Plasti dip your boat?

redfury

Commander
So, in my never ending endeavor to find different painting solutions for my Glastron project, considering some of the paint schemes I've wanted will ultimately end up costing my hundreds in paint alone, I've kept my eyes out for other possible solutions.

I ran across this tonight and have started to consider the possibilities. It's not a permanent solution, so using it as bottom paint would be fool-hardy. However, that aside, for my trailer-ed boat the idea of plasti dip has its merits. It can be fixed, it's cheap, it's not glossy unless I wanted it to be glossy ( I don't ) it's easy to apply and if something doesn't turn out, you can simply rip it off and start over, there's no stripping and sanding and all that fuss. Not to mention pretty easy on the pocket book to the point where you can change the paint up if you felt like going through all the masking and cleaning for prep. It also uses a pretty basic paint sprayer, so you don't need an expensive compressor or crazy HLVP spray set...not to mention you can do it to the trailer, trailer tires, boat motor....Granted, I'm sure that it's not going to hold up to things like dock rash or things of that nature, but it's easy enough to protect against most of that.

That, and I can probably convince the wife that it's worth spending the money on it over something expensive like bright sides or similar product.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

There are a lot of Youtube videos on it out there if you want to see what I'm talking about...perhaps this will replace rustoleum marine as the cheap alternative paint for boats?:laugh:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Plasti dip your boat?

If "you can simply rip it off and start over", you will be doing that a lot. Wheels and maybe trailer, but that's about it. The boat gets banged around to much and once it gets a start, moving water will do a good job of stripping large chunks off. Same thing happens on a poorly prepped paint job that isn't easily stripped off like Plasti-Dip. My two pennies.

trollstaven

Recruit

Hi,
Have sprayed my yamma outboard hood with black plasti-dipp a couple of months ago. Its still looks fantastic. I also belive that its reduces some engine noise. Used two spraycans and sprayed in thin layers. Good luck!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If "you can simply rip it off and start over", you will be doing that a lot.

Tried the spray in the bottom of deck chairs with little success

That has been my experience with plasti-dip... It works well on surfaces where it can bond to itself in a circle and completely encapsulate the thing being coated. (plasti-dip was originally for dipping tool handles after all...) If you spray a single flat sheet of it on something like a trailer deck, its worthless. (yes, tried that on the snowmobile trailer. There were large chunks pulling up the first time I unloaded) Given the large surfaces on a boat, you won't get any advantage of it bonding to itself, so I imagine its not going to work well...

*yes, i know lots of people plasti-dip vehicles. Still far less demanding than a boat*

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've sprayed the roof of my car just fine. the surface has to be cleaned and NOT waxed, and multiple coats are needed. But, I must agree that the shell of the boat which will be in the water will simply not stand up to the abuse and the 'dip will rip off. Properly applied elsewhere on the boat it could be a great non-slip surface.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I can imagine a chunk of that peeling off and then wrapping around the lower unit while underway, blocking the water intake ports.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Do they make "Plasti-Dip" in that large of can to dip your boat...? :laugh: :facepalm:

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm familiar with it -- I painted some bumpers, grills, and wheels with it.

It will only work on topside stuff.

Below the waterline won't work. It will just peel. And then you'll respray that area and it won't look good either.

I've been using Eastwood Single Stage Urethane in Rat Rod black. You can gt 3/4 gallon for $50. Use any common air sprayer to put it on. Here it is on my Mercury motor. Nice flat black. Again, I would only use it topside.

redfury

Commander

Did you paint the lower unit as well, or just everything above the anti cavitation plate? If you painted the lower unit at well, then that should see the most severe duty. My plans were to paint the bottom of the boat with a standard bottom type paint, but the rest of it ( sides and top ) with the plasti dip, as well as the motor. Obviously there are some risks to the process, but my boat will really see infrequent use ( about a dozen times a year ).