is 1100 hours on a boat to many

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking at a 1987 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 and the boat has twin mercruiser 4.3's in it with 1100 hours on them. The boat is at a marina in Dubuque IA and I talked to the sales person today and he told me that they did a mechanical check out of the boat when they got it and winterized it. Said everything checked out good. He didn't know the hours on the boat but I looked up there website and seen the boat in their listing and they had the hours on that. The boat is very clean and looks well taken care of I'm just conserned about the hours. Any advice??

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: is 1100 hours on a boat to many

Only a full independent marine survey will tell you what you need to know. You will need to have the engines compression tested, have the entire electrical and mechanical systems gone through etc. The short answer is that it all has to do with how well it was maintained. Some engines that are babied can go to 2,000 hours no problem and others that haven't been taken care of won't even make it to a 1,000. Was the boat used only in fresh water? That vintage will no doubt have things that need attention now or will shortly depending on what has been done to it. You'll need to find out through a certified marine surveyor what it needs or is likely to in the near future, what it is likely to cost to have done and then make the decision based on your budget whether or not it makes sense for you or not. How much are they asking? Good luck and keep us posted. FYI why you need a survey:

iboats.com Review | March 2013

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

So, in other words, to put it into perspective, if it were a car it would have maybe 35,000 miles on it.

My 1984 Mercruiser is pushing 1400 hours and she feels like she is barely broken in. But then, I usually run at cruiseing speed, rarely go WOT and I maintain it per the book. I have a friend with twin 454's that barely make it past 100 hours before he needs an engine rebuild. But then again, he runs only 2 speeds - off and full throttle.....LOL.

The PO might have beat the crap out of it, or he might have babied it like I do. You'll never know. But to answer your question, 1100 hours, per se', isn't a problem.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

they are asking 7500 for it and by the way the boat itself looks it looks like everything was well maintained on it. We are 350 miles apart so he is going to start by sending me pictures of the outdrive and engine compartment before I go look at it. I could do a compression test on it if they would let me I wonder if they would since it is winterized. I'm also going to ask them if any service records come with it. I thank you guys for the quick replys and I will let you know how it turns out for sure. I've never bought from a dealer before so should I ask them how many other charges there going to stick me with before I make an offer or travel to look at it or hire a boat surveyor to look at it?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

If you're serious about the boat make them an offer based on a complete survey. If they don't want to let you survey the boat they're hiding something and you should run! Also go here and enter all the electronics and things this specific boat comes with to help you determine a fair price.

Power boat, Sailboat Prices & Personal Watercraft Values

UncleWillie

Captain

So, in other words, to put it into perspective, if it were a car it would have maybe 35,000 miles on it...

We have been around this block more than once.
A land automobile averages about 30 miles per hour overall, so 1100 hours would take it about 33,000 miles.

A boat gets nowhere the same gas mileage and burns about 3 times the fuel per hour given the same size engine.
So a conversion factor of 3 to 1 makes ~30 auto miles per hour very roughly equal to ~100 boat miles per hour.

1100 boat hours would equate to the equivalent work done in 110,000 auto miles.

How well it was maintained will make the difference in whether it is long worn out, or about half way through its life.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

if well maintained it is no problem. When I ran charters I put more than that on every season. There was always a line when at 4 years old I bought a new boat to the last one. Generally around 6000 hours.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

BTW... if there is one thing you NEED to know it is that EVERYTHING the salesman says to reassure you is BULL POO.

They didn't do any "mechanical check" to make sure everything was fine... they MAY not have even heard it run.

Absolutely hire your own survey done and NOT by anyone suggested by the seller.

Don't even consider buying it without a compression test and preferably a sea trial unless you can buy it so cheap that if you had to put new engines in you'd still be pleased with it.

The compression test won't in any way be a problem w it being winterized... you aren't starting it, just cranking it over...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have a friend with twin 454's that barely make it past 100 hours before he needs an engine rebuild. But then again, he runs only 2 speeds - off and full throttle.....LOL.

What is your friend doing to those engines!? 454's are huge, heavy, overbuilt workhorses. They are happiest running hard, and there are many serving a tough tour of duty in motor homes. (i've got a 30 year old 454 in my motor home, and that thing has been abused! Engine never misses a beat and always comes back for more. (more oil that is, it does leak...)

tpenfield

Staff member

The engine hours are within a 'typical' range for the age of the boat. So, that is a good thing. However, the total hours are getting up there a bit and should be figured into the value of the boat.

