Do inflatable boat trim tabs work?

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,<br /><br />I see these trim tabs all over the place and they claim increased efficiency/speed when put on an inflatable zodiac/avon boat. I have a 13' avon and a soon to be 18hp Tohatsu 4stroke. Anyone have these trim tabs? Any experiences with them? Thanks.<br /><br />Adam

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do inflatable boat trim tabs work?

I was just looking at the Nauticus trim tabs and one thing that loses my faith is the tricky photo manipulations. The photo of the boat accelerating before trim tabs the horizon is tilted back. And then in the photo trying to illustrate how the boat is planing level the horizon is now tilted the other way giving the impression that the boat is now level. I hate false advertising! <br />
joe_before.jpg
<br />
joe_after.jpg
<br />Not a coincidence either. Heres another set<br />
serie_1.jpg
serie_3.jpg
<br /><br />I dunno, with kind of trick advertising maybe I answered my own question. I probably don't need em. :rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To Boats

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I'll tell ya what Boatster... THEY WORK !

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

boatster...I've made and put many manually adjustable tabs on many small craft (14'-20'), let me tell ya, they do work. I would dare say the the fancy ones with the hydraulics should be awesome. You get the agility of the size of boat you have but the ride of a longer more stable craft. just a thought :cool:

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate a little here. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers. :p . But I don't like the manipulated photos. Its probably the engineer in me, always sceptical. :rolleyes: <br />I'll look into these some more. <br /><br />BTW I guess they do look pretty easy to make yourself. Simple design, just get some flaps and maybe some kind of adjustable lever arm no? :confused:

Das Boot

Seaman

Originally posted by boatster:<br /> Don't mean to ruffle any feathers. :p . But I don't like the manipulated photos. Its probably the engineer in me, always sceptical. :rolleyes: <br />I'll look into these some more. <br /><br />
Hi Boatster;<br /><br />You have a keen eye to notice that horizon thing but i think the bow wave is different in the second photo

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

boatster;<br /><br />There is no trick Photo reworking here. Since the camera man needed to use a 230mm telephoto to get the picture from the shore, the horizon angle was off because of the tilt of the camera. it is hard to hold a long telephoto lens and a tripod was not an option since the boat was moving. <br /><br />If you will look closer you will see that the stern is sitting much deeper in the water in the before picture, and there is a lot of air under the bow. Look at the water line vs the the boat angle. <br /><br />I do take offense to your assumptions as we do not claim anything that is not true, and if you will note on this site we back the claims with a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. To your satisfaction not ours.<br /><br />Most likely you have been "taken" by products that falsly claim performance (snake oils)and I am sorry that you have become jadded, but I can assure you that Smart Tabs is not one of them.<br /><br />To the best of my knowledge, the only critics of our products are those who have not used them.<br /><br />By the way, the reason you see them all over your area is either becuase these boats are owned by people that we have tricked into believing false photos, or they actually work. Maybe you should ask them? Or call California Fish and Game Authority and ask them, or the US Coast Guard, or the US Navy, or Zodiac, or Novurania, or APEX.<br /><br />The fact is that they work, and better than anything else you can do for any small power boat.

rochester

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 16' Rinker with a 70hp Evinrude on it that tends to list to the port side when planing. I can correct it by shifting weight around, but it even does this with me driving (starboard side) and just my wife and I in the boat (with her in the port-side passenger seat). I outweigh her by at least 50-60 lbs. Battery is centered in the stern/bilge area of the boat. I have two portable tanks, one in each corner. My hole shot is great. The boat planes almost immediately, even when pulling tubers, etc. In fact, I think I could go to a prop with less pitch because speed tops out at around 35 mph, and I am not at WOT at this speed. I don't have a tach on the boat. I don't really have a need for more speed, so I don't plan to buy a new prop. It appears that the skeg has been adjusted, but the boat does not seem to pull one way or the other. Could the skeg be the culprit? The boat DOES NOT list noticeably below planing speeds. Would the smart-tabs correct this listing? Also, I have a ladder on the port-side stern corner. How much vertical space would I need to mount the smart-tabs if they are a solution?

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nautijohn,<br /><br />you shouldn't take offense. And no I am not a jaded person. I am an engineer and so I look at things in a very analytical way. Mind you I am not a boat expert so I couldn't immediately pick up the other characteristics like the boat wake or how high it is off of the water.<br /><br />I am also a long time photographer, now using digital photography. I can tell you #1 its not hard to keep the horizon straight while handholding the lens. But skewing the horizon happens, no problem, go into photoshop and straighten out the horizon. Make it level. You and I both know that it won't take more than 2 minutes to straighten out the horizon on those photos. (maybe you didn't know, now you do)<br /><br />I'm not saying those trim tabs do or don't work. It appears from others on here they do. But as a potential customer when I see those photos I lose trust in the claims. But thats just me. Take my criticism and advertise the product better, or get defensive and stick your head in the sand. Its really up to you. :D

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, let me get this straight, the boat is going uphill in the first photo and downhill in the second? :p

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm... I have to say that it does appear to be quite an amazing coincidence that the both sets of photos are tilted in exactly the same way. <br />But from hearing what others have to say about the tabs, I've no doubt that they do work (I will be buying a set myself soon).<br />Kudos to Boatster for noticing! Perhaps Nauticus Inc will see this post and correct the photos (takes about 30 seconds in photoshop) as it does give a bad impression of an otherwise good product.

rochester

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry... I kinda hijacked this topic, so I'm going to start a new one with my question...

