How to replace small halogen bulb

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Is there some trick I'm misssing? A small cylindrical reading lamp in the cabin has a small halogen buld that needs to be replaced. It is simply a small bulb with two small metal leads. Do these lamps typically come apart somehow. or do I have to get some special tool to get a bulb back in there?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to replace small halogen bulb

Some small halogens do have just two stiff wires coming out of the back. When you replace it make sure you do not leave fingerprints on the glass as this will shorten the bulb life by creating a hotspot.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the input rally. Yes, not touching the bulb makes this very difficult. I've attached some photos of the light in hops someone has been through this and can offer some ideas. The Admiral would like her reading light back, and I'd like to put a new bulb in without breaking the thing while making up new sw@r words.

Thanks in advance.light1.JPGlight2.JPG

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Grab it,pull/wiggle,whats the worst that can happen? It's broke anyway!
Just use a tissue when installing the new one.
Grub

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, those bayonet light bulbs generally twist to unlock, then just slide right out. if its been in there a while it might be a bit sticky. I use a towel to grab it firmly and avoid slashing my fingers if it breaks. Also, a little isopropyl alcohol will clean any human goop off the new bulb when its in and ensure the bulbs longevity.

Thalasso

Commander

don't worry about touching it with your bare fingers. After installing take a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe it off.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the responses. I have the old one out, getting the new one in is the problem - whether I touch the bulb or not. What I was wondering is if something comes apart, or of there's some other trick. All ideas appreciated.

Maybe I should just replace the lamps. If they're replaced with lamps that use LED, does anything have to change with the wiring?

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe a pic of the bulb?

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks for the responses. I have the old one out, getting the new one in is the problem - whether I touch the bulb or not. What I was wondering is if something comes apart, or of there's some other trick. All ideas appreciated.
The hood may be removeable.

Maybe I should just replace the lamps. If they're replaced with lamps that use LED, does anything have to change with the wiring?
No, as long as they are 12 volt lamps.