Bimini top excursion rubber or can velcro be used?

Rustytruman105

Recruit
I have made a new Bimini and enclosure for a sundancer 240. The original window panels had a rubber excrusion sewn on them. This rubber with a channel pushes into a channel above the glass windshield. I can reset the original excrusion pieces on my windows, but they just don t go back in the channels without a great deal of work. The newer boats now use snaps. Finding the right snap to go into that channel is tough, the regular aluminum snaps will break. Has anyone had luck with using the industrial strength velcro on the outside of the boat? I was thinking of sewing the velcro on the windows then attaching the other side to the aluminum on the boat with the glue that is on the velcro itself. I was then going to make a strip cover to attach when the windows are not in place to protect the velcro. Will the velcro hold is my question?

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Bimini top excursion rubber or can velcro be used?

I had a 240. I drilled & screwed the snaps in the channel. Then put the caps on the Bimini after i trimmed off that rubber edging. If you call Taylor Made Co.( The maker of your frame and glass) They might have the expandable snaps that the went to in later years. They expand as you tighten the screw

Rustytruman105

Recruit

I had a 240. I drilled & screwed the snaps in the channel. Then put the caps on the Bimini after i trimmed off that rubber edging. If you call Taylor Made Co.( The maker of your frame and glass) They might have the expandable snaps that the went to in later years. They expand as you tighten the screw

Thank you so much. I found them. In case anyone else has this issue, they are called "windshield male snap adapters". I found them at Taylor Made. Thank you again.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Velcro might work if you are moving slow, but at speed I could see your Sundancer becoming a sailboat.

Thalasso

Commander

No problem. They are a real pain in the a%^7 for sure. Especially if it's a little cold out or having to get them up because of a downpour