Considering 24' pocket cruisers...

Matty13198

Cadet
I am an avid enjoyer of boats and grew up with a 31' Silverton Express Cruiser on the Deleware River in NJ. Since then I have started my own family, moved to Sandusky, OH and want to get my wife and kids (6 & 8 years old) going with a smaller boat good for Lake Erie Islands touring.

Currently considering towable pocket cruisers about 24' in length. Plan on spending overnights on it when touring around, but no more than a night or two. I have an F-150 rated to tow at about 8K lbs.

Some boats I am currently looking at are:
25' CROWNLINE 2000 242CR
Sea Ray 2001 240 Sundancer FRESHWATER ONLY
Used 2002 Chaparral 240 Signature, Miamisburg, Oh - 45342 - BoatTrader.com
Used 2004 Larson 240cabrio, Marblehead, Oh - 43440 - BoatTrader.com

Please give me any feedback you can on the boats above!

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Matty

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Considering 24' pocket cruisers...

Try the mid cabin access on all of them. If the kids sleep there, it's not a big deal, if you sleep there....it might be.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

Hello Matty13198

I do what you are looking to do. Check out the link to my blog in my signature. First and foremost when buying used its about condition rather than who made it. Also with a pocket cruiser there are other systems such as the holding tank, AC and hot water that other boats don't have so you will want to make sure those systems are checked out in addition to the engine and drive.

My advice would be storage, storage storage. The cruiser tends to become a 2nd home and you will want to leave things on it like dishes, soap, toiletries, extra blankets, extra clothes etc. Storage is key.

I was going to say go for the searay they tend to make good boats and have lots of storage but I would not get anything with a portipotty. I have a pump head with a 25 gallon holding tank and on a weekend (Friday and Saturday night) on the boat the wife and I can come pretty close to filling it. There is no way you could go a weekend on the water with the wife and kids with just a portipotty.

Towing may be another issue. When you add in trailer weight boat weight fuel gear fresh water etc you may be coming close to your limit on towing. Can you provide more details on your truck?

Matty13198

Cadet

Towing may be another issue. When you add in trailer weight boat weight fuel gear fresh water etc you may be coming close to your limit on towing. Can you provide more details on your truck?

It's a 2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew with a V8 and 6.5' box. I have the 3.55 gears on it and according to the manual and people I've spoken with, shouldn't tow more than 7,500 lbs. Got about 22,000 miles on it right now. Love the truck.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

That is a short distance TV for a 24ft. boat. Not a cross country hauler. Keep towing distance to a minimum, and you should be okay with a WD hitch.

Matty13198

Cadet

That is a short distance TV for a 24ft. boat. Not a cross country hauler. Keep towing distance to a minimum, and you should be okay with a WD hitch.

The farthest I would tow would be from Sandusky, OH to Grand Haven, MI or Ocean City, MD. Family in both locations and would like to be able to use the boat in those locations as well. 99% of the time though, I will be hauling it to and from the ramp. Considering getting a slip or dry stack if cost is reasonable and location is good. The thought of being able to just drive to the boat and hop on it and go is nice. But may not be in the cards for this year.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Try to get a big block motor, if you can. Those boats are usually underpowered with a 305, and only a bit better with a 350.

agallant80

Commander

Try to get a big block motor, if you can. Those boats are usually underpowered with a 305, and only a bit better with a 350.

As much as I hate to admit that its true. I have the 260HP 5.0MPI in mine and with two adults sitting up front and two adults on the rear bench she struggles to get up on plain. I would go for at least the 300HP MPI.

Matty13198

Cadet

As much as I hate to admit that its true. I have the 260HP 5.0MPI in mine and with two adults sitting up front and two adults on the rear bench she struggles to get up on plain. I would go for at least the 300HP MPI.

I will keep my eyes peeled for more power then. Took a look at your blog and the pics are great. Thats the kind of stuff we want to do with ours.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I live 5 miles from Grand Haven. That is a maybe/maybe not travel distance with a boat that size and your truck. The Regal has the best in class mid cabin, and is fine with a 5.0L engine. That particular boat looks like it needs some TLC below the waterline. Price is a bit high IMO. Also consider a Monterey 242 (if you can find one with trailer) and a Four Winns 248 Vista.

Matty13198

Cadet

Also consider a Monterey 242 (if you can find one with trailer) and a Four Winns 248 Vista.

Would you recommend something more like this? Used 2002 Four Winns 248 Vista, Winthrop Harbor, Il - 60096 - BoatTrader.com

Still within budget but pretty far away (over 250 miles). Good looking vessel though.

Looked up the Monterey and it was a sharp looking boat. Not sure I like the cockpit layout on it though. The wraparound of the Four Winns is a nice feature. Also, the extended swim platform is a feature that I want (safety for when the kids are swimming/tubing off the tail).

Thanks to everyone for the pointers so far.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 for a big block, or perhaps twins.. 4 or 6 cyls. I had a 23ft formula sc (sport cruiser) with a fresh built 350 and it struggled quite a bit with 2-4 adults and two small children on board.. she got up and planed, but barely and that was with minimal gear and supplies (day trip) and only a half tank of fuel.

Thalasso

Commander

You are not going to like the porti-pottie (Sea Ray) i can tell you that for sure . Dumping that will get old fast.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

No. Engine to small and the drive looks like it hasn't been taken care of for being in fresh water.

This brings up another point. Looking at the 2001 Regal you posted. You may want to lean in the direction of a dual prop drive. You will have much better performance with it and the dock side manners will be so much better. The 2001 Regal 2460 only had a single prop drive.

Matty13198

Cadet

I would definitely prefer the duoprop. I would get anything I am interested in surveyed by a professional. And I wouldn't buy it until I could sea trial it.

Thalasso - I can't reach that link.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

As a former owner of an under-powered pocket cruiser, as much motor as you can get!!! The duo prop will help but if you can find a big block I would highly recommend it. Also vote for a non-porta potty head for the overnights.

As for towing. By all means watch the weight, however, a 7,000# boat is easier to tow than a 5,000# camper thanks to some aerodynamics, at least in my experience. I was pleasantly surprised with my F-150, I was nervous about it handling a heavier boat.

Last edited: