Need navigation light advice

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, the previous owner added a windlass, so there went the bow navigation light. The boat came with a brand new set of these...
ab26dc166a60989baaec65aeea693d2c.image.120x120.jpg
which really aren't going to do me any good...not cutting holes in the hull.

I'm rewiring, where would you guys put some LED nav lights and which type?
paint.jpg

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need navigation light advice

From the bow ~~ the 2nd or 4th set of circles ~~ where easiest to run wire to the switch...

kfa4303

Banned

I kind of like keeping them as close to the center line as possible, but all of the spots you have circled would work so it's probably a matter of convenience. The good news is that the LED lights are generally nice and bright and should basically last forever.

jc55

I hear you guys...horizontal?
sidelights_0.jpg

or vertical?
354-4000791_0.jpg

7-6559sidelight_0.jpg

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Both lights must be able to be seen from straight ahead and each light individually must be seen both straight ahead to 112.5 degrees to port or starbord depending on it's color (red or green) see below PDF:

View attachment Nav_Lights.pdf

jc55

Thanks guys...Thank you Tazrig...that last picture in the attachment is one I've never seen before, and could be a potential problem with side lights. I never really thought about the "overlap" and could be a problem in my application. The flush mounts I have won't work at all as they cannot be seen from the fron of the boat and we'll be going out a lot at night and inclement weather.

Once again, learned something new even in posting a seemingly simple enough light question.

GHBAY

Seaman

I went with these ones- am hopeful they will work out. I like how streamlined they are. Ordered them earlier this week

354-4000791_0.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Where are you mounting those? Those are vertical only, they aren't legal navigation lights if they are mounted horizontal.

GHBAY

Seaman

on my boat they are mounting vertical, in a spot somewhat similar to the 3rd position from bow on the OPs image above. I do not anticipate any overlap based on my hull design. they are replacing very old versions of these type lights:
7-0079-sidelight_0.jpg

jc55

I wanted those on my third set of circles GHBAY, but that area tapers in towards the bow's centerline on my boat.