Removing clothes dye from white vinyl seat? help!

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
So after an awesome day of boating from Jax Beach FL, to St. Augustine FL, we thought we had what turned out to finally be the perfect trip. No wait to launch at a busy yet, moving ramp. No wait to load either. No bad weather, no mishaps. Perfect trip. Saw lots of sea turtles, dolphins and puffer fish. Just a good day. For once, the gremlins didn't strike.

-until-

Well, when I get the boat back home and I'm cleaning it, I notice that the white vinyl seat my son was sitting on had a nice big blue circle on it from where apparently he was sitting on his hat and between the water and sunscreen the dye bled and stained the vinyl.

I tried soap/water first, 409, magic eraser and bleach... Nothing removed it.

Does anyone know what will take clothes dye out of vinyl? :frusty:

joemac356

Cadet
Re: Removing clothes dye from white vinyl seat? help!

I don't know about removing it, but you might try vinyl dye, available at auto paint stores, possibly one of the large auto parts stores.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So after an awesome day of boating from Jax Beach FL, to St. Augustine FL, we thought we had what turned out to finally be the perfect trip. No wait to launch at a busy yet, moving ramp. No wait to load either. No bad weather, no mishaps. Perfect trip. Saw lots of sea turtles, dolphins and puffer fish. Just a good day. For once, the gremlins didn't strike.

-until-

Well, when I get the boat back home and I'm cleaning it, I notice that the white vinyl seat my son was sitting on had a nice big blue circle on it from where apparently he was sitting on his hat and between the water and sunscreen the dye bled and stained the vinyl.

I tried soap/water first, 409, magic eraser and bleach... Nothing removed it.

Does anyone know what will take clothes dye out of vinyl? :frusty:

Sometimes leaving the boat in the sun for a full day or two will do the trick.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Mother's VLR works great for cleaning it off and will not damage the vinyl.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if that's all that happened bad, I'd say it was a perfect trip

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frustrating situation, one I can relate to, especially if you?re trying to keep the boat as nice as possible (uphill battle).

I guess the only two options are "bleach" or "paint".

I was trying to find a fabric paint to use on some stained fabric material caused by a leaking porthole in my head area (sometimes I wish they left it all bare fiberglass). I found the following product I?m seriously considering.

I noticed they also offer a ?marine? vinyl paint as well (not sure what the real difference is between their ?vinyl? and ?marine vinyl? paints, I'd ask them). I have never used their products before so I can?t give you any experience with them, but it may be worth checking them out.

Here?s the link:
Simply Spray | Fabric Paint | Upholstery Fabric Paint

Hope this helps.

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

b-12 carburetor cleaner takes off almost anything. test it somewhere first....

cr2k

Captain

As hot of water as you can stand and soap. The hot water will trigger the vinyl to release it's "oil" and should "flush" the dye off.

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I doubt you'd want to use that on vinyl.
I have used b-12 on vinyl, It was a new seat with a black stain. Nothing else would even touch the stain, b-12 took it out and left the seat intact.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Sometimes leaving the boat in the sun for a full day or two will do the trick.

So I would have laughed at this until I experienced it. Someone set a bag down on one of my sig boat seats. It looked like a blue pen was sticking out of the bag and wrote on the seat over and over while underway. I saw it the next day, cursed a bit and couldn't get it off with the Maguire's vinyl and rubber cleaner that I had on the boat while on vacation. We were out the entire next day in the bright sun and by the end of the day the stain was maybe 30% as noticeable. I am still scratching my head.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same thing happen to me. It was a brand new beach towel that once wet released all of its dye onto my white seats!!! Ugh! The towel was moved from seat to seat before I noticed it. At the time it was a brand new boat I had only had for 3 weeks. I was SICK!!! I used hot water and elbow grease repeatedly and then followed up with 303 vinyl cleaner. It did not come out and I was told not to use other products as I could destroy the vinyl in time. Someone mentioned sun...the very thing I worked hard at avoiding since the sun is not great for your seats either. I figured....why not try it for a few days as this had to be better for the vinyl then harsh chemicals or products. I am happy to report and agree.........the sun will be your friend for a few days. Once you are happy with the results.....follow with vinyl protectant. Good luck and know there is hope. :)

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same thing happen to me. It was a brand new beach towel that once wet released all of its dye onto my white seats!!! Ugh! The towel was moved from seat to seat before I noticed it. At the time it was a brand new boat I had only had for 3 weeks. I was SICK!!! I used hot water and elbow grease repeatedly and then followed up with 303 vinyl cleaner. It did not come out and I was told not to use other products as I could destroy the vinyl in time. Someone mentioned sun...the very thing I worked hard at avoiding since the sun is not great for your seats either. I figured....why not try it for a few days as this had to be better for the vinyl then harsh chemicals or products. I am happy to report and agree.........the sun will be your friend for a few days. Once you are happy with the results.....follow with vinyl protectant. Good luck and know there is hope. :)

So with leaving it in the sun, should I put any chemical on it at all? or just trust that the sun itself is enough?