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Boatster;<br /><br />When we are accused of being dishonest or misleading I take it personally as I am resposible for what goes on here.<br /><br />Since you are scrutinizing the photos, I suggest that you post the #1 & #2 of the the Mobster Tabs Photos, which shows the "before" (#1) then "after" (#2) of the hole shot. The #2 (after) photo actualy shows the horizion to our disadvantage. <br /><br />This was not intentional either.<br /><br />The #3 photo you chose is the running position once the boat was up to speed (in this case about 65MPH).<br />Go to < http://nauticusinc.com/mobstertabs.html ><br /><br />Until now we have never alterd any of the photos except for contrast and brightness. If this seems to mislead people maybe we should. <br /><br />You are correct, we could do a lot in a few minutes in photoshop and it could be a whole bunch more than correcting the horizon. We just don't need to! Besides if Smart Tabs did not live up to our claims the bad news would spread fast. The horizon in the background is not important, it is the position of the boat in the water.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

NautiJohn,<br />if the photos are purely coincidence, than my apologies if you feel I "accuse" you of being dishonest. That is not the point. However it does seem to be a gross oversight that the photos are conicidentally biased towards the one major visually determinable case for improved boat performance, namely the level planing of the boat on the water. I did not imply that you "should" do more in photoshop than correct for camera tilt. If I had I would have suggested adding flames coming out of the engine, a huge spray coming off of the tail, and some naked chicks with beer. :D <br /><br />The consumer has spoken (me), what you choose to do with that is up to you. Again I like to play devil's advocate. :D

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Rochester;<br /><br />Your boat seems to have a torq list which is common and the main reason the helm is often on the starboard side (to help counter the torq list.) Sometimes the torq list is exagerated by other things Ie: too much bow down trim, agressive cupped props, or hydrofoils providing too much stern lift when cruising. <br /><br />The torq list is from the resistance of the prop (turning clockwise) at higher speeds which is why you do not get this at low speeds. As the resistance increases (with speed) the boat wants to rotate in the opposite direction (counter clockwise.)<br /><br />The answer to your question regarding Smart Tabs ability to correct this - it is yes. You simply adjust the port side with more pressure than the starboard. However, the normal correction may take care of the list and the adjustment may not be required.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

boatster; <br />Aplogies accepted and I extend mine if I am too sensitive. We do our very best (and sometimes we fall down) to insure customer satisfaction with our product, but one thing we never do is try to mislead people. Again Sorry for being overly sensitive.

rochester

Seaman Apprentice

NautiJohn,<br />You said, "The answer to your question regarding Smart Tabs ability to correct this - it is yes. You simply adjust the port side with more pressure than the starboard. However, the normal correction may take care of the list and the adjustment may not be required." What do you mean "the normal correction"? Do you mean that just putting the smart-tabs on may correct the problem, or is there some other normal correction? Also, I asked about my ladder... how much vertical room do I need? The ladder folds up, so I could go between rungs if that is possible, but I would want to be able to fold it down to use it. Do you think the ladder would be a problem?

Bayrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nautijohn. <br />If I was accused of conspiracy(trying to fool the public)I wouldn,t be accepting any aplogies. John,you have been more than helpful to me and the guys on this site over the last few months.Ok,you,re a sales man promoting your product the best way you know how but the differance between you and other sales men is the pre sale and after sale service.If only other companies were half as good.There will always be people engineering conspiracy theories no matter where you go in this world.Keep up the good work John. I know I,m a lot happier with my boat since the Smart Tabs were fitted. <br /> Regards. ;)

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The standard installation is to set both plates with the same pressure ( pressure settings are independent )assuming no list. In many cases the list is corrected without loading one side with more pressure than the other.<br /><br />As for room, the plate is just under 12" wide and should be mounted 1/2 inch up from the bottom edge of the boat on the transom. Best position for side to side stability is as far out toward the chines as possible. Although they will be very effective even when mounted in further. The top Transom bracket for the actuator will be approximately 10.5" up from the plate and cetered (perpendicular to the plate). the foot print of this transom bracket is 3/4" wide by 2" tall.<br /><br />You should be able to down load our instructions from our web site. www.NauticusInc.com