Kingston to Ottawa via St. Lawrence and Ottawa River

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice
I am now planning for my once a year cruise for 2017, hoping to be in Ottawa for Canada Day. Has anyone done this particular route? I know I could go via the Rideau Canal, but I thought this might be more interesting. I have looked at the online maps but short of ordering the maps from the government I thought I would use this approach for information first.

roffey

Commander
I watch several youtube videos and it looks like a very nice trip. Some start in Kingston then go up the Rideau Canal to Ottawa and down to Montreal then Back to Kingston. I have been down the Ottawa Canal and it make for a nice relaxing boating day. The staff on the Canal are very helpful and look to enjoy the job.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know the Kingston - Ottawa - Montreal area very very well. The rideau canal is a much better route if you like visiting and don't mind frequent stops. If you never been its definitely a must. Park Canada will be providing free lockage in 2017 for Canada 150th birthday. 40+ locks (easy ones).

The St-Lawrence/Ottawa river can be boring with not much to see or visit past a certain point. Choose this route if you like burning fuel, waiting hours at the seaway locks and enjoy long rides. 5 seaway locks + 2 bridges + 2 Park Canada locks.

Either way feel free to ask. I'll be glad to help.

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this forum. That free locks and passage is good to know. It was because of all the locks that I had originally planned to go via the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers. We only do one major trip in a year and as the children are in Ottawa I thought it best to do the Ottawa river route, but that may now change.

I did not check YouTube, never really thought of that.

Off to Parks Canada to check on the 2017 celebration plans.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
No Title

I have really enjoyed this section of the Rideau Waterway Southern Section , and if you are a fisherman Dog Lake and Cranberry Lake have excellent fishing . Next time will be with my Airboat as the tender as some these fishing lakes are shallow and rock filled and some are really deep with their favorite secret whitefish at depth . I always treated them Canadian's in the Campgrounds to a good old American fish fry with secret batter that they love , haha it just Long Johns Silvers batter mixed with Canadian Beer . I didn't get my Fiberform not to use plus at 22' is just the right size for my needs .

Attachments

• photo255538.jpg
    photo255538.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255539.jpg
    photo255539.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255540.jpg
    photo255540.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: