anchor light on bimini top

Status
Not open for further replies.

agallant80

Commander
Any one have any ideas how to mount the anchor light on the Bimini top? Photos or anything?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: anchor light on bimini top

While the stearn light must be above everything else on the boat, including people standing,
Mounting on a Bimini poses more challenges than it is worth.

My boat came from the factory with a stern mounted light on a 5 foot pole.
The light and pole are stored under the gunnel lip when not in use.
It only take a minute to set up or store and is not in the way during the day when not in use.

They are available in 2 to 6 foot heights.

Comogene

Cadet

Actually, the sten light does not have to be "above everything else." Regulations merely require it to shine a white light over a arc of visibility of 67.5 degrees on either side of dead astern (135 degree total arc). The anchor light needs to be "above everyting else."

There are some portable (battery operated) anchor lights. For a mount, you might consider a magnetic base with a steel disk under the bimini. A lot will depend upon how flexible the bimini material happens to be.

Then you could mount it on a pole and find a method of securing the pole to the gun'l and plugging into a lighter outlet.

Gene

Gene

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Alotta boats have a flip-up kinda moorin' light, mounted top-center of the windshield,...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Years ago I boated on a "Metroplex" associated lake, about 30,000 acres, after dark. If you don't know what a Metroplex is, Dallas, TX. and suburbs are just that. Lake is Ray Hubbard.

Many sail boats would be out on the lake at night with all the lights out but the white light on top of the mast. Luckily for me, most of the hulls were white and I could see them when motoring my power boat and 20,000 candle powered spot light. The "top of the mast" USGG required light was totally USELESS. Why? Well if you have never been there and done that as probably the morons that made the requirement haven't, you can't see the mast light for all the background lights from the "Metroplex".

Okaye, go to California where you have you have mountains and all that, and lakes above the highways and all........worse yet.

Nuf said,
Mark

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Luckily for me, most of the hulls were white and I could see them when motoring my power boat and 20,000 candle powered spot light.
I thought you weren't supposed to do that. :mod:

Maclin

Admiral

Wiring and folding do not mix well.

My boat has the windshield mounted light mentioned by Bond-o. It has two bulbs, one on for Nav and 2 on for Anchor. It is above my top because I only use the convertible style top that snaps to the windshield. At full extension it may be above the height of a Bimini though.

Mine is an OEM installed item with fully integrated wiring and switches and fusing on the dash, but these may be a simple add-on worth looking into.

Attachments

• Nav Anchor lite.JPG
    Nav Anchor lite.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 5

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our pontoon has one mounted on the rear of the bimini. Wiring was run through the tubing and has a connector at the pivot point in case you want to remove the bimini completely, The light is on a swivel mount so it can be used with top up or down. sorry dont have a pic, but it works fine.

UncleWillie

Captain

Actually, the Stern light does not have to be "above everything else." Regulations merely require it to shine a white light over a arc of visibility of 67.5 degrees on either side of dead astern (135 degree total arc). The anchor light needs to be "above everything else."

Boats under 12 meters (~40ft) can have a Stern light and a Masthead light that show for 360deg in combination,
OR a single light visible for 360 deg at all times.
Most boaters looking to mount a light on a Bimini are going to be using the 360 option.

... The "top of the mast" USGG required light was totally USELESS. Why? Well if you have never been there and done that as probably the morons that made the requirement haven't, you can't see the mast light for all the background lights from the "Metroplex"...

I think the standards were set back when ships went to Sea and the Shore Lights were powered by kerosene.
The ship lights were Kerosene too, but we will overlook that.

Even on Lake Erie and a few miles off shore, you need to keep a close eye to determine the Nav lights from the background.
The trick is to keep watching for lights that move relative to the background.
The faster they move the closer they are.

Now, when looking offshore at a water horizon, it is much easier.
Any lights you see are going to be on the water.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at any pontoon boat to see examples of bimini mounted lights. It wouldn't bee too hard to adapt that to any tube framed bimini top.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I boat at night in a busy city harbor and agree the light on the top of the mast is worthless and dangerous. Same applies to a lesser extent for the single anchor light on a motorboat or worse, a barge.

Just to head off the inevitable repeat discussion, spot lights are to be used for quick looks at or for an object but never left on like a headlight.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Down here the water consists of man-made lakes and are filled with tree stumps, especially at drought lake levels, protruding from the surface and hidden below which present their own hazard. Additionally you have the boats mentioned. Then you have other small craft, owners/operators of which either know not the "Rules of the Road" or don't abide. The spot light and frequent usage is a must if motoring at night.

Mark

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I Know this is An old Thread - but hate to create a new one for a similar topic. I'm looking for comments on HOW to mount the light through the Bimini fabric.

I've just purchased an expensive replacement Bimini top canvas that fits great. My light was wired through the second from rear bow tube and exited in bow center under where the light mounts. The Light base was installed as follows; three holes were poked into the original canvas - one for the wire and two for the mounting self tapping screws that attached the light base. The base was tightly screwed through the Canvas top into the bow trapping and holding the material from moving. Obviously the positioning of the holes must be done when the canvas is "UP" and stretched taught to prevent the fabric from moving /shifting/wearing/tearing. All worked well.

NOW.... with my new Top I need to re install my light. As my new top is polyester I am planning mounting it the same - but creating the small holes for the screws and wire using a "soldering Iron tip" to seal the threads and help strengthen the hole edges.

Now my question - is this sufficient to prevent the thinner polyester from tearing /wearing from top up/down movement.?? Should I install a gasket material to cushion and allow some movement in the fabric under the mount - or just well tighten it down. Am I over thinking this?? I just want to do this once and not have the "holes" I made and / or the light mount base damage my $400 New Bimini top ?? Thanks ALL !!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi, I Know this is An old Thread - but hate to create a new one for a similar topic. I'm looking for comments on HOW to mount the light through the Bimini fabric.

I've just purchased an expensive replacement Bimini top canvas that fits great. My light was wired through the second from rear bow tube and exited in bow center under where the light mounts. The Light base was installed as follows; three holes were poked into the original canvas - one for the wire and two for the mounting self tapping screws that attached the light base. The base was tightly screwed through the Canvas top into the bow trapping and holding the material from moving. Obviously the positioning of the holes must be done when the canvas is "UP" and stretched taught to prevent the fabric from moving /shifting/wearing/tearing. All worked well.

NOW.... with my new Top I need to re install my light. As my new top is polyester I am planning mounting it the same - but creating the small holes for the screws and wire using a "soldering Iron tip" to seal the threads and help strengthen the hole edges.

Now my question - is this sufficient to prevent the thinner polyester from tearing /wearing from top up/down movement.?? Should I install a gasket material to cushion and allow some movement in the fabric under the mount - or just well tighten it down. Am I over thinking this?? I just want to do this once and not have the "holes" I made and / or the light mount base damage my $400 New Bimini top ?? Thanks ALL !!!

I know this is an old thread, so I closed it because we prefer a new thread over a hijack.

Status
Not open for further replies.