minimum boat size for Great lakes?

omaharj

Recruit
Preparing for retirement in the next few years. I plan on having a boat, mostly for fishing, for three or four years. I'm in the process of picking my next vehicle, and the Suburu Forester can tow 2700 lbs. I like many things about this vehicle and I would probably only tow in the Spring and haul home in the Fall. What size boat would be the minimum for a prudent person to take out on Lake Erie? ...and is the Forester enough to tow her? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With proper understanding of the weather, an 18 foot would be smallest. I prefer something larger.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
With proper understanding of the weather, an 18 foot would be smallest. I prefer something larger.

X2^^^^

With your Suburu you are kinda locking yourself into something on the small and towable end for Lake Erie. Like SD said, weather is key. On the right days a 12' row boat would be great. When the storms roll though you'd probably only feel comfortable on a 100' freighter.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Both previous posters hit the nail on the head. It's more the weather and wind than the lake itself dictating what size it you need. Maybe you could get something a bit heavier and possibly rent a truck to pull it the few times that you will have to tow it?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Example. First boat was a 23' cuddy with a single I/O. My wife is not a strong swimmer. There were days when it was fine...there were days that scared her. We moved up to a 34' twin I/O. Now, there are days when it fine...there are days when it scares her...lol.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I run a 17 footer I/o, To small for lake superior, it gets hairy when the wind kicks up, but never had to beach her yet. I suggest a 20 foot minim, weather and experience a big factor out there.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
As a Lake Erie boater I can tell you there will be days a Lake Freighter is too small. The problem with picking the right wind and weather days here a storm and or the wind can go from dead calm to 25 MPH plus in 20 minutes due it being a warm and shallow lake, much different than Lake Ontario that is deep and cold. With that Subaru you are looking at pulling a 19 foot aluminum with 115 HP maximum. That is what I have. I miss many a day on the water because of the winds. It is much better planning a day on the water today with all the weather sites available now at the touch of your smart phone. I have to say Lake Erie is the most boring body of water to boat on. I do because of the fishing, otherwise there are much safer and interesting boating opportunities near Erie.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have to agree about the freighters, I've seen them taking refuge among the Apostle islands when it gets nasty out there.

omaharj

Recruit
Thanks, folks. ​I was trying to convince myself there was a cheaper option. I don't want to avoid going out because the weather isn't perfect. I need to think 20' and 3000* lbs. I guess

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can tell you from experience the older you get the bigger the boat.

From a comfort standpoint hull type and weight makes a bigger difference than length.

At one point I went from a 19ft. X #2800 to 20ft. X #4100. The difference was day and night. Now at 22ft. X #5200, the limitation is my body. Advil is your friend after a day of fishing the rough.

These examples are way over your planned tow capabilities but you get the idea

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 19'Rinker cuddy with a custom hard top. I spend most of my time on the Great Lakes. I watch the weather and choose my times to go out. I wish I had a little bigger and heavier boat, but enjoy the economy of the smaller boat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If you are only towing spring and fall, go with a bigger boat and borrow or rent a truck for those 2 days.

20' and under 2700# ain't gonna happen.

My 18' open aluminum plus trailer and gear is 2500#; fully loaded for a week of vacation it goes 3200#.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If you are only towing spring and fall, go with a bigger boat and borrow or rent a truck for those 2 days.

20' and under 2700# ain't gonna happen.

My 18' open aluminum plus trailer and gear is 2500#; fully loaded for a week of vacation it goes 3200#.

Only other thing is thst much of your desicion will be determined by your boating experience.