New Bimini top on Ebay REALLY cheap????

DMGO

Cadet
There is a guy on Ebay selling brand new Bimini tops for $116 with free shipping. The company name is Northeast Harbor. I really want to get one for my small v-hull, and the price is crazy cheap. So, what do you all think? A waste of $, you get what you pay for, etc? Just go to Ebay, and do a search for Bimini tops, and this pops right up.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: New Bimini top on Ebay REALLY cheap????

Generally, you do get what you pay for with these. If you use economy fabric and a light gauge aluminum frame, you can sell them pretty cheaply. But how long will it stand up to the elements? You also have to consider after-sale service. Can you get replacement of parts if something fails during the warranty period? Is there any warranty in the first place?

My humble suggestion is to give the sponsor of this forum a call and see what they can do for you.

Expidia

Commander

I had my Overton's $249 frame snap like a twig when I brushed up against a piling. The material was top of the line Sunbrella but the cheap chinese made frame is crapola. I can imagine the quality of a $126 set is.
better off buying a decent bimini on a closeout or overstock. You just dont have a wide choice of colors on closeouts/overstock. Search the web for bimini closeouts.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral

If you can believe what they say then it appears to be a good deal. The ad claims to be 600D canvass and if that's true then that is a pretty fair material. You will have to be sure it is dry before packing it away cause canvass will mildew if wet. I had on many years back and it served me fine, just can't believe they are still selling for that price. I am sure it is not a heavy duty frame as it is only 7/8" but that is what I have on my boat and it works fine, I just don't use it in a storm.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I bought a $140 bimini from safeguard covers 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. It has a 5 year warranty and the seller is right here in Orange County CA. I know they are certainly not made here, but I have somewhere to go if I have trouble with it.

boat smaller.jpg

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Once you drill holes in your boat to mount the cheap top the holes are fairly permanent. Wouldn't you rather have a better top that you can get replacement parts for than a bunch of holes where you have mounted several cheap tops that may last a season and may not?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

What boat will this be going on? It makes a difference. I have a $3k 28 year old boat, so I was not real picky. I just needed something to shade my family from the 120+ degree heat at Lake Mohave.

If I had a nicer boat, I would likely have gone a little higher end. However, like I said, it is holding up just fine so far.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it must be really expensive to ship an odd-shaped item like a bimini so if the seller is absorbing that cost, what's he's selling is really really cheap.

eavega

Lieutenant

I have one of those "el cheapo" tops on my boat; got it for $130 including the rear support poles. The only additional holes I had to drill were for the strap supports on the front (the mounting points for the original tops that came on my boat when new were in the right place). So far the top has performed as expected. The poles don't seem any better or worse than others that I have seen. I run the boat at full speed with the top deployed, so its not like I have babied it. I figured at a third of the cost of a brand name top for a boat that I paid less than $3K for, I come out ahead if it lasts a few seasons.

Its the same top that is deployed in my signature pic, by the way...

Rgds

Eric

SDSeville

Lieutenant

it must be really expensive to ship an odd-shaped item like a bimini so if the seller is absorbing that cost, what's he's selling is really really cheap.

The shipping is actually not bad. The frames are 3 pieces each (the 2 arms and one top piece), so it ships in a much smaller box than you would think. Once together, it is very stable.

I have had more expensive (but still aluminum framed) biminis on other boats and this one seems very similar once installed. The wildcard to me is wondering how long the material will last.

jobofly

Seaman

I have one of those "el cheapo" tops on my boat; got it for $130 including the rear support poles. The only additional holes I had to drill were for the strap supports on the front (the mounting points for the original tops that came on my boat when new were in the right place). So far the top has performed as expected. The poles don't seem any better or worse than others that I have seen. I run the boat at full speed with the top deployed, so its not like I have babied it. I figured at a third of the cost of a brand name top for a boat that I paid less than $3K for, I come out ahead if it lasts a few seasons.

Its the same top that is deployed in my signature pic, by the way...

Rgds

Eric

i too am looking for a cheap bimini top. where did you order yours from?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The seller bends the frame in on itself so the package is relatively small. The cheap ones are really easy to straighten. lol

With the 3 pieces and the 90? is short on top, so the package isn't shipping unfriendly. The ebay'er says the frame is "double wall". mmm

It's the fabric that determines the cost. Many ads for only new fabric only are way more than these tops.

51ferguson

Recruit

I bought one of the "cheap" bimini tops off of ebay about a month ago, and installed it on my 18' aluminum grumman flat bottom boat. It was shipped from Kentucky and I think I bought it from the seller that the OP was asking about. So far I am happy with it. It is pretty sturdy and the canvas is pretty heavy duty looking. It even came with a "boot" to cover the canvas with when in the folded up position. Free shipping and was super fast. I ordered at about 2:00am on a Wednesday morning and I got it via Fed-Ex at about 9:30 am on Saturday morning. That was from Kentucky (Lexington I think) to Ruskin fl. I thought that was fast. I've had mine opened up on the water at about 25-35 mph and it stood proud. I think they are a good value, and it comes with a five year warranty. my 2 cents.

Billy

UncleWillie

Captain

...The wild-card to me is wondering how long the material will last...

The fabric is Canvass, Think Cotton.
Sunbrella is Acrylic, Think Plexiglas.

If you keep the Canvas/Cotton dry and out of the elements when not in use, it should hold up.
If you intend to keep it open all time, one season may be the limit.

DMGO

Cadet

OK. Could hold out no longer. I ordered the Bimini Top from the same seller on Ebay. It should arrive in a few days. I'll post when I see the thing.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. Could hold out no longer. I ordered the Bimini Top from the same seller on Ebay. It should arrive in a few days. I'll post when I see the thing.
I just took the plunge and ordered one today too! I figure for $99 shipped for a complete Bimini, rear support poles and a storage boot I couldn't really go too wrong.
All of the amazon reviews (same company/product offered there too) were pretty positive too.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Let me know how it goes, I'm also looking for a new top.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I ordered an el cheapo from ebay as well, the guy (from Boatarama) was awesome to deal with when I cut my poles too short (he did advise against before I did it!). Communication was excellent as well (he gives out his cell number and readily answers it).

The quality was on par with the more expensive bimini I purchased for the Baja (Sharkskin and support poles cost extra, ad I almost always had issues with the nylon fittings breaking as I trailer with in boot, but up off boat). My ebay one is a 600D polyester, while not exactly Sunbrella or Sharkskin, it seems as well made?! The aluminum poles are only double-walled where the connect to the cross pieces, otherwise they are the same thickness as my previous mentioned one. I paid $126 shipped, plus an add'l $75 for the 36"H poles (see previous mentioned cutting)...

All in all, I'd order another in a second...I would advise to go to a local (or online) store and purchase standard mounts/fittings, that way they'll be interchangeable should one decide to up-grade to a Taylor Made or WEST Marine?

~Brett

Last edited:

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know how it goes, I'm also looking for a new top.

I just got mine this afternoon and installed it. Seemed like pretty good quality, the canvas was pretty heavy and vinyl backed. The poles seem pretty thick, nice straps and all stainless hardware, the storage boot was nice with a fairly heavy duty zipper and the support poles are a major plus.
I haven't ran the boat with it yet, but all in all, I think I'm going to be happy with it. The only thing I want to do is either thru-bolt the mounts & eye hooks or maybe put some 5200 on them just for my added piece of mind.
$99 shipped seems like a no brainier at this point. We'll see