Homemade Mast Buoy . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Mast Buoy . . .

I have been wanting to get a mast buoy this season to make snagging the mooring easier. I saw a mast buoy at West Marine a while ago, but it was a little pricey, so I waited.

This weekend while scrounging stuff in the shed and garage, I came across some 6' fiberglass rods . . . they look like driveway markers for the winter. Well, I thought to myself, what a great thing to make a mast buoy out of

So, I scrounged up some hardware. . . found a thimble, some galvanized rod, plastic wiring shield, PVC pipe, and also sacrificed part of a floating 'noodle' to the cause. I assembled everything with a can of 'Great Stuff' foam, as it is a great adhesive. I also needed a significant weight for the bottom of the buoy. So, I used some cement that I had and formed a weight around the lower part of the 'mast'.

Here is a picture of what I came up with . . .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2846.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	10055632

I float tested it in a trash can to make sure there was enough weight and flotation. Then I wrapped the cement weight in fiberglass/resin that I had left over from other projects.

Here is the mast buoy after the fiberglassing . . .

Name:	IMG_2849.jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	10055631

Then to finish the thing off, I painted the lower portion with polyurethane.

Name:	IMG_2853.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	10055630

Now I can run a line from one of my mooring pennants to the mast buoy, so it will be easy to grab from the deck of the boat. Currently I have to reach down in the water with a mooring hook . . . some time it goes better than other times.

The mast buoy draws about 18" of water and has an overall height of just over 6 feet.

Since I used things that I had lying around, my out-of-pocket cost was $0.00
    Last edited by tpenfield; October 4th, 2015, 02:31 PM.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Re: Homemade Mast Buoy . . .

Not bad... I just gave a "mast buoy" away a week or so ago that came in my last parts boat..... didn't even know what to call it till I read your post....
    Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
    But, where are the reevets?
    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
    sigpic

Comment

Now that's one fine example of bottom feeding. No way to get cheaper than free leftovers. Looks nice too.
      BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
        Now that's one fine example of bottom feeding. No way to get cheaper than free leftovers. Looks nice too.
        Yup, with the cost of boating, etc, I tend to look for every opportunity to make something for little/no cost.

Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

I have put the mast buoy into use with good results . . .

Here are a few photos.

Mast buoy secured to the deck.

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	10055635

Here is the mast buoy as it sits in the water once I cast off from the mooring.

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10055634

So, far it has been really easy to pick up the mooring line. The orange 'mast' does not show up as well as I thought it would, but it is OK.
            Last edited by tpenfield; October 4th, 2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Could you slide a bright colored pool noodle on the mast? But you might have to spend a buck at the Dollar Store which defeats the "free" unless you have one another one laying around.
              BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
              Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
              That is what the forums are for.
              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I do have some spare noodles, but probably just some bright colored tape would also make it more visible. Of course, that would probably cost me a few $$

Comment

Good work Penfield. More people should think like this, especially in the reality of today's world.
                  Work sucks.... Lets go boating!

1986 Century Bronco 180 3.0L Mercruiser / Alpha One
                  1983 Regal Ambassador 245XL 260HP Mercruiser / Alpha One

Comment

First and foremost, that is an outstanding job! Perhaps an old bike flag would work to make it more visible?

Comment

Thanks guys for your kind words. A small flag might do the trick for better visibility. I generally need to see the mast from a couple hundred feet away in order to plan the 'approach' and pick-up.

Comment

Awesome build! +1 on Great Stuff foam being a great adhesive too. I used some the other day and it's still stuck to me in places! How does the mast buoy get its name? Is it connected to the mast of a sailing boat? If so what is it's use? Sorry for the questions, I'm just not familiar with sailing gizmos.

Comment

Originally posted by kfa4303 View Post
                          Awesome build! +1 on Great Stuff foam being a great adhesive too. I used some the other day and it's still stuck to me in places! How does the mast buoy get its name? Is it connected to the mast of a sailing boat? If so what is it's use? Sorry for the questions, I'm just not familiar with sailing gizmos.
                          The buoy has a 'mast' so you can grab it from deck height, rather than fishing the mooring line out of the water. Nothing specific to do with sailing.

Comment

Ayuh,.... Great job Ted,.... Ya know I just Love repurposed junk,.....

Comment

Originally posted by tpenfield View Post
                              The buoy has a 'mast' so you can grab it from deck height, rather than fishing the mooring line out of the water. Nothing specific to do with sailing.

Ah, I see. Very handy if you have lots of freeboard, or a big shiny boat like in your sig. That's even cooler than I thought

Comment

Working...
                              X