My "PVC-based boat cover frame support" build

Dave88LX

Seaman
19' cuddy cabin. I have gotten a lot of good ideas on here from various projects I've seen; of course every boat is different. Can't have a plan until you start in on your own boat. Intent is to get it kind of steep in order to let any rain and snow run off and not build up/puddle on top of it. Empty cockpit, so I have free reign of pole placement. Once I have an interior, I'll need to redesign it, but just want to protect what's left the best I can.

After looking at it from the rear taking this picture, I need to get those supports out a bit further. Maybe reverse the two sections of diagonal PVC. Going to build a mating section at the rear, and some cross-support; heck I don't know.

Figure it out as I go really.

20130701_223044.jpg

Dave88LX

Seaman
Re: My "PVC-based boat cover frame support" build

Ahhh, so, I had a mega-huge brain fart building this thing. A lot of trial and error mixed up with some of my normal "over complication" of simple things. My intent for the back of the boat was to mirror the front, but just build it shorter so that it slopes towards teh back. I replicated the three "T-fittings" setup that I have up front, and finished building the support for it. Little did I even think, that because the two outer T-fittings are on different horizontal planes, they will never match up. I left them loose so that I could twist them into perfect alignment. Well, great, but since they are at an angle, they rotate at an angle. In/down, or out/up.:facepalm:

So, I need to rebuilt the back section again, and just put the three t-fittings next to each other, but I can maintin the angle. This will make the three supports taper to a more central point in the rear. Should still work. It also looks like it may be a bit tall. I'm not sure yet, won't know until I throw the cover on. I may need to end up taking the front down a bit still. I will temporarily hold the PVC T-fitting angles with a screw; and glue it once I'm positive.

Holding in the front-rear sections of PVC -- I drilled a hole through the fitting flange, through the pipe wall, and out the other side. Stuck a piece of 12AWG home wire through and twisted it.

I don't know why I do this to myself.:cold:

20130704_190348.jpg

20130704_190330.jpg

20130704_190539.jpg

Dave88LX

Seaman

Eh so it may be a little taller than I need it to be. PVC and angles...can only do so much. Rock solid though. It appears weak in the back, but I put a lot of weight on it and it's good. Way more complicated than I intended it being. Once I throw a cover on, I will be able to tell if I need to come down at all (or go up). Not a big deal.

Eh, so there we have it.

20130705_184303.jpg

20130705_184245.jpg

20130705_184231.jpg

20130705_184223.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Thats interesting. I make a sort of shelter over my pontoon during the winter with enough room so I can get under it to work out of 2 inch PVC and a new tarp. Nothing like yours though.

frame.JPG

inside 3.JPG

inside 5.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member

Nice . . .

(looks like some of the plumbing at my summer house) :D

I got to do something like that for the winter . . . I made a frame out of 1x3 lumber and it did not fair so well.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello Hawker
Nice design. Seems simple enough. Did you anchor the center poles to the deck of the toon?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

smiles, no not at all, it looks about like a frame I made for a old bow rider I used to have, the steeper the angle it has the better it sheds rain and snow.

Uncle Dave
no their just sitting on the deck, the side ropes running from the ridge pole keep plenty of pressure on it to keep it in place.

Dave88LX

Seaman

I had someone ask me "What the hell is the Windows 95 screensaver doing in your boat?" :lol:

Dave88LX

Seaman

Covered. Could have used a bit longer cover, but this will work.

20130720_213602.jpg

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Eh so it may be a little taller than I need it to be. PVC and angles...can only do so much.

It seems to me all you have to do to adjust that whole frame lower is to cut your vertical supports to a shorter length. Alternately you could just cut the front verticals to adjust the angle as well as overall height. There's no real reason for the peak to be so much higher than your windshield and lowering it may give you the length of cover you need to cover your pulpit.

82rude

Rear Admiral

ok, I will bite.how much did this rig cost?i like the idea though don't get me wrong.:D looks like some hillbilly wakeboad tower,lol.:lol:

Last edited:

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's creative! I took a simpler route. Had two plastic saw horses. I line up in the front of the boat and one in the back. Wallah, the rain drips right off the saw horses/ cover to the ground.

andrewafloat

Recruit

You might be interested in checking out the description that I posted on building my PVC frame. Pretty simple design that has lasted well over the past couple of years.

IMG_1302.JPG

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Yeah PVC pipe is the way to go although a bit more costly than conduit for some reason and 80# conduit is very strong. You just don't get all the neat assortment of angle fittings. Here's a look at mine.

tpenfield

Staff member

I had a frame & tarp malfunction after the first snow last year. So, I went with a more heavy duty set up this year that hopefully will stand up to the winter winds and snow, and be reusable. I used wood though, instead of PVC.

After the issues of last year (frame tipped over and collapsed) I have made sure that the frame is well secured to the boat and the tarp wraps around the boat and is held tight at the keel, so wind cannot get underneath it, etc.

IMG_3133.jpg

I left the bimini up, figuring it would keep the tarp billowed out at the sides and not allow water/snow to pool up in that area. I won't be able to check it for a few weeks, so I hope that it is all right. :noidea:

rogerwa

Commander

Thats interesting. I make a sort of shelter over my pontoon during the winter with enough room so I can get under it to work out of 2 inch PVC and a new tarp. Nothing like yours though.

View attachment 201787

View attachment 201788

View attachment 201789

I do exactly the same as yours. My peak is about 7.5 feet off the deck and use a 20x40' tarp, a bunch of tarp clamps and some rope and it sheds my Northern WI winter snow just fine. Takes me about 10 minutes to assemble..

limitout

Banned

Ahhh, so, I had a mega-huge brain fart building this thing. A lot of trial and error mixed up with some of my normal "over complication" of simple things.

nice but man that's some way overkill on pipe size, drop it down to 1" or 1 1/4" pipe but I don't have snow loads to consider down here in the south

you should use the grey electrical pipe at half the price or less of water pipe and then cut your number of fittings used in half if you plan it right since you only need a basic A-frame design and not a full on support structure to get the same results. the grey pipe has long radius turns that are much better for tarping over without tearing.

Yeah PVC pipe is the way to go although a bit more costly than conduit for some reason and 80# conduit is very strong. You just don't get all the neat assortment of angle fittings. Here's a look at mine.

yeah that's more like it, simpler with a lot less fittings and a lot cheaper too but I disagree about the limited fittings in grey electrical pvc, there are long radius 45's and long radius 90's and straight couplings so what else do you need and are missing except just for the tee's???

Last edited:

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking in spring we should start a thread on what idea worked and what did not, except for poll barns and shrink wraps.:rolleyes: