Bimini Top mount to windshield 19' Bayliner Capri

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyray122

Recruit
Trying to figure out how to mount a bimini top to my 1989 19' bayliner Capri open bow. It seems like it has to mount to window frame, because window is curved in towards inside of boat so the pole will hit the window frame if I mount it on the inside of the boat. I dont really have any flat area on the outside of the window, so I guess I got to mount to window frame. Any one have any input? Do I need a special mount to go to a window frame? Is the window framed designed to handle that?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: Bimini Top mount to windshield 19' Bayliner Capri

I have the plastic window mounts for my factory bimini and I mounted mine vertically on the exterior gunwales as mounting to the top of the windshield on the 36"H x 79-84"W x 60"L bimini looked ridiculous. They're are SS mounts and Nylon mounts available on ebay and possible other websites? Not sure about iboats?

Here's how I mounted mine (found vertical mounts locally).

BTW, Welcome to iboats forums...some of the best people in earth regularly provide good solid advice and information that would cost you in the real world!!!
~Brett

Maclin

Admiral

I think you would be best served to mount outside like Baja-U's example. Get it long enough to reach over the windshield and lay flat just in front of it when folded for a good storage option. Those support poles are the ticket also, very utile.

The factory option top that comes with some Bayliner models have poles with bends in them to clear the windshield when mounted inside. For an aftermarket one, they make all kinds of mounts, like rail mounts that can go on the top of a curved rail surface. Also some swivel deck hinge mounts can go on the side of the rail and the middle can pivot and catch the pole end mount.

Usually the rail mounts are for the convertible type tops that snap to the windshield. Typically shorter poles and not as much stress/leverage on the rails.

I recently finished a top mount project and the pic attached shows what I used, they worked out great. A good look and with the swivel can match almost any angle. I had stainless poles on that project so this made the whole thing look custom when finished. They were about $15 each.

"MARPAC BOAT BIMINI SIDE OR DECK MOUNT SWIVEL HINGE STAINLESS STEEL "

Attachments

• bimini deck hinge swivel mount SS.jpg
    bimini deck hinge swivel mount SS.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the plastic window mounts for my factory bimini and I mounted mine vertically on the exterior gunwales as mounting to the top of the windshield on the 36"H x 79-84"W x 60"L bimini looked ridiculous. They're are SS mounts and Nylon mounts available on ebay and possible other websites? Not sure about iboats?

Here's how I mounted mine (found vertical mounts locally).

BTW, Welcome to iboats forums...some of the best people in earth regularly provide good solid advice and information that would cost you in the real world!!!
~Brett

Baja-U,
After clicking on the pic that you posted of your boat it took me to the photobucket page where its at, and not to be a creeper or anything I looked at some of the boat pics you have on there of some of the work & before and afters of what you've done to some of the various boats, man I've gotta say I'm impressed! You do great work!!! Nice boats :yo:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Baja-U,
After clicking on the pic that you posted of your boat it took me to the photobucket page where its at, and not to be a creeper or anything I looked at some of the boat pics you have on there of some of the work & before and afters of what you've done to some of the various boats, man I've gotta say I'm impressed! You do great work!!! Nice boats :yo:

Thanks for compliment...there are others on here that are far more talented than I! I'm just cheap!

sparkyray122

Recruit

Thanks for the info and the pictures will help me figure it out. I bought this boat at the end of last season, only had it in the water one time. Now it's at my mechanic getting some issues resolved I found last year. As soon as I get it back I will attempt the bimini top install. I don't have a bimini top yet, need to order one, I was planning on getting a 46" high top but I noticed you guys installed 36" can you stand up under that?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info and the pictures will help me figure it out. I bought this boat at the end of last season, only had it in the water one time. Now it's at my mechanic getting some issues resolved I found last year. As soon as I get it back I will attempt the bimini top install. I don't have a bimini top yet, need to order one, I was planning on getting a 46" high top but I noticed you guys installed 36" can you stand up under that?
It all depends on how it's mounted and such? Measure from deck/floor to mounting point...add ~36"? I mounted mine outside as to avoid having velcro flaps on my mooring covers. I like to leave the bimini on and still put covers on? Get a yard stick (they're 36") start measuring from different mounting locations...If you cannot stand up, get the 46"?

Post a pic once done? BTW, I found many polyester based ones on ebay for ~$120 bucks! They are not as nice as stainless steel ones, but they're inline with other more expensive aluminum poled biminis?!

~Brett

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a 99 Bayliner Capri 19'. I mounted my Bemini just behind the windshield on the flat section. Sorry no pics right now. My main concern was coverage and if it would lay down across the back when not in use. I installed the angled back braces rather than using the straps. When I fold it down I pull the pins on the main braces and leave the back connected. This gives it enough "reach" to lay across the back of the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.