Power boat or kayak

lckcpaddler2

Recruit
I am looking into getting a new boat to fish in and I wanted to get your advice on wether or not I should get a kayak or invest in a fishing boat. I know there ar pros and cons to both but maybe someone can give me some advice on which way to go.

A little about me. 1st, I love kayaking. 2nd, I fish in fresh water and usually in shallow water. 3rd, I love being outside. 4th, I like to fish on most weekends throughout the Summer

I also enjoy power boats and going fast. I know a power boat would have more storage and of course would be a lot faster than a kayak and I could bring another person with me..

I guess I am just looking to get advice from someone out there who has a fishing kayak and a power boat.

I am thinking about getting this fishing kayak: Kayak Malibu X-factor ? Kayak Trader

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks so much!

Morgan

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Power boat or kayak

Welcome to iboats Morgan!
It really comes down to economics- how much $$$ can you afford to spend? Kayaking is obviously less expensive.

I guess I am just looking to get advice from someone out there who has a fishing kayak and a power boat.

Well, I have a 23' speedboat and wanted to fish the shallows, so I bought a used 9' Old Town Otter.
As it turned out, the Otter fits perfectly inside the cuddy cabin, so it allows me to use the boat to get to the best spots, then launch the kayak and fish. The Otter isn't a dedicated fishing kayak but it can be rigged with whatever gear you want.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dam2009

Seaman

Have you considered bass boat? You can strap on a 200hp outboard which would keep everyone happy. It comes down to how much money are you willing to spend.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also consider the "incidental costs" which can add up in a hurry. Tow vehicle for the boat vs car top for the kayak. Storage consideration for the boat vs minimal for the kayak. You can add to the list but get my point.
That said, I'm a boat guy when it comes to fishing. I can go out in worse weather in comfort, bring more gear, have friends to share the experience (and gas) and cover a lot more lake/ocean/whatever than a kayak. A lot depends on the type of fishing you prefer and budget. For me, it was an easy choice.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I needed something that could hold a cooler of beer, so a kayak was out of the question.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Option #2, get a used Jon boat something relatively inexpensive which will allow you to reach those shallow areas, have pleanty of space, stability and can accomodate more than one person. You can get to areas quicker with a motor to power it, and if you want the rowing action, they are small enough so that you can get than exercise out of the way too. As an added bonus, the money you'll save on the Jon may enable you to get the kayak as well. but wait there's more, jon boats can also come with live wells so you can bring home more fish or double it as a cooler for beer. Me, boat guy all day long.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I have both and would hate to choose between the two. I must admit the power boat gets used alot more because I usually have people that want to go fishing with me. When I am alone or when my kayak partener is availiable we use them. If I could only have one I suppose it would be the power boat, but what the hell, get both..

Airshot

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1 x sit on top kayak, 1 x sit inside kayak 1 x double seat kayak, 1 x 3 x seater canoe and 1 x 17ft power boat. Each of these boats fit a different need. And, each has their pros and cons. For example, the double seater kayaks/canoe keeps my body in physical shape, I use the little 1 x seater kayak for "around the lake" manual spin during quiet hour sunrise and the Power boat is for tubing and long distance cruising. And, I continue to use each different boat - depending on flavor of the day, wind conditions and our chosen river/lake.

re:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/Boat Pictures/IMG_0014.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/Seasonal Camp Site/IMG_0115.jpg

Based on my different floating toys during the many years, I've learned that a kayak (even a 10ft single seater) isn't a simple "put on the vehicle's roof" thing. Doing so is hard on the back and hard on the vehicle roof as well. And, hard on the arms / fingers. Especially when the boat slips out of one's fingers on a windy day. Thus, even a single 10ft (for small body person) and 12ft (for large size adults) kayak is best on a kayak trailer. For example: http://cdn.stripersonline.com/7/75/900x900px-LL-75497322_Photo09221828.jpeg or even double at http://loadmastertrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DSC00373.jpg

Knowing what a know today, why not get both? Get 2 x single seat matching kayaks (one for you and one for your buddy) and if you like fishing alone, simple connect together, add an electric motor with 12V battery and "have fun". The other kayak is for supplies, battery and caught fish. re: http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/uploads/60725/SV400443.JPG If you bring a buddy and want 2 x single manual kayaks, simply separate and each can be used separately . Note: Using a above picture and local welding shop, simply get them to create cross bars and steel plates that can be separated using clevis and cotter pins. And being low cost (especially if you buy the 2 x kayaks used and the electric motor used), its near the same cost as if buying a brand new kayak. I'm sure a "used" small flat bed trailer (for 2 x matching kayaks and its connecting bars) can be bought low cost as well.

Once you've done the kayak for a few years and feel you need more speed, then buy a used power boat. Like a flat bottom bass boat with 90+ HP motor. Or, perhaps some other boat. And in a few more years, you'll have a better idea if needing a jon boat, bass boat or simply stick with your customize electric power catamaran kayak.

