1960 Glaspar Cabin

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Wanting to ask the pro's opinons on this particular model boat and what is bad and good about it. Seems to look very clean and nice in the photos. However in person it could tell a whole different story. Obviously it may not be registered current to take out on the lake for a sea trial. Owner states he never took it or has taken it in salt water only lake nearby. It is about all I know and the price I'm working on him for that still.

What you guys think???

1960 Glasspar obo!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 Glaspar Cabin

Recently I worked on one just like it but not restored. It was powered by a 100 horse Mercury and did 39 MPH with three people aboard. It was a "round bottom" hull as many were in the old days and rode really well. The owner later bought another boat for fishing and had me transfer the Merc to that one. Unfortunately there was no market for the hull and I think he scrapped it. IF I HAD ROOM, I would have made him a reasonable offer for it. I always liked the high cuddy with the pedestal seat and steering arrangement.

Personally at 3500 I think the owner is asking way too much: He thinks he should get back all he put into it and unless the boat is a classic, in demand boat, it just isn't going to happen. If you really like the boat and want to do the work to finish restoring it, I don't think 2000-2500 would be out of reason. Pricey, but not unreasonable if you really want the boat. But remember: At 2500-3500 you still can buy complete working hulls; maybe not as pretty, but not needing any work.

However, That is just my opinion. You may do better at the Glasspar owners forum

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Frank, and that just it, owner is at $2500 I'm trying to work him some more. Plus I have not seen the boat to really take into account how much still needs to be done. He did say tags are current so around California that is a plus, and all that is left is upholstery and seats but judging by photos maybe more? Other then steering system new I'm sure it will need fine tweaked and also the gauges don't appear to be present. He said he can hook to hose and run it no problems, and as anyone would say always best to sea trial.

Now I did do that on my 1970 Bayliner I still currently own and ran well on some heavy swells and still runs great with exception to a few things requiring a tune up. So anything is possible and even after a sea trial which is a major boost, you can still end up with problems shortly after. I wasn't looking to get rid of the boat but I too love the design and love the cuddy because I have three young children who can get out of the weather. For that matter sleep! lol.

Attempting to look at boat tomorrow and make a list to all it will need and go from there. I'm not dead set on it and if I could find another in less work required for same price in California I would be happy camper. Running, not major rot, etc would be a huge plus the rest like looks I could care less its my boat and not only would my family be in it for occasional trips its main purpose is fishing off the coast of pacific ocean.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

"upholstery and seats" figure $1K. I see a little more in the pics and you may find even more when you see it. Good looking boat- looks clean too. If the floor, stringers, and transom are solid she would be a buy at $2K. I'd be dreaming of a Yamaha 115 hp 4 stroke....

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Couldn't agree more as the trailer alone looks very nice! That in its self is worth $1000 here in my location. Boat size is 19feet the only thing I don't like is a 10 gallon fuel tank so right off the bat I know I need to upgrade. Even my 17 ft is 17 gallon and its a I/O so not sure if a outboard such as this runs better on gas MPG or if that is even a factor in comparison!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I totally just can't get over its design looks amazing and yet large enough to sleep on but not fully efficient. Still keeping its size for fishing!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Take a tape measure with you when you look at the boat again. The owner of the one I worked on told me his was 17 feet long. I said "No WaY!" It was as long as my cuddy. We measured it and it was -- I don't remember exactly--either an inch or two under 20 or right on 20 feet long. he used it offshore New jersey And I think came through the Barnegat inlet which is known to be one of the most difficult ones in the U.S.

And yes, 10 gallons is both regressive and dangerous if you intend to go offshore with the boat. I would go nothing less than (2) 15s. I have a 30 gallon on my 21 foot cuddy and with a 150, it just doesn't give me the cruise range I need. I generally carry two extra, portable 6s for safety when I go into the bays..

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again Frank. I did not look at boat yet will be doing so today. Owner said it was 19 feet so maybe he is about right and 20 feet with trailer.

As for the motor is that something that is reliable as for the make and model of it? Evinrude still offering parts for all models I would assume and not something like a OMC who went out buisness years ago. (I know I had a few). Why I went back to getting more than one but the boat was worth it overall. Then again I don't own them any more lol.

I know all the other basics to keep eye on transom rot, deck rot/soft spots, hull damage, etc..... and for the engine running I will test run it without a doubt but since I have no way of putting in the water I will assume that it will be rather difficult to load test it? So ultimatley that part will kind of be the kicker, motor runs great in driveway then I fix a few things take it down to dock and what do you know it don't run on load? ****!!! LoL Lucky for me my prefered dock is about 2 miles from the house so will make it easier to test things before full launch. ($12) launch fee will kill you over time.

One other thing while on subject of load test, I can do that in the water at the docks while on trailer right?

