Life expectancy of anodes

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quickie, my anodes have been on for about 18months. I have a new set ready to go, but just how long do they last? My boat (Bayliner 2052ls Capri 1999), is kept in the sea in Southern England. Instead of taking the boat out of the water, I was just going to jump into my wet suit, lift the drive and do it whilst she is still in, but not If I don't yet need to! Thanks guys.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Life expectancy of anodes

In sea water, constantly moored, I get about 6 months out of the anodes. I could actually replace them at about 4 months.

the duration of time will depend on how much of their material they have to 'give' to the outdrive. Once they look about 25% depleted, that it may be time to change them.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Mine boat is docked in freshwater 5 month a a year, with no stray electricity,...

The anodes are all original, in original condition,...

Like Ted says,... If they're erodin', replace 'em,...

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like I will be getting into the wet suit either way then.....just to check!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

yes, check it out, as it is variable. My Mercruiser with the MerCathode system went thru 1.5 sets of anodes each year tied to my dock. Now at the same dock, my Johnny Outboard w/o any powered cathode never uses any of the anode, at least I haven't changed them in 7 years.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the annode on my Yam outboard stays in good shape but the small blocks I put on my trim tabs dissolve like alka selzer. well OK I exaggerate--about a year. Boat is moored in salt water year round, no power to boat or pier.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I had the same experience with the anodes on my trim tabs. Must have been the proximity of the copper antifouling paint.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, 'glad I have a new set ready to go then. I have heard of a boat that was left moored in the sea for three years whilst a fight about ownership between divorcees raged. When the time came to move it, apparently it started, was put into gear, but didn't budge. When someone got into the water to take a look, the prop and part of the drive has vanished! Dissolved by the salt water I'm guessing. Well, winter wet suit on, tools tied loosely around my neck, and a makeshift catch basket under the drive to catch anything dropped is the plan. Hope I can get the old buggers off!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Why not just add new ones? Lot easier than trying to get old ones off. Your motor a Mercruiser? If so add zincs that bolt onto trim rods. Easy to install.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More info on that please mate? I'm new to this and have never changed any before. aChris sent me a picture of where they live on the drive. I was thinking that it was just a case of using an Allen key to remove the old ones and to put on the new ones. I take it the bolts dissolve as well then?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

No the bolts are stainless steel. They do corrode and are hard to loosen and tighten, especially underwater. They also get fouled with barnacles, which make removal tricky.

If you are planning to haul the hull (a good idea to change the gear oil), you can slap some new "egg shaped" zincs on the rod of the PTT unit, until you pull it out. Normally the rods are 3/4" or 1" OD. Not sure what English Measurement that works out to. You may be able to change the anode that looks like a little fin above the prop. You can get a anode to connect to the prop nut as well.