No announcement yet.

From the Northrup Grumman F6F Hellcat to a canoe on the Pere Marquette River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Northrup Grumman F6F Hellcat to a canoe on the Pere Marquette River

Attached Files
    Owned one
    33.33%
    Paddled one
    66.67%
    Paddled one in Michigan
    0.00%
    Paddled one on the Pere Marquette River
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: From the Northrup Grumman F6F Hellcat to a canoe on the Pere Marquette River

Those old aluminum canoes were durable and require very little maintenace. They are great to have at a lake house for occasional use, but they are heavy and don't paddle as well as canoes made of darn near anything else. The aluminum sticks to rocks so well I joke that the bottoms of my river shoes should be made of it.

Comment

Re: From the Northrup Grumman F6F Hellcat to a canoe on the Pere Marquette River

Most guide and fishermen use river boats on the PM and most other rivers here in MI targeting chrome and salmon. Canoes not so much, even with stabilizers. Still a very cool looking water craft, I have never seen these before and grew up in MI.

Comment

I paddled Grumman canoes many times in Illinois and Wisconsin during the 70's and 80's. They were common rental boats and I had a friend whose family owned one. We used to use it a lot on Green Lake. One of my paddling buddies used to paddle the Chattooga in a Grumman with a shoe keel and a styrofoam block for flotation. I've never seen a canoe like the one in the picture though.

Comment

Those factory original 'squatt boards' are really neat!!! They should keep the stern from squatting with an outboard on it, and allow the canoe to actually 'get up on top' and plane quite nicely. I will be curious to hear what you think of the performance with them.

Comment

Working...
          X