Aluminum Boat repair - Rivets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Aluminum Boat repair - Rivets?

You do not need fancy equipment to pull 3/16 blind rivets. I have pulled well over 2500 of those on a 20 dollar home depot pop riveter. They aren't exactly weak either. I used them to completely rebuild the deck structure and hatches and all in an aluminum bass boat once, and they will hold a heavy load just fine. I am not talking about holding the sheet onto the structure, but building the structure with these.

Ayuh,....

My .090 well Bent motor mounts are Pop Riveted into my tin hull...3/16" Pop Rivets,...

No Problems at something over 800hrs, restraining alittle over 200 Horses...

Boater's are generally a pretty resourceful bunch,....
More apt to build a tool, than worry about Not having 1.....;)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Well this has turned into quite the can of worms eh?

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I've replaced a few rivits on some older 12'ers. No special tools but a supply of the right sized rivits and an extra set of hands help. Once replaced, i never had one leak again. That said, I've also used the "heat with a tourch and melt on sealent" kits from Cabelas. Not perminate but simple and I always got a couple years out of a repair (at minimum.)

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Well done project BassBoy..
You have to keep in mind that I do his for living and it has to rite the first time or customers come back or start bad mouthing my work. And being in business I can't afford to be less than perfect, especially if I'm doing warranty work for a manufacturer. At no time have I reached out to any particular person to "insult" them personally. My input is stricly from a technical point of view to get the job done rite the first time with no come backs. If you wanna use buck rivets, pop rivets, screws, epoxy, or bubble gum then fine, I've used them all too and all the more power to ya!

On a further statement:
I've come across on this board and others involving other subjects elsewhere on the net. There are two types of "opinions".
1. Those based indirectly on "opinions" and "feelings" of others.
2. Opinions based on real facts.

I subscribe to item two and it usually ruffles feathers of those that subscribe to item 1. So whatever my reputation is...I'm happy with it because I'm self confident of my abilities and try to pass the best of them along to those that want to listen or learn.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
RE: Aluminum Boat repair - Rivets?

On one further note, I do not subscibe to any one fix either. All my work may contain other types of fastners for new and old work as stated before in this forum. The subject is what is the "BEST" repair method in general for the guy who does not have many tools and on a budget.....

jlowmiller

Cadet

Alright, so I realize this thread has been dead for about a month, but I'm in need of some help too. I just inherited a 1981 Starcraft aluminum 16'6" boat. It has also had problems leaking from the seams, as well as some rivets coming undone. Speaking of rivets coming undone, one came off in my hands today and I'm suspecting more (probably all of them) are in similar distress. The aluminum itself doesn't appear to be bad.

Any good places to start guys? The previous owner tried coating the outside with a type of spray on enamel (the kind you coat porcelain tubs with) and its flaking off. It did not adhere well to the aluminum. I've had people try telling me Rhino Line, weld the rivets, and many other things.

I would like to replace all of the rivets that are bad, but don't know what I'm getting into. Any advice would be appreciated. Time to scrap? At this current moment my first feeling is that I need to find an angle grinder, put on a wire wheel and clean it all off.

Bondo

Staff member

Any good places to start guys?

Ayuh,.... Right in Your Own thread....

There's No reason to drag up these Old threads you've been dragging up....
Hi-Jacking somebodyelse's old thread doesn't do You, nor anybodyelse any good....

Read,+ digest the Knowledge,+ Use it in your Own thread,....
I know you've got 1 going,.. I posted in it....

jlowmiller

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Right in Your Own thread....

There's No reason to drag up these Old threads you've been dragging up....
Hi-Jacking somebodyelse's old thread doesn't do You, nor anybodyelse any good....

Read,+ digest the Knowledge,+ Use it in your Own thread,....
I know you've got 1 going,.. I posted in it....

My apologies, I simply wanted to bump up this thread as I thought it had lots of good information. I will refrain from posting any more here.

userdavid77

Recruit

I am looking for a boat repair men who have enough knowledge of all the boat parts and nitro gas installation in the boat. I was wondering if you want any services can pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.