Mako Recall

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
FYI - I saw this on a Canadian boating forum:<br /><br />"Re: TRACKER MAKO 282, 28', 1998 - 2001<br /><br />Numerous reports were filed by Surveyors regarding gelcoat cracking, especially near the stern.<br />The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has issued a recall for the above vessels.<br />The USCG bulletin states in part: “…the problem with this boat is not simple gelcoat cracking. There are significant structural problems with this boat that derive directly from design and construction. Specifically, the two feet that was added to the boat to extend it from 26 to 28 feet was not provided with adequate structural support to accommodate the weight of the outboard engines, which results in stresses in the hull that manifest themselves as cracks in the laminate. If left uncorrected, this lack of structural support ultimately will make the hull unseaworthy.” - Recall #: 030090T<br /><br /><br />Capt. Joe"<br /><br />If you have one of these be sure that you confirm this info.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mako Recall

solittle<br /> I worked for a Mako dealer in the late 80's and early ninties. the quality was so bad that we had stress cracks on the deck to gunnel joints and the transom area before unloading them from the transport truck, much less hanging a motor on them. we dropped the mako line in 93. I was hoping the quality had improved since.

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt,<br /><br />What do you think of the 26 footers with the traditional outboard transom cutout that were made in the late 80's to early 90's?<br />I have a 1978 25' and I'm thinking of moving up.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I just bought a 1971 22' Mako. The transom is totally solid. Unreal. We're going to close in the back so it gets a new transom anyway. Actually the boat is ready for a motor if we werent doing all the glass work to make it the way we want it.<br /><br />Well, OK....somebody painted the inside with a brush -- 3 coats -- so that has to go. Lots of work but the boat is very solid.

John Loudermilk

Recruit

I have a 1979 with a mariner 220 on it and it's great. Guess Mako just doesn't make them like they used to. I was told they were bought out around 1980. Can't remember by who though.