Where to mount new Bimini Top

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '99 Four Winns Horizon 170, the Beam of the boat is 7'6" (90"). I'm looking to install a Bimini top on it, but I need some input on where to mount it, and depending on where, how wide of a Bimini.

iBoats says I need one that is 84"-90" wide, however when I got the boat it originally had a tattered 2 bow "sport top" on it that snapped to the windshield and covered just past the front seats. The mounting points for the original top were on the side glass/windshield frame and measure 72".

So if I went with the original mounting location, I would obviously need a smaller Bimini than what iBoats calls for and I would mount it here, but would that be the appropriate size for my boat, and a good solid location to mount it? or would a typical 46"H Bimini sit too high mounted here?

If not, and I do go with the larger 84"-90" that is prescribed by iBoats, where would I mount it? To the outside of the hull, on the top cap like a wake tower? I could be missing something, but that doesn't seem too clean looking or a good way of mounting it.

I've fought having to put a Bimini on here long enough, but now that we have added a new addition to the crew, I can't have the little fellah getting burnt and he's still to young to put sunscreen on... so the Admiral and Bimini win.

Can someone chime in and help me figure this out?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Where to mount new Bimini Top

I would mount it on top of the gunwales if enough room for the hinge deck mounts. Next spot would be inside of the hull close to the top with side hinge mounts. Last spot would be on outside of the hull with side hinge mounts, just my tastes. A Bimini puts more stress on the mounts than the snap-to-windshield type convertible top, my opinion, so I would not use those mounts for an open and longer Bimini.

The height of the bimini to order would be how high you want it to be off the floor minus the height of the hinge mount location from the floor. Example, hinge mount 2 foot from floor, want bimini 6 foot off the floor, calls for 4 foot bimini. Width of the top would be the distance the mounts are apart. Length is how long from the middle back and front that you want to cover with shade. The poles can be stretched an inch or two either way, just make sure they will clear windshield frame rails, etc., when the top is leaned all the way forward and all the way back.

Also keep in mind where the top will be when folded up, usually best if it lands on top of the windshield for stowage, also think about support poles to lean it back when not in use.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I would mount it just like the factory top.

28629_3421845b63_low_res.jpg

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would mount it just like the factory top.

28629_3421845b63_low_res.jpg

Could you send me the link to where you got this picture from? I'd like to see if I could zoom in on the mounts a little more. Thanks.