Homemade Mast Buoy . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
I have been wanting to get a mast buoy this season to make snagging the mooring easier. I saw a mast buoy at West Marine a while ago, but it was a little pricey, so I waited.

This weekend while scrounging stuff in the shed and garage, I came across some 6' fiberglass rods . . . they look like driveway markers for the winter. Well, I thought to myself, what a great thing to make a mast buoy out of :thumb:

So, I scrounged up some hardware. . . found a thimble, some galvanized rod, plastic wiring shield, PVC pipe, and also sacrificed part of a floating 'noodle' to the cause. I assembled everything with a can of 'Great Stuff' foam, as it is a great adhesive. I also needed a significant weight for the bottom of the buoy. So, I used some cement that I had and formed a weight around the lower part of the 'mast'.

Here is a picture of what I came up with . . .
IMG_2846.jpg

I float tested it in a trash can to make sure there was enough weight and flotation. Then I wrapped the cement weight in fiberglass/resin that I had left over from other projects.

Here is the mast buoy after the fiberglassing . . .
IMG_2849.jpg

Then to finish the thing off, I painted the lower portion with polyurethane.
IMG_2853.jpg

Now I can run a line from one of my mooring pennants to the mast buoy, so it will be easy to grab from the deck of the boat. Currently I have to reach down in the water with a mooring hook . . . some time it goes better than other times.

The mast buoy draws about 18" of water and has an overall height of just over 6 feet.

Since I used things that I had lying around, my out-of-pocket cost was $0.00 :D

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Homemade Mast Buoy . . .

Not bad... I just gave a "mast buoy" away a week or so ago that came in my last parts boat..... didn't even know what to call it till I read your post....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Now that's one fine example of bottom feeding. No way to get cheaper than free leftovers. :D Looks nice too.

tpenfield

Staff member

Now that's one fine example of bottom feeding. No way to get cheaper than free leftovers. :D Looks nice too.

Yup, with the cost of boating, etc, I tend to look for every opportunity to make something for little/no cost.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have put the mast buoy into use with good results . . .

Here are a few photos.

Mast buoy secured to the deck.
IMG_2914.jpg

Here is the mast buoy as it sits in the water once I cast off from the mooring.
IMG_2876.jpg

So, far it has been really easy to pick up the mooring line. The orange 'mast' does not show up as well as I thought it would, but it is OK.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Could you slide a bright colored pool noodle on the mast? But you might have to spend a buck at the Dollar Store which defeats the "free" unless you have one another one laying around.

tpenfield

Staff member

I do have some spare noodles, but probably just some bright colored tape would also make it more visible. Of course, that would probably cost me a few $$ :D

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good work Penfield. More people should think like this, especially in the reality of today's world.

Volphin

Lieutenant

First and foremost, that is an outstanding job! Perhaps an old bike flag would work to make it more visible?

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks guys for your kind words. A small flag might do the trick for better visibility. I generally need to see the mast from a couple hundred feet away in order to plan the 'approach' and pick-up.

kfa4303

Banned

Awesome build! +1 on Great Stuff foam being a great adhesive too. I used some the other day and it's still stuck to me in places! How does the mast buoy get its name? Is it connected to the mast of a sailing boat? If so what is it's use? Sorry for the questions, I'm just not familiar with sailing gizmos.

tpenfield

Staff member

Awesome build! +1 on Great Stuff foam being a great adhesive too. I used some the other day and it's still stuck to me in places! How does the mast buoy get its name? Is it connected to the mast of a sailing boat? If so what is it's use? Sorry for the questions, I'm just not familiar with sailing gizmos.

The buoy has a 'mast' so you can grab it from deck height, rather than fishing the mooring line out of the water. Nothing specific to do with sailing.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Great job Ted,.... Ya know I just Love repurposed junk,..... ;)

kfa4303

Banned

The buoy has a 'mast' so you can grab it from deck height, rather than fishing the mooring line out of the water. Nothing specific to do with sailing.

Ah, I see. Very handy if you have lots of freeboard, or a big shiny boat like in your sig. That's even cooler than I thought :)

tpenfield

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Great job Ted,.... Ya know I just Love repurposed junk,..... ;)

Ah, I see. Very handy if you have lots of freeboard, or a big shiny boat like in your sig. That's even cooler than I thought :)

Thanks Bondo & KFA . . .

The bow of my boat is about 4 feet up from the water level, and I dropped my mooring hook a couple of times in the early going, trying to fetch the mooring line. So, the mast buoy has been a lot easier.