Vinyl flooring

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I'm wondering what types of vinyl flooring that folks are using. Non slip is very important. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Vynl flooring

I know I am in the minority, I hate vinyl in a boat,...

It is hotter than all blazes in the summer, And slippery as snot in the fall/winter fishing in a snow storm,.....

Did I mention I hate vinyl in a boat??????

Other opinions can and will very,...........

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Can you do carpet? What about SeaDek?

I kinda' agree with Teamster. I've seen vinyl in boats that start to peel - plus the reasons mentioned above. Yeah, it may be easier to clean fish guts or hide some imperfections...oh and it's cheap...but'it'll make your boat look cheap as well. IMO and respectfully of course.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just don't want the carpet to hold water in after I just restored her. Maybe dark colored carpet would be ok. Hide stains and the sun would heat it up and hopefully dry it out. We do fishing as well as swimming and other minor water sports so it WILL get wet some.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Marideck sold by ******** or Cabellas is the same product that is OEM in Starcraft, Lund, Alumacraft et al. It is completely skid proof and non slippery when wet and will last the life of the boat. Lot of people like Nautolex, but they are a bit more expensive. I have experience with boats that are 31 years old and 43 years old and both still look like new.

If you aren't concerned with long service life, go ahead and buy carpet. Actually, a good carpet and a good vinyl cost about the same.

Aethestics is personal choice. My last 2 boats were custom ordered with Marideck and I had to wait for them to be built because carpet was the standard option.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I just don't want the carpet to hold water in after I just restored her. Maybe dark colored carpet would be ok. Hide stains and the sun would heat it up and hopefully dry it out. We do fishing as well as swimming and other minor water sports so it WILL get wet some.

I get it, and again, I wasn't trying to make fun or force an opinion. I am not familiar with what Jim mentioned but it's worth a look.

Good luck tonight BTW. I'm heading to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Nautolex
Have put it in a few boats.

Natural and Shark colors cover worm dirt and fish dirt the best.

Sandstone and Natural color covers sand and soil very well.

Never a problem with it, lasts forever.
Textured, slip resistant, and the lighter colors stay pretty cool.

And whoever said vinyl is "cheap", must not be buying the good stuff.

Best price on Nautolex is $23 a yard, here: Marine Vinyl Flooring | Nautolex - Gary's Upholstery Supplies

marfloorsand.jpg

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Vinyl Flooring

Re: Vinyl Flooring

And whoever said vinyl is "cheap", must not be buying the good stuff.
Best price on Nautolex is $23 a yard,

We don't if the "cheap" comment was referring to the price or the quality.
But remembering that at $23 a yard, and a yard of Vinyl is two yards wide,
$11.50 a square yard is not overly expensive by any means.
The OP has a 17 ft Boat. 4 yards for under $100 is not a bad deal at all.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No, not expensive, but really not much cheaper than marine carpet.

People experiencing cracking or peeling, or slippery floors, are likely buying Home Depot flooring, not marine flooring.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Vinyl flooring

I love my Storm Gray Nautolex vinyl!

The lighter color keeps it cooler in the summer sun and it's a breeze to clean, nothing stains or sticks to it... not even red clay mud or dried fish blood.

It is extremely durable and non slip.

As far as it looking cheap, everyone that sees it for the first time thinks it's carpet until they reach down and touch it.

I'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever own another boat with crappy water absorbing, mildew breeding, rotting, stinking, staining carpet again!!!

This is my installation thread if anyone is interested:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ir/97-tracker-pro-deep-v-facelift-509163.html

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I have Nautolex in Sandstone. Excellent grip, even when wet. Dries quickly. Hides dirt. Whatever you choose, don't go for less quality to get a better price. You put in too much effort and aggravation when you put any covering down to have it fail and need to do it again. I replaced the original installed in my '72 Starcraft (I think it was Nautolex) after 40 years of regular use only when I had to tear up the floor anyway. - Grandad

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

A buddy of used a product called durabak................It's only been about three years but it still looks new, it does get hot in the sun on bare feet.........but everything has it's pro's and con's