As stated, the salesman comments on the boat are not worth much, not without some documentation to back it up, even then, you'd want your own assessment. If you go for it, do a full survey of the vessel and testing of the engines and outdrives. Make those contingencies of the sale, etc., etc.

agallant80

Commander

On the bright side the motors have the correct amount of hours on them for their age which equates to about 40 hours per year. Like anything else its about condition and how well it was taken care of. The boat and motors are 27 years old. Think of it this way. What were you driving back in 1987? Anything 27 years old that is mechanical is going to be old and we are not talking about a Cat motor that is designed to go forever, we are talking about a 1987 GM motor that was modified to put in a boat.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

For midwest standards in terms of resale that is getting up there but for $7,500 and a 27' boat not out of the norm

Anyone else raising an eyebrow that the salesman "did't know the hours" yet it's on their website. How about "let me check into that and get back to you". geez

agallant80

Commander

I would not raise an eyebrow about it. I just think sales guys are sloppy especially if he is working on a deal with a customer in front of him that is going to make him money right now. Also who knows what type of inventory system they have. Frustrating thing about IT is no one wants to spend money on it unless it directly creates revenue. They could be using an old Unix system that is 30 years old or even worse paper.......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

To me, a 1000 hour boat hours is equivalent to 100,000 miles on a car. I wouldn't be as concerned as much for the engine hours, assuming compression is good, as I would for the drive hours.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Boat dealers in northern climates are comfortable (or should be) with signing a contract with you, contingent upon the results of a survey and sea trial in the spring. I'm in such a contract now on a 1992, 26' Carver. The 10% earnest money I've put down is sitting n an escrow account. If the boat checks out in April I complete the purchase at the price we've already agreed to. If there's anything wrong, I can turn my back on it and get my deposit back.

I bought the boat prior to my current one (a 24' express cruiser) the same way in 2009. Made the deal n December, completed the purchase in May.

My .02

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

they are asking 7500 for it and by the way the boat itself looks it looks like everything was well maintained on it. We are 350 miles apart so he is going to start by sending me pictures of the outdrive and engine compartment before I go look at it. I could do a compression test on it if they would let me I wonder if they would since it is winterized. I'm also going to ask them if any service records come with it. I thank you guys for the quick replys and I will let you know how it turns out for sure. I've never bought from a dealer before so should I ask them how many other charges there going to stick me with before I make an offer or travel to look at it or hire a boat surveyor to look at it?

I only traveled 325 miles to look at (and eventually purchase) my first powerboat. It was also through a dealer, acting as the broker, so similar to your situation.

Basically, the process typically works as . . .

- You want the boat
- You place an offer along with a 10% deposit, along with your 'contingencies' (i.e., sea trial survey, compression test, etc)
- If/once the seller accepts your offer . . .
- You have all the testing and trialing done (at your expense), but the dealer should 'present' the boat in the water and on land for the trail and surveying at their expense.
- Probably should include proof of ownership (title) as part of your contingencies.
- You decide if you are OK with the boat after your testing, etc is done
- If you are OK with it, you pay the balance of the agreed price, the seller/owner signs over the title.
- Hey you just bought a boat.

I put an offer on the boat in December 2004, did the sea trial and survey in late Feb 2005, bought the boat & picked it up in March 2005. I managed to get the only 'good' day in February for a sea trial, and also paid to have the boat re-winterized. It snowed the next day.

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! Bought my boat in December~~ sea trial 1st. Today I was fishing,, air temps in the 70s, water 57. Y'all live in the wrong place.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

wow so much great feedback and I'm learning a great deal here. The salesman is supposed to email me pictures of the outdrives and engine compartment and I thought if the outdrives were not all corroded from sitting in the water then I'd make the trip up to look at it. With all the feedback I think I can comfortably make decisions on how to go about this. I tried looking for servyers in the area up there but no luck. Also I been thinking that 1100 hours would be hard to get to if the owner didn't take care of the boat. The boat is at American Marine in Dubuque IA they have a website and the 1987 270 is the only 1987 sea ray they have.

agallant80

Commander

Have you read the google reviews on this place?