This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anchor light on bimini top

Any one have any ideas how to mount the anchor light on the Bimini top? Photos or anything?
    2013 Bayliner 255CR
    5.0MPI S/N:2A044802
    http://seawenchnc.blogspot.com

Re: anchor light on bimini top

While the stearn light must be above everything else on the boat, including people standing,
    Mounting on a Bimini poses more challenges than it is worth.

My boat came from the factory with a stern mounted light on a 5 foot pole.
    The light and pole are stored under the gunnel lip when not in use.
    It only take a minute to set up or store and is not in the way during the day when not in use.

They are available in 2 to 6 foot heights.
    Bill, Lorain Ohio

Comment

Actually, the sten light does not have to be "above everything else." Regulations merely require it to shine a white light over a arc of visibility of 67.5 degrees on either side of dead astern (135 degree total arc). The anchor light needs to be "above everyting else."

There are some portable (battery operated) anchor lights. For a mount, you might consider a magnetic base with a steel disk under the bimini. A lot will depend upon how flexible the bimini material happens to be.

Then you could mount it on a pole and find a method of securing the pole to the gun'l and plugging into a lighter outlet.

Gene

Gene

Comment

Ayuh,.... Alotta boats have a flip-up kinda moorin' light, mounted top-center of the windshield,...

Comment

Years ago I boated on a "Metroplex" associated lake, about 30,000 acres, after dark. If you don't know what a Metroplex is, Dallas, TX. and suburbs are just that. Lake is Ray Hubbard.

Many sail boats would be out on the lake at night with all the lights out but the white light on top of the mast. Luckily for me, most of the hulls were white and I could see them when motoring my power boat and 20,000 candle powered spot light. The "top of the mast" USGG required light was totally USELESS. Why? Well if you have never been there and done that as probably the morons that made the requirement haven't, you can't see the mast light for all the background lights from the "Metroplex".

Okaye, go to California where you have you have mountains and all that, and lakes above the highways and all........worse yet.

Nuf said,
          Mark
          If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasmark View Post
            Luckily for me, most of the hulls were white and I could see them when motoring my power boat and 20,000 candle powered spot light.
            I thought you weren't supposed to do that.

I tried to contain myself...but I escaped!

Scott & Roxanne
            1989 Carver Santego 30
            Twin Merc 5.7L Alphas

Comment

Originally posted by airdvr1227 View Post
              I thought you weren't supposed to do that.
              Do that what? Motor with a spot light so that you can see the sailboat hulls in front of you before you ram them?
              If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Wiring and folding do not mix well.

My boat has the windshield mounted light mentioned by Bond-o. It has two bulbs, one on for Nav and 2 on for Anchor. It is above my top because I only use the convertible style top that snaps to the windshield. At full extension it may be above the height of a Bimini though.

Mine is an OEM installed item with fully integrated wiring and switches and fusing on the dash, but these may be a simple add-on worth looking into.
                Attached Files
                2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

Our pontoon has one mounted on the rear of the bimini. Wiring was run through the tubing and has a connector at the pivot point in case you want to remove the bimini completely, The light is on a swivel mount so it can be used with top up or down. sorry dont have a pic, but it works fine.
                  2017 Avalon 24' LSV QL Tritoon Suzuki DF200A (on order for 2017) 2005 Fisher Freedom 240 DLX Fish 90 Mercury 4-Stroke(sold 9/16) Pair of 2006 Seadoo RXT 215HP We boat on Tn River between Pickwick Dam and I-40 bridge, Near Clifton, TN.

Comment

Originally posted by Comogene View Post
                    Actually, the Stern light does not have to be "above everything else." Regulations merely require it to shine a white light over a arc of visibility of 67.5 degrees on either side of dead astern (135 degree total arc). The anchor light needs to be "above everything else."
                    Boats under 12 meters (~40ft) can have a Stern light and a Masthead light that show for 360deg in combination,
                    OR a single light visible for 360 deg at all times.
                    Most boaters looking to mount a light on a Bimini are going to be using the 360 option.

... The "top of the mast" USGG required light was totally USELESS. Why? Well if you have never been there and done that as probably the morons that made the requirement haven't, you can't see the mast light for all the background lights from the "Metroplex"...
                    I think the standards were set back when ships went to Sea and the Shore Lights were powered by kerosene.
                    The ship lights were Kerosene too, but we will overlook that.

Even on Lake Erie and a few miles off shore, you need to keep a close eye to determine the Nav lights from the background.
                    The trick is to keep watching for lights that move relative to the background.
                    The faster they move the closer they are.

Now, when looking offshore at a water horizon, it is much easier.
                    Any lights you see are going to be on the water.
                    Bill, Lorain Ohio

Comment

Do that what? Motor with a spot light so that you can see the sailboat hulls in front of you before you ram them?
                      Yes

I tried to contain myself...but I escaped!

Scott & Roxanne
                      1989 Carver Santego 30
                      Twin Merc 5.7L Alphas

Comment

Look at any pontoon boat to see examples of bimini mounted lights. It wouldn't bee too hard to adapt that to any tube framed bimini top.

Comment

I boat at night in a busy city harbor and agree the light on the top of the mast is worthless and dangerous. Same applies to a lesser extent for the single anchor light on a motorboat or worse, a barge.

Just to head off the inevitable repeat discussion, spot lights are to be used for quick looks at or for an object but never left on like a headlight.
                          A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Down here the water consists of man-made lakes and are filled with tree stumps, especially at drought lake levels, protruding from the surface and hidden below which present their own hazard. Additionally you have the boats mentioned. Then you have other small craft, owners/operators of which either know not the "Rules of the Road" or don't abide. The spot light and frequent usage is a must if motoring at night.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by agallant80 View Post
                              Any one have any ideas how to mount the anchor light on the Bimini top? Photos or anything?
                              To answer your question, here is one that comes with a curved base to mount on curved surfaces and folds.
                              Boat Tower/Arch Folding All-Around Light -Perko 1607DP0CHR
                              Later, Mike.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              2004 Regal 1800 4.3GL Volvo (Gone - Will be missed)
                              2000 Weeres pontoon SunTanner 20 / 50 Merc 2s (New to Me - Will be loved).

Comment

Working...
                              X