best way to handle ocean swells on smaller boat?

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice
Was wondering if anybody had any pointers on how to best approach / handle ocean swell on a smaller boat, largely caused from bigger ships..
Have a 14 ft boat with 35HP 2 cycle motor. When running it in the bay there's a lot of traffic from bigger boats and they create pretty big swell waves. I usually hit them head on and let the bow rise and land back on the water but wasn't sure if this was the best way? I tried riding them which was fun but wasn't sure if that could bring the bow down and nose into the water? Sometimes they are 3-4 high and it's pretty fun but should there be any worry/real risk?

The boat has a vhull in the front and decreases to about a 10 degree V to back.

1016968_10151759647724060_1823582384_n.jpg

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
Re: best way to handle ocean swells on smaller boat?

Well, that's a lake boat and doesent belong on the ocean, but in the bay it may be ok if your careful. Take the waves head on, but don't put too much power to it. If you stuff the bow, your boat could take on quite a bit of water

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Those are not swells, those are wakes. Swells are not caused by other water craft, will have a longer period, and won't be as steep. The best way to take wakes is at a 45 degree angle and slow enough that you won't hurt yourself or the boat, but fast enough that you don't get swamped.

matt167

Captain

Those are not swells, those are wakes. Swells are not caused by other water craft, will have a longer period, and won't be as steep. The best way to take wakes is at a 45 degree angle and slow enough that you won't hurt yourself or the boat, but fast enough that you don't get swamped.

On a larger boat I would agree, but he's only got 14' and a very low freeboard on that type of boat. I think his safest way is just to take them head on. No chance of swamping the boat that way, if the approach wasn't perfect

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'm more agreeing with the slow and 45 degree point of view.....

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

that's what I was thinking .. I was referring to them more as swells because of the size of the boat.. The bow of the boat is built higher with a deeper hull, but from the area were the driver / passengers sit it's a lower freeboard but still has a rounded v hull underneath that continues to the rear. It's hard to see it in the photo but it's bigger than it looks ... It actually rides really well over the swells/wakes when taking them head on but not sure if it's best in terms of wear/tear on the boat.

I wasn't sure about this when I was in the bay around larger boats so I experimented and found that when I approached them at an angel I didn't have much control verses taking them head on , although the front hull of the boat didn't splash back down on the water. I also tried riding them in the same direction at and easing up on the throttle so they "pass through" which worked well but wasn't always practical..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm not a fan of the 45 degree theory. You get too low and your going to get rolled. Heading straight into them can be equally as bad depending on the frequency. I've stuffed the bow heading straight into the wakes of passing freighters while trolling more times than I care to remember.

Having said that, if they are spaced such that I don't bury the bow on the next wave set I'll go at them straight on. Otherwise, I'll steer into them @ 22 degrees.

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not a fan of the 45 degree theory. You get too low and your going to get rolled. Heading straight into them can be equally as bad depending on the frequency. I've stuffed the bow heading straight into the wakes of passing freighters while trolling more times than I care to remember.

Having said that, if they are spaced such that I don't bury the bow on the next wave set I'll go at them straight on. Otherwise, I'll steer into them @ 22 degrees.

When you steer in at 22 degrees how fast are you going?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Depends on the wave size and the period. Anywhere from 2.5 -30 kts.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As a life-long wake jumper, I agree with Dingbat; 45* is too much but you want a slight angle.

The most important skill is varying your speed; you do this to pick your bow up. Only YOU and your boat can know how to do this, and that takes practice practice practice. You also need to know how to vary your speed with following wakes, and how to turn 180* on one wave.

Once you have this, your ocean swells will be easy. Chop, on the other hand, is harder but the skills are the same.

Just because you figure this out doesn't mean you can drive it to Catalina, though.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

When in a small boat dealing with big wakes, I hit the wakes head-on with the engine/boat going full-reverse. Makes for a nice smooth ride through the wake.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to be the guy selling lower units in your town. I can't think of a worse technique, both for your boat and for your crossing wakes safely.
Never shift from forward to reverse. Pause at neutral until the boat is close to a dead stop and the prop is practically not spinning. That includes when docking.
And so, don't come to a dead stop when a big wake is about to crest your bow!

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

When in a small boat dealing with big wakes, I hit the wakes head-on with the engine/boat going full-reverse. Makes for a nice smooth ride through the wake.

Swamped alot boats have ya?

Cabbitt

Cadet

Full speed ahead I say!

"If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!"