Hurricane Deck Boat - Tri Hull or not

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking at the Hurricane deck boats which they (hurricane dealers) are calling modified V Hulls. I am considering purchasing the ?Hurricane 237 but an somewhat concern how it will handle in rough water. Anyone been in one on rough water or have any insight as to how it would ride.

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hurricane Deck Boat - Tri Hull or not

I don't know about Deck boats, but I had a Tri-Hull and it was rough in choppy water. It was very stable to fish and swim from, but as I said it was rough in heavy chop. Great on rivers and calm water.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I read a report on the Hurricane, and it is supposed to ride very well, and be more stable due to its outer sponsens. When looking at a boat that has a tri-hull configuration, you want to look at the deadrise of the main center portion of the hull. If there is a lot of deadrise, the boat will ride good despite having the outer sponsens. There were a lot of tri-hulls that had near flat hulls at the transom, and these configurations rode poorly. They also represented the majority of the designs, as they were basically "borrowing" Boston Whaler's original design. Some designs worked a lot better, however, and those are what you want to look for, like the Hurricane. Your best bet, take it out and run it. If you like how it rides, then buy it. The design does cause it to be heavier, so you won't be breaking any speed records. Good luck...

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

All depends on just how rough your rough water is. As Jason already said, really need to test drive it to be sure.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

SharkByte

Cadet

I have a Hurricane FunDeck 201 GS and I can tell you that it is not the best ride in rough chop. The modified V hull, with a flat hull at the transom, is very stable in smooth water, but will pound the crap out of you in anything over 2'-3'. I bought the boat knowing that I would be using it 99% of the time on protected inland lakes, and only occassionaly in the Gulf and ICW. If I had been looking for a boat under the opposite conditions, I probably would not have chosen a Hurricane, or many of the other deck boats out there. But, it fits my situation just fine, and I think that's what you should consider when deciding. Don't let others decide for you. If you will be spending more time in rough water than on smooth, the modified V may not give you the ride you are looking for.<br /><br />It's only 2 cents worth, use it how you see fit.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a rinker deckboat that has a similar hull I believe to the Hurricane units. It is a 17 degree deadrise and is not a true tri-hull but has the additional v's (I dont know the correct term) on either side.<br /><br />It rides very nice in rough water but it is almost 25 feet in length and pretty heavy. The hull does allow for quicker planing and a lower planing speed.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Reference's hull is like mine, except I measured about 22 degrees deadrise on my center "hull", which has allowed me to run full speed through some really choppy water with 2-3' foot chop. My limitations come when the water gets beyond 3 foot chop, then the front will slap a little bit, but I figure you should not be going full speed through that kind of water anyway unless you have a long hull with deep V. <br /><br />Click my link, and look at the first pic. If the Hurricane's transom deadrise looks like that, it will ride good. If it is more flat across, it will loosen fillings....

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i checked the brouchure i have and it says the deadrise is 12.5 degrees

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just read a review on the Hurricane SD237 i/o and the report said that even though the dead rise is only 12.5 the pure size of the boat allows it to handle rough water extremely well