1969 Johnson 40hp motor and steering

steurerl

Cadet
I have a 1969 Johnson 40hp motor on my 16 foot ebbtide. I have a rack and pinion steering hooked up to it now just so I could get it out for a bit last summer. Problem I have is the motor isn't made for that steering and it turns hard and does not turn as much as it should. I would like to put the proper steering for it in this winter and was wondering if anyone could give me a parts list of what I need and a quick guidance on how to do it. The cables have to run down one side. Any help would be great. I am looking to get a newer used motor for it but for now I would like to get it set up right in case I can't find one. Thanks.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1969 Johnson 40hp motor and steering

You woukd need the propper piece for back of steering wheel.. and then the rest of the pullies for the corners and at the motor.. cables are a pain to deal with in my opinion

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure why the rack and pinion wont work. I had a 59' 35hp evinrude with rack and pinion steering and it worked fine. If possible, post a pic of where the steering rod meets the motor. there is an adapter that makes the connecton easy. I'll try to find one and post a link.

southkogs

Staff member

Might be the wrong length steering cable too. Converting outta' the old pulley stuff mighta' been off a few inches.

steurerl

Cadet

I bought the boat with no motor and the transom was bad so I replace it but I got a great deal for the boat. It came with the steering setup and cable so I thought it would be the right length but I could be wrong if it matters on the motor and how it's on there. I ended up having to put it on a jack plate to get the steering to fit and function to what it is. I will try to get pics tomorrow for it.

Fullboat4u

Recruit
I see this is very old but i just bought a 69 40hp johnson . boat currently has rack and pinion steering but i have no clue what kind of steering should be used. any advice on what to use or if i can use rack and pinion with an adapter or anything . thank you

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Fullboat:

You may want to post this question - along with some photos in the steering section. Some of the older outboards used a pulley system to steer, and if that's what the old Johnny had you might have to re-work some of your riggin'.