Keel repair on a aluminum boat

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 12' Duratech aluminum boat, it's missing a few rivits and the keel strip is worn away right at the base/bottom of the boat, where it's hollow. Is there any way to fix it without welding it or welding in new metal? And what is the best fix for missing rivits? Thanks

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: Keel repair on a aluminum boat

DO NOT WELD!(and this is coming from a weldor that fixes alum. boats) Use S.S. TRUSS HEAD phillips screws with flat washer and nylon locking nut on the back side. Drop of 5200 sealant around the screw head before inserting so that it squishes thru jus' a bit when ya push the screw in. Wipe of exterior with lacquer thinner soon as you tighten the screw. Use #10-24 X 1/2" size screw and drill out rivet with 3/16" drill bit. IMPORTANT! Remove all filings, champher all holes with large 3/8" or 1/2" drill bit. USE STAINLESS STEEL TRUSS HEAD PHILLIPS screws. Box of 50 ea. should cost about 4.50, nuts 4.50, washers 2.50. You could literaly dissassemble your whole boat and put it back together this way with different size screw for different size rivets. I do repairs and restorations this way.

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do I fix the keel runner on the bottom of the boat, it's hollow and worn through? This is what I was considering welding, that's the way the previous owner fixed a spot a little ways up on the same piece. Is it possible to just buy a new on for this boat?

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hI shaf, we used to use fiberglass and epoxy to patch alum boat when they got to that stage.Lasts for a while but delaminates eventualy.Probably didn't use the right products but im sure they would be available now.<br />just a thought.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

I am not familiar with your brand of boat, but I would contact the manufacturer and ask for a new keel part. Parts are usaually very cheap but they will cut it in half to ship to you(which you will have to weld together BEFORE you install on the boat. In addition you will have to back drill all the holes from above into the keel, it will not be pre drilled as general rule.). If your dealing with a stocking dealer of the boat, you can get the part with the next shipment of boats in it's full length. Another alternative is to form a piece of aluminum sheet metal to shape and weld it to the keel ONLY and NOT to the hull in any way or form, BEFORE using new screws. Fiber glass will exacerbate corrosion considerably. :cool:

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll see if I can contact the manufacturer, thanks for telling me how to get the new parts.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You won't be able to contact the manufacturer.<br /><br />Duratech was bought out by PennYan in 1965.<br /><br />My dad was a Duratech dealer.

aretert

Cadet
Ok

Ok

I've got a 12' Duratech aluminum boat, it's missing a few rivits and the keel strip is worn away right at the base/bottom of the boat, where it's hollow. Is there any way to fix it without welding it or welding in new metal? And what is the best fix for missing rivits? Thanks
I tend to agree mostly but im still not sure I understand everything here