Winch hook coming a bit loose, How to tighten?

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all. My winch connection at the boat is coming loose. Does anyone have any idea how to re tighten these? I have a 1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 215 with a cuddy cabin. I have an opening in the floor inside the cabin right by the door. I just don't see how to get in there all the way to the bow to tighten the hooking ring.
Any help?
thanks,
Les.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Winch hook coming a bit loose, How to tighten?

Mine can be tightened from the outside, but I assume you have checked that already.
Pics might help if you don't find someone else here has the same boat and has solved the same problem.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's called a bow eye. You need to gain access inside the boat to tighten the nuts that fasten it to the hull. If its a cuddy, you probably have to remove upholstery to get to it.

Most boat manufacturers don't have the infinite wisdom needed to make repairs easy. They all must think that they never need to be retightened.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I found it. It is easily accesible through the anchor rope storage up in the front. I took it out and it seems there is some weakening of the wood piece that holds it place from the inside. I got a piece od 2/8 stainless steel flat bar, drilled holes to match the u bolt, and tightened back up. Good as new. Thanks peeps.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys, I found it. It is easily accesible through the anchor rope storage up in the front. I took it out and it seems there is some weakening of the wood piece that holds it place from the inside. I got a piece od 2/8 stainless steel flat bar, drilled holes to match the u bolt, and tightened back up. Good as new. Thanks peeps.

Great repair but the "weakening of the wood" is a concern that needs investigated.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great repair but the "weakening of the wood" is a concern that needs investigated.

My best guess is that since the bow eye was loose, water got in there when suddenly stopping the boat and over time, the wood has begun to rot. Only in a small section though, where the bottom bolt is, the rest looks a solid piece. I will also run some sealant around the inside and outside just in case.
Thanks.