think that is expensive, wait until you sink $5k in just making that 30 year old bayliner seaworthy. Boating is an expensive hobby. about as expensive as air planes, and a bit more expensive than auto racing.

I wouldnt head out on a trip that long without a few years of boating under my belt, and at least a few months of boating various locations on the Mississippi.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Lots and lots of people cruise the rivers of the Midwest. There are almost no facilities for pleasure craft on the lower Mississippi River which is the section from Cairo, Illinois to New Orleans. Most people would advise you not to attempt that route.

The best way to get to New Orleans from Cairo, Illinois is to go up the Ohio River, which joins the Mississippi at Cairo, to the Cumberland River, a distance of 58 miles. From there, take the Cumberland River to Lake Barkley and then cross over to Kentucky Lake via a one-mile canal. From there follow Kentucky Lake to Pickwick Lake and then join the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway to Mobile, Alabama and then take the Intracoastal waterway to New Orleans.

There are no fees for lock passage. Docking fees at marinas vary from $1 to maybe $3 per foot of boat length. There is no federal license required to operate a boat. Some individual states may require passing a boater education course. Most of those can be done online.

I suggest you join America's Great Loop Cruiser's Association (AGLCA). There you will find a membership forum full of people who have taken the exact trip you want to take and much, much more. They are very generous with help and advice. It's well worth the yearly fee and you might find that you'd rather do the Great Loop rather than just Chicago-New Orleans.

http://greatloop.org

robert graham

Admiral
Please share the book title with all of us, that sounds fascinating.

The book is called: Log of the Andante and it is available and totally fascinating.....Richard Speas was a very talented, adventurous and brave boat builder converts a fishing tug to a family cruiser in 1959, launched in1961 with wife and 5 young kids from Michigan south for St. Croix, Virgin Islands, arriving in 1964....We're talking major adventure and all true accounts. Speas ended up running a wooden boat shop and museum in Welaka, Florida where we go often and I got to know him and some of his grown children. Richard Speas died about 3 years ago....what a life!...what a guy!......Get the book and read it!...