Tie down of 17' Grumman Standard Aluminum Canoe

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
My long owned 17' foot Grumman aluminum canoe has always been carried on a small SUV with a factory root rack. I have never had a problem with using that transport with the canoe tied down front and rear... maybe a rope over the top of the canoe tied to the anchored roof rack.

I no longer have the transport car and purchased a one-man loader for use with my Colorado pickup truck. This gives me a rear end tie down and now the question: The truck does not have a roof rack.

I have an after market roof rack that is too narrow to reach across the cab of my truck. But, it has nice feet to put on the top of my truck and a nice surface for the upside down canoe to rest against.

My plan is to use the recommended rear tie down on the receiver hitch connected rear post and 'T", and to tie the front of the canoe to over the hood of the truck to the bumper with two ropes, each ran to the bumper about 2 feet apart and centered. This is the approach from the past.

Next I plan to use a ratchet type tie down just behind the cab connected to the front die down rings in the pick up truck bed. With the ratchet I can generate significant pressure, downward pull on the canoe which is transferred to the unfastened roof rack cross bar. I believe this will put enough pressure on the "feet" of the roof rack bar to hold it stationary on the roof. I note that another approach would be to buy the soft Styrofoam (really something much more flexible and tough) pads one can put on the gunwales of the canoe where it meets the roof of the carrying vehicle. But, why not just use my roof rack bar. Neither has a screwed down connection to the roof and depend on the tie downs to hold the canoe in place.

Any ideas, suggestion, criticisms?

I need to carry the canoe aboue 35 miles and I'd like to some on an Interstate where I can get by at 60 mph, but not much slower.:confused:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tie down of 17' Grumman Standard Aluminum Canoe

I'd be concerned about the unattached rack.
I've carried a lot of canoes on a lot of roofs (rooves?) and have sometimes had them lurch over to the side on a blast of wind or sudden turn.
I like the foam blocks, too.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, that is the sort of concern I have, but I think the roof rack/bar I have has feet with near the friction one gets from the "foam" blocks so often used to "attach" a canoe to the roof of a car.

I would at least test with some lateral force to see what the canoe does when it is buckled down. I can always move over to the Subaru Forester, my wife's car, but I prefer to use my pickup and I purchased the sleeve hitch one-man loader to carry the canoe on my truck. The upcoming use is my son's visit, he and I can easily lift a canoe to the top of a car, so we can put it on the Forester if necessary.

Use of a ratcheting tie down strap to the bed of the truck is more tie down in that direction than I have ever had, still the factory installed roof rack will take a lot of lateral force and not break loose - I hope, believe, has been my experience.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the thing is, if the roof rack fails it could damage your car or owrse one behind you. The foam blocks won't, if they come off at all.

be careful ratcheting down as you can easily bend your canoe. Aluminum is known for that.

cr2k

Captain

I would think the foam blocks would tend to chafe the paint on your roof where the rubber feet would do less harm.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hadn't given any thought to the idea that I could ratchet the tie down hard enough to bend the canoe.. suppose that needs to be considered.

Guess I really miss the good old screwed on roof racks. There I never worried about he canoe moving sideways off the roof.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

why not build a rack at the front of the bed and keep the canoe off of your roof altogether... then you could ratchet it directly to both cross bars with a light line to the front bumper to stop any flexing n bouncing

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Rent a trailer from U haul.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, now we are getting some real innovative ideas.

My Colorado is about 8' from the receiver hitch to the front of the bed, that leaves 9' of canoe overhang somewhere. Maybe 3' at the rear then we have 6 feet out over the cab. Doesn't feel right, even with tie downs. Yes, if I pur a rack on the roof that gives only another 2', say of canoe over supports, still about 4' out in free space over the hood...but That's what I'm used to, better or not.

A trailer? It would have to be a boat trailer, this canoe is longer than my 9.9 hp fishing boat. Besides I consider anyone using a trailer to carry a single canoe a "wimp" - ha! unless of curse they are pulling it with the motor cycle.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have hauled a 17' alum canoe many times on the roof rack of my jeep... about 6' from front to back so 11' hanging off... been at 70+ mph highway speeds and in 4 low on VERY rough roads n trails... never had any problem

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Eight foot spread is plenty for a seventeen foot canoe. I agree with the foam gunwale pads or pool noodle pieces slit lengthwise to accomplish the same thing with the bow on the roof or an additional southern engineered rack at the front of the bed. For securing it I also agree that ratcheting straps aren't the best choice. Good cam straps from NRS or another reputable river gear supply company are just as secure, easier to use, and much kinder to your canoe. I also strongly encourage a bow rope at all times, but especially with a canoe of that size. I like one secured at two anchor points and tied with a trucker's hitch.