Driving lights for my boat

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,<br /><br />I have a 17' alum duck boat and I currently have a pair of Cabela's 55w docking lights mounted on top of the bow, all the way forward. They worked "OK", but one already went bad after one season, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a better quality, or perhaps even a more powerful model?<br /><br />Thanks!!!

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Driving lights for my boat

24 volt air craft landing lights will light up the sky

sloopy

Commander

What do you use this boat for? If all you use it for is hunting, then a good handheld spotlight should be all that you need.

rwidman

Lieutenant

You're not supposed to use lights to "drive" the boat, they are not "headlights". Leave the lights off and let your eyes get used to the dark. If you use any lights it will take several minutes to regain your night vision. Also, you will blind other boaters in the area.<br /><br />Check the Coast Guard regulations.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The idea of driving my boat at night in the dark is a little unnerving. But rwidman is right, the boat course I took instructs you to operate with navagation lights only. <br /><br />And I think they said if you're scared to be driving at night, it's ok to close your eyes too..... ;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Once you get used to your area in the dark it is easy to navigate.Just keep in mind reasonable speed as you cant see what is in the water or some fool running without lights.Careful use of a spot light to see key markers is ok just keep in mind not to blind other boaters.

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys,<br /><br />I don't go out in open water and "drive with my lights", my fault, I didn't make that very clear, or just assumed everyone duck hunts and knows what I meant :eek: <br /><br />I turn the lights on when I'm looking for rocks or other objects as I near shore, or when I run up a very narrow (like 20' - 60' wide) water channel. These trips are usually about 3:30 AM trips. <br /><br />I totally agree, when I'm running in large open water, or up river (BIG river) my eyes are the ONLY way to go. I guess I should have called them "docking lights" I was looking for...<br /><br />Thanks.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you really need lights for a boat like you do with a car.<br /><br />In daylight, for the most part, you can't see what you are 'driving on' anyway because it is all submerged.<br /><br />When I go out late or early, I use the spotlight that was mentioned to see markers or return to the dock.<br /><br />Joe

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A remote spotlight may be the way to go. gona cost a bit, but alot more vesatile than stationary lights, and if you shine the light only where you need it, you may not need as much power.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Danible

Cadet

I know exactly what you are talking about, I bet most of the people on the board never have set out dekes at o'dark thirty either. We use them and get about the same life as you. Not worth spending a lot of money on them, they will all burn out pretty quick. BTW - I never have a problem with other boaters on the water in November when it is 10 degrees outside, at 4:30 in the morning..

salty87

Commander

see if you can find a bowfishing website, those guys rig up monster lights.

fireman57

Captain

We duck hunt here and know exactly what you are saying. You are usually in shallow water and too early for your eyes to be awake. The problem is that you leave the truck where you had all the lights and you get on the dark backwater in a hurry because you are in a hurry and your eyes don't adjust that quick. We run a regular spot light mounted with a "remote control" like your mirrors on a car. We also put a red or orangish yellow film over them to cover the brightness so it doesn't spook much. You can see fine it is just not as bright. Kinda like shining up coyotes or gigging frogs. you just light up their eyes without the brightness to spook them. We see rocks, stumps, and drift well ahead of hitting them. Of course, like you, we are not going that fast at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning.