Were 70's era Bayliners built well?

CMarquand

Cadet
I am looking to buy a new boat to upgrade from my 70's era trihull which is at the end of its life. I'm looking for something to trailer that has a cuddy cabin, primarily to use for fishing. My range is 20' to 24' in length and I would like to take it into the ocean a few times a year, but mostly use it in fresh water. I can spend up to $6,000 and am mostly staying away from Bayliners because I've heard they were poorly built. But I also heard that was mostly in the 80s and I just found this 73' that was kept in a garage, has a rebuilt engine, and looks really clean: 20 ft Bayliner Cuddy Cabin
My question is this, were the Bayliners from this era built at a higher standard than the 80's era Bayliners? Also, what about the Volvo 145 it has, were they quality? Is that enough power? I read that it was rated at 138hp.

matt167

Captain
Re: Were 70's era Bayliners built well?

They were decently better than the 1980's and that boat does look immaculate but with any boat, it's condition is only as good as it was cared for.. Volvo's were great but they are $$$ to fix unlike a Mercruiser which uses mostly off the shelf parts going back to about 1968

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

That one does look clean.... may be better than the ones built in the 80s - 2012... any rot or engine problems make it about $2000 too high. She sure looks good for her age.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

As with any boat of that vintage it is much more about how the boat was cared for over the years than who built it. If you're going to spend $6K its well worth hiring a professional marine surveyor for a couple hundred bucks to go through the boat top to bottom and give you a full report on hull moisture, electrical, mechanical, structural etc. and what if anything it will cost to put the boat into the condition you want. See the below links:

iboats.com Review | March 2013

BoatUS Magazine: Boat Buying Mistakes

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The 70's Bayliners were better then the 80s. The problem with the particular boat you are looking at is the size of the engine. It's going to be a real dog with a 4 cylinder engine in it. The 70's Bayliners were on the heavy side and that size boat would need a V8 in it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That diamond plate on the deck makes me very suspicious of why????? Cuddy Cabins always sell cheaper and I think that one is WAY overpriced and underpowered

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

that will be a bit under powered but you are not planning on racing it anyway. Take $3k cash and go look at it.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

MC go look at it!! for that age, it looks pretty clean, way above average...boats at any age if cared for look like it.. (that they were cared for) 4 cyl will be fine,, your not going to race with it,, if you like it and buy it, make sure you consider a 4 blade prop,, that will help push that boat up on plane faster.. these guys here can assist you.. I also noted it's got a new surge break coupler on it nice..! I have a cuddy, I can tell you they have advantages in storage, you can sleep on it, and you can keep your wife/mom/gf/ or what ever out of the rain when your on the lake and a thunderstorm rolls in :eek:

superbenk

Commander

I'll bet the floor is soft under that diamond plate in front of the engine bay. I'd be concerned about rot deeper in like the stringers & transom.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Its a bayliner period their know for poor quality, that one may be good but when you go to sell it its still a bayliner, I would pass.

superbenk

Commander

Its a bayliner period their know for poor quality, that one may be good but when you go to sell it its still a bayliner, I would pass.

At 40 yrs old I don't think it really matters what brand it is. It's all about how it was maintained. It very well could have been torn apart & rebuilt with new transom, stringers & floor in a very professional way making it better than it was new.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

don't be worried about resale price on a $3000 boat. At that price it becomes mostly disposable. Keep it three years, that $1000 per year of fun.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I'll bet the floor is soft under that diamond plate in front of the engine bay. I'd be concerned about rot deeper in like the stringers & transom.
It could easily be there becuase they had to do something with the fuel tank as well.

I would pass on it because of the engine size, not because it's a Bayliner. Bayliners of those years were pretty good.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I would pass on it because of the engine size, not because it's a Bayliner. Bayliners of those years were pretty good.

That'd be my 2 cents as well. As a former old bayliner owner, under-powered.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Like Bruce and Nate, I'd be concerned about the engine and not only from the power standpoint. A 4-cyl Volvo from the '70's is one of Volvo's own marinized auto engines. B18? B20? I forget the nomenclature, but that isn't a GM or even a Ford-based motor. Can you still get marine-specific parts?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Like Bruce and Nate, I'd be concerned about the engine and not only from the power standpoint. A 4-cyl Volvo from the '70's is one of Volvo's own marinized auto engines. B18? B20? I forget the nomenclature, but that isn't a GM or even a Ford-based motor. Can you still get marine-specific parts?
The motor in that boat is the newer B21. You can tell by the valve cover in the picture. Also, the intake is on the port side of the engine instead of the starboard like the B18/B20. It's the OHC engine.

Last edited:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

As others have pointed out, even if it's in great shape which isn't likely it would most likely woefully under powered.