Galveston to NOLA on ICW

slunkmonky83

Recruit
Has anybody been on the ICW between Galveston and New Orleans recently? I'm wondering if this trip I'm looking at is do-able or if it would be ill-advised.

I'm not a fisherman. If I got a boat, it would be simply to explore. I'm looking at the prospect of getting a Tracker 1860 Jon with nothing on it and outfitting it with a 9.9 HP engine. Bam Marine says with 1500 lbs (the boat is about 800 plus me, fuel engine, camping gear etc) I should be able to push 15 mph or so at 8 HP. Two days of 12 hours at speed would have me from Galveston to NOLA in 20 gallons or so.

Is there a reality to this I'm not aware of? I saw that 2 girls did the great loop on a 15 foot Duro boat once, sometimes pitching a tent on the deck. 5000 some miles. I'd have a bigger boat for a shorter trip.

If I wanted to do a 350 mile 10-15 mph cruise on the ICW, would a 1860 V-jon be a decent choice for a minimalist? The 1860 I'm looking at has the rear bench you sit on and then just a rectangle in the middle with nothing in it and I was considering the idea of having a place to sleep in there with a rain fly and mosquito net over it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I've been on the ICW north of Galveston on the back side of Bolivar Peninsula. There are a lot of tow traffic. You have to be extremely alert and careful to avoid swamping a small boat. There is a fair amount of open water to cross, it isn't all canal-like channels. I think you are overly optimistic about making the trip in 2 days. You have the traffic, locks, weather and all the unplanned for events. Here is a write up of a 4 day trip on a 46' boat, good reading - http://www.marinalife.com/magazine/...costal-waterway-from-galveston-to-new-orleans

I would talk to some one in the local Power squadron about your plan. And take the safety course!

Not sure if your new to boating, if your not ignore silly suggestions from me. Make sure you have a life vest, regardless if you can see both shores. Check on water temperature along your route. If you think you can do 12 hours that's great, but maybe have a backup plan for 6, so you have a plan if all does not go well. Think about a hand-held marine radio and a spare battery, most also receive the weather forecasts, you can hear the barge and lock traffic even if you don't need help. . Have one of those air horns that use a little air can. Spare bottle or two of water. Take a test trip or two. Maybe a 6 to 8 hour trip, camp and return, then evaluate the trip as compared to your big one.

Sounds like a blast, if your test trip(s) don't go well, don't give up.

Neuner

Seaman
**EDIT - just saw the date of your posting. Have you taken or decided on the trip yet?

I think that trip would be fun and quite an experience.

If I were you, and wanted to stick with a small boat and engine, I'd be looking at completing it with something like a RIB. I myself would not feel comfortable taking such a boat as you plan. It can be swamped, in some of the more grueling areas, as GA_Boater mentions.

Look at the small vessels that seals, commandos, coast guard and rescue use. It's for a good reason.

Twelve hours is a long time on the water especially if it is rough plus you'll have camp surveillance/location, setup and breakdown time that you have to consider. You shouldn't be out there by yourself when you are tired. I'd cut that time down some and give yourself some more breaks. Lean to the conservative side and assume you won't be traveling as quickly as you think. Truck drivers are limited on their time and the small craft you will be using will have an even rougher, more exhausting ride.

Last edited: