We are going to our first lake cumberland poker run!

brupska

Cadet
We have owned our little 18 foot Rinker for three years now. We are going to our first poker run on Lake Cumberland, KY. No we are not going to win any races with our 94 Rinker 180 3.0LX. We do have a DIS VHF radio and a GPS unit for navigation though! I hope we don't get run over by the go fast boats! Any advice other then staying way to the right of the course? LOL

alldodge

Staff member
While there will be go-fast boats there, everyone is welcome on a poker run, or at least all the ones I've been on. You sign up and get a number, then go looking for 5 boats and you know their locations. There is also a mystery boat for an additional card. You find each boat and hold your number up, they pull a playing carb out of a bag. They wright down your number and what card you get. You then go to the next boat.

Along the way look for another boat anchored with folks on it, and you have to ask them if they are the mystery boat? If they are, they will pull another card and record it. The one who has the best Poker (hence the name) hand at the end, wins the money, and 2nd and 3rd place

brupska

Cadet
Well we had a great time this weekend! That is until our boat quit running at any rpm over 1500!!!! We just hit our 7th marina at Conley Bottom and filled up on fuel! We where going for our 8th marina at about 2pm. On my gps we where withing 2 miles of Burnside and the boat started missing or chugging! We turned around and ran it as best we could at 2500 rpm for about 10 mins and just got worse! We where able to run at 1500 rpm maybe 6 to 7 mph from Conley Bottom to State Dock. So maybe 22 miles at 6 to 7 mph!! Oh Did I mention it was storming, raining, and mostly at night!!!! Thank god it still ran and we had gps, vhf, and cell phone service!!!

brupska

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo252259.jpg
    photo252259.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252260.jpg
    photo252260.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252261.jpg
    photo252261.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Looks like Cumberland uses marina's instead of boats. Did they have a mystery boat or such?

These kind of guys just have way to much money and like to show off. Wish I could be one of those :rolleyes:

fetch

brupska

Cadet
Yes, this poker run uses marinas. No Mystery boat was used. There are nine marinas to stop at to get a card punched. You only have to visit five. If you visit eight of the nine you get a sixth card. Yes this poker run had 157 boats entered. 90% of them where really nice go fast boats!!!

brupska

Cadet
No, I have it down to a coil or the fuel pump. Working night shift now so I only get to work on it a few hours a day.

brupska

Cadet
Mine starts fine Hot or Cold. Just won't run above 1500 rpm. Fuel is clean, Just drained the tank. I am due for a carb rebuild so I am doing that now. I am going to replace the fuel pump, the coil, and put a fuel filter/ water separator. I am buying a compression tester and a remote start switch now too.

brupska

Cadet
Had a bad fuel pump that was causing the problem, I also rebuilt the carb. We took the boat out today and is running great now!!! I only have a accelerator pump lean bog issue. I am going to put the pump rod in the full stroke position this morning and test it again today!! Other than the lean bog off idle, the boat ran great! I even picked up a 1 to 1.5 mph!

brupska

Cadet
After moving the accelerator pump rod to a full stroke! My boat has never ran better!!!! I can't wait till next boating season!!!

MCFLYIN

Seaman Apprentice
Congrats on making the poker run and getting the boat back up and running. Awesome boats in the photos!

brupska

Cadet
Thank you! We really need to get more regular boaters out to the Lake Cumberland, KY poker run!!! I have a $5K boat and was treated like I had a million dollar boat. Everyone is the same. Yes, we made sure to stay out of the way of the 100mph+ boats. It's is really for everyone! We almost made eight marinas!!! LOL My own fault for not pulling better up keep on a twenty two year old boat!!!