Best way to tie up to a buoy for long term mooring

mikereno1

Seaman Apprentice
Getting ready to put our new to us boat in the water for the season and looking for advise about what the best way to tie up to the buoy would be. We ordered an 18" Sur-moor T3C buoy but what type of line is best for mooring? There are so many types of mooring lines I want to make sure we get the right one

It will be in a clean fresh water lake on the buoy for the summer.

Ned L

Commander
Re: Best way to tie up to a buoy for long term mooring

Ah,..... What type & size of boat? ( Sort of important to the question.)

mikereno1

Seaman Apprentice

Right, I suppose that would help. 21ft Cobalt

Just wondering if I should go braided, three strand, etc and how thick, or would any standard line work?

Ned L

Commander

For the 'painter' it doesn't really matter whether you use braided or stranded line. (The "painter" is the name for the length of line from the bouy to the boat.) 1/2" would be fine, and stranded will be easier if you plan on splicing your own eyes (and don't forget to use a thimble where it shackles to the bouy / chain). You should have some proper chaffing gear where the painter passes through the chock at the edge of the deck.
..... You purchased the mooring bouy, but what do you have for a mooring?? and you will be using chain between the mooring and the bouy I trust.

Last edited:

mikereno1

Seaman Apprentice

We ended up using an auger for the mooring instead of the large concrete block, chain from there up to the buoy.

Thanks!