NYBo

Admiral

She's a beauty! I hope you can make a deal.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You can rev it on the muffs just like on the trailer -- no load either way. Both give an indication but to know what it is like she needs to run on the water at various speeds/rpm.
$12 fee is high for around here. There are numerous state ramps (free) and the private ramps only accommodate small boats and skiffs with a $5 fee. All that gets crowded on summer weekends and holidays. I own an indoor dry slip... only way to beat the mess at the ramps. The marina launched 191 boats on Memorial Day- retrieved all but a few -- and no one had a long wait or reason for a tantrum at the dock-- no ramp there,,,,

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Crabby captain john,

Hey thanks for your support I sure hope that the deal works out as well. Owner says over text on phone he would go as low as $2500 but again once I see the boat I hope find a few minor things I could bargain to lower price a little more.

Not sure I will get him to $2000 but sure will be a good thing if I did. Like I said before that trailer alone is worth $1000 the way it sits and sure it's not galvanized but appears to be in solid shape and new paint and rims and tires.

My only issue will be the deck and if he replaced that properly or replaced at all before assembly. Time will tell I will be going by tonight after 6pm to look at it, and with it being only 20 mins away I have plenty of light left to explore.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Take a flashlight and open all deck hatches. Take a mirror too. You will want to see as much below deck as possible. If the floor was replaced there is a good chance-- great probability-- the stringers needed replaced as well. Tap the transom to get an idea if it is solid or may have rot. Unless 100% certain there is not rot make the deal contingent on having a survey. IMO a boat with rot in those areas is only worth what it can be parted out for minus landfill fees. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Crabby captain john,

Hey thanks for your support I sure hope that the deal works out as well. Owner says over text on phone he would go as low as $2500 but again once I see the boat I hope find a few minor things I could bargain to lower price a little more.

Not sure I will get him to $2000 but sure will be a good thing if I did. Like I said before that trailer alone is worth $1000 the way it sits and sure it's not galvanized but appears to be in solid shape and new paint and rims and tires.

My only issue will be the deck and if he replaced that properly or replaced at all before assembly. Time will tell I will be going by tonight after 6pm to look at it, and with it being only 20 mins away I have plenty of light left to explore.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Unless 100% certain there is not rot make the deal contingent on having a survey. IMO a boat with rot in those areas is only worth what it can be parted out for minus landfill fees. Good luck and let us know how it goes.[/QUOTE said:
First statement you mean buy it have someone who is a pro look it over and if not what he says it is I can bring it back and refund type of survey?

Second statement I disagree, it really is the amount of money and heart and time you willing to put into the boat, and if you love it that much then the sky's the limit! LOL

matt167

Captain

John only means don't spend too much.. With a boat that is rotten, expect +-$1,500 to fix it ( if it is rotten or repaired incorrectly ). That is the type of boat I would spend the $$ on tho.. Rotted hulls are virtually worthless except uncommon or sought after hulls to the right person.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

So I went and looked at boat and spent over a hour hearing it run to the full inspection. Everything was solid, I stood on the out drive and no transom flex. The splash well was allowing room for under to be exposed and view the stringers in the rear as well as the transom no rot anywhere. Just signs of its age! Motor ran excellent he choked it turned over started for a sec died. Then choke off started up and ran great even throttled up and down. No issues there. The only thing it lacks a lot of is pieces parts missing all over, but he claims he had everything to put back on except the Upholstery needing finished. Front cabin was solid and all seats present. I walked on the bow and it was solid.

I absolutely love the design, love the boat, he talked so much with me and I expressed my knowledge about boats and my knowledge I gained while reading all over Iboat forum!!!! :))) All the props out to the pro's since I have done my fair share of reading and obviously retained that knowledge that he could tell I knew a few things or two! With that said he said hey, "I know my price is $3500, but considering I can tell your active duty Navy and your a boat guy, and you know your boats, etc... I will offer today at $2500. I said yea that is fair price. Long story short though I told him I'm gonna take photos and go home and think it over. So I did but knowing I wanted the boat I didn't wait but maybe two hours and I text him on his phone saying the most I could offer without being rude is $2000. Told him to think it over the night and get back to me after he talks to his wife. They are expecting a baby so that worked very well in my favor. Well 30 minutes later he said we are happy with your offer lets make it happen!!! Wow so I will fully make my decision over night and work out a day either Monday or Tuesday to bring her home.

My 1970 Bayliner is going to be jealous so now I need to find a new home for her :(((( I hate to do it but I have no room for two boats and a cuddy is what I really wanted!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

By the way it is a 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan! Pictures I took to follow soon.

NYBo

Admiral

Sweet! And cool that he gave you a "military discount." Looking forward to the pix, and thank you for your service.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

No pictures uploaded yet, but I will if I decide to purchase boat. I will say that I sway the original owner more and he decided to lower price down to $1800? So what you think worth it?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Those Glaspars don't stay on the market long around my area unless they are complete junk, nice ones are getting harder to find every year. Yours looks to be one of the cleaner ones I've seen recently!