Electro-Mechanical Trim Indicators

tpenfield

Staff member
Update:

​I have my patent application filed - not an easy thing - but hopefully it is all set and will be going through the review process. The US Patent Office has a special program for 'the little guy' to apply for a patent. We shall see how that goes.

​Meanwhile - the port engine 'system' crapped out suddenly. The starboard side is still working. However, being a prototype system it is not easily fixed in the water. I may just deal with it for the rest of the season and figure out why it failed once the boat comes out.

​Of course, I had the same sort of thing happen with the traditional senders a few seasons ago and had to guess where the trim was. Kind of a P.I.T.A. but usually I can tell if there is too much 'up' trim, because the props tend to ventilate when coming up on plane or going through the waves, if the outdrives are trimmed 'out' much. This boat tends to like to run with the trim more 'in' than 'out' :noidea:

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick update -

I got the trim system fixed and should be hearing something about the patent application towards the end of the year.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting system, makes sense, nice work - and thanks for sharing!

tpenfield

Staff member
UPDATE: :)

I have been waiting and waiting for my patent application to be published. It seems like the USPTO is very much a waiting game, but my application has now been published.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20180364069A1/en?oq=20180364069

I was getting a bit worried because I would check the USPTO web site and not find anything, but they do say it is 18 months after the filing date 'til it gets published. Anyway, now that it is published, I can see the history of it as it goes through the review process.

We shall see how it goes from here.

tpenfield

Staff member
Congrats Ted

Thanks, Scott.

I was a bit surprised at all of the 'similar' patent & application references . . . most of them are not marine related, it seems. I figure the Examiners know best :)

I have not actually heard anything from the USPTO, not via email or regular mail for about the past 16 months. So, it was good to actually see something.

Meanwhile, my repair of the port sensor seemed to do well over the past season. The original linear sensor failed because the device got water in it, which seeped into the magnetic potentiometer, casing it to fail. I was thinking the water may have come up the Morse C33 cable, and had no place to go, since the device is otherwise sealed.

I may try my hand at a re-engineered version, based on my learnings from the 'prototype'.