navigation lights why do this?

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
078.jpg079.jpg The boat was this way when I purchased it used. Why would the two red lights be in the stern and the spot light in the bow? All came on with navigation lights I unhooked them.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: navigation lights why do this?

Because the previous owner was a MORON.... no other reason... take the red lights off the rear and throw em away and only use the "spot light" for docking

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Maybe the name of the boat has something to do with it.......:crazy:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The bow light is probably a PO's docking light. If the rear lights were hooked up to the trailer lights, it could have been an attempt to have higher tail lights. But since the extra lights came on with the nav lights - :confused: :noidea:

kfa4303

Banned

Because the previous owner was a MORON.... no other reason... take the red lights off the rear and throw em away and only use the "spot light" for docking

Clearly someone who thought his boat was a car and should therefore have headlights, brake lights and blinkers :/ Good grief!

NYBo

Admiral

Well, it sure is "creative". Not legal, though.

southkogs

Staff member

... please, please, please tell me they blink left and right. :cool:

Thalasso

Commander

I see what appears to be nav lights on the front

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander

... please, please, please tell me they blink left and right. :cool:

Ya, I've been blinded nicely by those running around a small lake with their "docking lights" on. At first I thought (hoped) the tail lights were for trailering - now having read through, I'm with kogs...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It was common in 1960s boats with tail fins to add Cadillac tail lights. But yours is not a 1960s boat and it doesn't have tail fins. So, my guess would be an effort to improve trailering lighting OR someone who simply does not k=now or care about CG light regulations.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

maybe the blinker fluid is low

Actually I kinda agree with what your PO was trying to do, in the stern. I think that in busy water the single white light is dangerously insufficient and there should be more light on the stern and, for many boats, for anchoring. the white light on a sailboat mast is truly worthless in an area with lots of lights.

however, the reason it is illegal to add lights is that the other lights send confusing messages to other boaters; the red/green plus white when use correctly tell the other boaters what is going on. Yours would tell other boaters that someone drove his car off the ramp.

Illlegal or not, I sometimes hang a blinking flashlight off the stern. In your case another plain white light back there (not a spot) would be helpful and not interfere with your night vision, and wouldn't cause problems.

The front light should be turned off unless you are within 20' of your own dock. Better to learn to drive without them.

Last edited: