Older Robalo

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 1977 20 foot CC with a 1978 140 Johnson and a traler. The hull looks great and the motor is tired the guy is asking 4500.00 for it is that a good price? Are the older ones good? he says it was made by AMF. any comments would be great.<br /><br />Thanks Bill :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Older Robalo

Bill - The Robalo has a good reputation here in south Florida. In my opinion a 20' CC with a 140 is a great combination. For pricing, I recommend that you spend some time at the marine/boat version of Trader on Line web site. Also buy a copy of Boat Trader available at many convenience stores.<br /><br />I don't know a thing about the market there or the condition of the rig so giving you any feedback on the $4,500.00 price is pretty much meaningless. Having said that - - you are looking at a 26 year old motor on a 28 year old boat. Now I am not a believer that newer is better but I would think that $3,000 - $3,500.00 would be a fair price but then only if in real good condition.

Bondo

Staff member

That's a $1500./$2500.00 boat in My neighborhood........... :eek: :(

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bill,<br />Check out the deck before you buy.<br />Old boats are built like tanks, however, they also have lots of wood underneath it all. Look for screw holes that were never filled...water rotts wood at those locations. <br />Last 1972 Mako i looked at had an original fuel tank. In order to remove it the deck and most of the boat would have to be cut apart. Go to a website called Classicmako.com. This site is filled with project boats...it will either give you some insight OR scare you away from old.<br />You have to respect these guys in restoring and old classic. Do you want to fish or sand your boat in your garage for 5yrs? <br />Just my 3 cents worth.<br />Michael<br />1st Boat=1986 Grady White Sailfish (Original Johnson outboards)<br />2nd Boat=1999 Pursuit 2470 Center Console w/Twin Yamahas<br />Now I fish more than fiddle!

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 45 days, boat prices are going to be down. And $4,500.00 will buy a lot more than a tired old boat and motor.