Smart Tabs on my Bass Boat

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I ordered my smart tabs from iboats, and they arrived. I got the Mobster Tabs and I'm installing them tomorrow.<br /><br />Lubedude: I got the same (almost) boat as you. Did you keep the 25 degrees, or did you have to adjust? I have a BassTracker 1710 w/ a 150 Merc. Looking at the instructions, I was thinking 30 degrees.<br /><br />I'll be on the water Sunday, and I'll submit my review. This almost feels like Christmas!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart Tabs on my Bass Boat

Rnsi;<br /><br />So how are they working? Need any Help?

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

John-<br /><br />UNBELIEVABLE PRODUCT! It's a whole different boat.<br />I'm planing at around 12 or so, and stays flat at any speed. I love them! Before the tabs, all I saw was clouds until I hit 20 or so, now I get some bow rise when I start, until I get to about 6. Never really felt safe in that boat until now.<br /><br />I haven't tried adjusting anything yet, just installed them with the recomended 25 degrees. Next time out, I'll run a string and check for proper movement.<br /><br />That sealant tape just tore up when I put the screws in though, so I filled all the holes with 5200. Hope they don't have to come off.<br /><br />I would like to put zincs on them for protection. I only use the boat in fresh, but I want them anyway. Do I get them from the manufacturer? Or do I use any zincs?<br /><br />Before and after photos:<br /> http://www.ramseynetwork.net/boat <br /><br />Also-<br />I removed the hydrofoil, should I cover the holes in the cav plate? Does it matter?<br /><br />Before I ordered these, I called Boater's World - never heard of automatic tabs; West - told me "I have a sailboat so I wouldn't know about those things"; and my local marina - they really don't deal much with smaller boats.<br /><br />I called the number on the website, and was told my they would solve all my problems. They have exceeded all of my expectations. Great product, Thanks!

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was my question, why did you remove the hydrofoil.. And how do you cover those holes????

LubeDude

Admiral

I ende up lightening up on the angle, and the preasure,.<br /><br />Aint it great how much difference they make. If all Bass Boat owners new about this there wouldnt be one without them.<br /><br />I posted this another place, but my wife and I took some freinds for just a boat ride last week end, First time I had four in this boat and I wondered how it would be. It performed just as if I was in it by myself. Jumped on plane very quickly and very smooth performance, They are ordering them for there boat they were so impressed.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GhostRider-<br /><br />After reading the posts here about the problems/dangers of hydrofoils, and John's remarks about not using any other lifting aid with the tabs, I thought it was best.<br /><br />But after seeing the difference the tabs make, and how much better the boat handles, I can't imagine that I have a need for the hydrofoil. If you haven't tried them yet, spend the money. You can get them right here at iboats for a very reasonable price.<br /><br />LubeDude-<br />You fit 4 on the boat? I got basically the same boat, and I'm crowded with 2! I gotta organize my stuff better.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

rnsi;<br /><br />Thank you for the response. <br /><br />The simple way to fill the holes is to use the screws (or others) that held the hydrofoil on. Put the screw heads on the bottom.<br /><br />The sealant tape probably ripped because you put the tape on the Hinge not the boat. We need to change the instructions to indicate that the tape should be installed on the boat. <br /><br />The hydrofoil will only produce more lift at crusing speeds and force the bow down, thus a loss of speed. The boat will also bow steer.<br /><br />How would you compare the low speed (hole shot) performance with Smart Tabs vs. the Hydrofoil?

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to buy them... for sure.<br />I hated that hydrofoil anyway, my right leg is full with small cuts from it, my small boat's ladder is a bit long, (i'm a big guy you know) and hydrofoil is right there...

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by rnsi:<br /> GhostRider-<br /><br />LubeDude-<br />You fit 4 on the boat? I got basically the same boat, and I'm crowded with 2! I gotta organize my stuff better.
I have the fish and ski model, dual consol. I took the front and back seats out for the cruise and didnt take any fishing equipment. It was just a few hours on the lake for a site seeing tour.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

John-<br /><br />No, I did put the tape on the transom and not the hinge. The instructions do say that. The screws tore up the tape and brought it into the hole. I thought that was by design to help plug the holes up. So after the first screw started to do that, I pulled it out, filled the holes with 5200, straightened out the tape and put them in. I think that even if the tape does nothing for me, the 5200 will seal it all up.<br /><br />As far as the holes in the cav plate, I'm not worried about looks - It's under water. No-one will see it. My question is will these holes cause any problems? There's actually 8 holes in the plate. I guess the motor had a hydrofoil before I bought it and it was removed. If there is no performance issue then I probably wouldn't bother.<br /><br />The hole shot? Like I said before...it's a whole new boat. I'm not sure the hydrofoil was really doing much. The boat gets up and goes now. But most importantly, I move foward - I'm not launching for the moon.<br /><br />So what about zincs?<br /><br />Thanks

LewisW96

Seaman Apprentice

Which Monster Tabs did you get? The Traditional Mounting or the Angled mounts<br /><br />Lewis

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lou-<br /><br />I went with John's recomendation and got the MT1175-60. There's a link to photos above.<br /><br />Get them. Worth every penny.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I put 'em on my 12 foot aluminum boat with at 15HP on the back. I love them! The boat is faster, more sturdy, and rides higher and flatter.

LubeDude

Admiral

When I mounted mine, I used the double stick foam tape from 3m. Itallowed me to stick the tabs to the boat while I drilled the holes, mae the installation very easy. I also used a sealer around the screws when I put them in.<br /><br />rnsi, your are right, our boats are very similar, Can you even imagine the boat is even the same boat? I get flack from other bass boaters at the ramp about them. Such as, "Why do you have them things on there"? "If you have to have them then something must be wrong with your boat"><br /><br />I actuall got into such an argument with one guy, I had to put my boat back into the water and blow him out of the water.<br /><br />I was so far ahead of him by the time he even got onto plane, that he couldnt have caught me even if the lake was bigger, he had a 175 HP on a 19' boat and I kicked his but bad. He then wanted to talk. I loved it. He accused me of having a 175 or 200 under the cover.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Double stick tape - that would help. That was the worst part of the install. The instructions say mount the tab to the hinge first, then place it and mark the holes. Too hard hold to it still - at a bad angle - and hold the pen with my teeth. Had to disassemble them so I could hold it easier.<br /><br />Still wish I had these a year ago.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

rnsi ;<br /><br />The holes in the cavitation plate should not be a problem.