Hope this helps...

pckeen

Commander

I get the sense that you are working on a budget. If I'm wrong, take airshot's advice and get both. I have a couple of boats, plus a kayak, plus a canoe. I've fished both from the Kayak and Canoe, and I have to say, I much prefer the stability and room of a boat. I don't know where you are, but where I am (Canada - Northern Ontario, and with Minnesota only a couple of hours away), for $200-$500, you can get an inexpensive, used, 12-14 foot tin boat. A used motor (9.9hp or less) will cost something similar...but of course, you might get lucky with an old but reliable motor....or really unlucky. $1000-$2500 can buy you a new motor (4hp-9.9hp in size).

I would much rather be in a small boat, with a small outboard, than in a Kayak.

Ultimately thought, what you pick will depend on both $$$, and lifestyle choice. If you want to be free of noise, and by yourself, and as close to nature as you can possibly get, a Kayak may suit you better. If fishing is your main goal, and you want to get to and from different fishing holes quickly, a boat it your best bet.

Let us know what you decide.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

kind of like asking "bicycle or car" it's all on you ... if you are happy with a kayak then go for it... if you want bigger, better, faster, more, get a boat

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

welcome to iboats.

one thing to know here is that the word "boat" has no meaning. so when you say you are considering a "power boat" what do you mean?

the obvious answer to your question is "both."

a 14' jon boat with a 15 hp would be a good rig for 1-2 fishing the shallows, plenty fast, roomy. Look at the wide bodies. That's the first step up from a 'yak.

Yak fishing is a specialty. Very popular around here where people fish miles from the shore and catch 25-50" stripers, drum, etc or flounder. Of course that's salt water fishing, where fresh-water sized keepers are called "bait."

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Double post.... Hoping Moderator can delete this one....

Attachments

• shark-kayak.jpg
    shark-kayak.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why boats (even kayaks) need motors...

shark-kayak.jpg

lckcpaddler2

Recruit

@batman99,

Thank you for such a detailed post. I guess I really do need to ask myself if I want something fast, expensive, and awesome or if I can deal with the cheaper, slower, and possibly more peaceful kayak. It is kind of like choosing between apples and oranges. However, after much consideration, I have finally decided to go with a kayak. This way I can just throw it on top of my car whenever I like, I can take it to the swap and not worry about getting stuck in shallow water, and I can take it camping over night by using the dry compartments. Before someone replies saying that I can do all those things with a power boat (and I was thinking bass boat), I just feel more drawn to a kayak. In fact, i am going to look at this one today -

P&H Bahiya Sea Kayak + Lots of Accessories- Great Condition!!! ? Kayak Trader

I appreciate all of yall's input! My next post will be of me paddling my kayak and hopefully with a giant fish in hand!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have 4 kayaks, 2 canoes and a bowrider. Most of the paddle boats get used more than the motorboat. They are cheaper, no maintenance, no insurance, no gas, no storage cost, no registration fees, etc. If it wasn't for the wife and kids I'd get rid of the bowrider and just play with my fleet of little plastic boats.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

go to tidalfish.com and the "Virginia" fishing forum, and you will be amazed at the big fish the yakkers land out in the Chesapeake Bay, and the places they go in them. A recent discussion concerned the techniques of anchoring, releasing the anchor and drag when hooking up a 45" cobia. it's a really cool way to fish. Also very popular in the gulf marshes and behind barrier islands.

I personally like canoes and use them duck hunting b/c they are easier to get in and out, but they aren't a stable as a Yak or good in big open water. I used to do some whitewater in a canoe back in the day and that was before yaks became so popular and widely available (my 17' yak is a late 1950's wooden frame, membrane bottom and canvas top!)

have fun--but keep an eye out for a good deal on a jon boat so you have choices!

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

lckcpaddler2.

If wondering, I love kayaking on the lake at sunrise and being with beavers and the cranes during the morning cool mist. Definitely priceless moments in my life.

Before buying a kayak, here's a few tips that might help.
10 feet long for small ladies and kids.
12 feet long for normal size adults
Might go 14ft if loaded down with fishing and other gear. My 14.5T Winderness 2 x seater configured in single seat setup is very stable in the water. Especially at sitting and lower travel speeds.

For fishing, the skirt isn't needed.
Dry well (for keys, wallet, cell phone) is mandatory on all kayaks.
Don't need a sea kayak for open lakes.
Lake kayaks can be used on sea shorelines

Don't need expense kayaks. The one shown in your above URL (at $2,400) seems way over priced to me. For my 2 seater @ 14.5 ft long kayak with rudder, think we paid $1,000 for it. Next time around, I'd buy used - to get even more savings.

Kayaks are awkward when lifting above a car or pickup roof. Especially in the wind. For safety, it takes 2 x people to lift a kayak on the vehicle roof. If on vehicle roof transporting is often done, I would recommend a little trailer (for the kayak). It only takes 1 bad slip to take out one's back. re: Been there, done that and will never put a kayak on a roof by myself again. Never.

Since majority of time will be fishing (less ground speed) in your kayak, I'd buy a lower cost PVC Kayak. Wilderness System brand (which we have) is good. A rudder is nice on the longer 14+ kayaks but isn't mandatory. A good open cockpit model to investigate is: Commander 140 @ Commander - Wilderness Systems Kayaks

Here's the bonus. Buy a kayak design that can be fitted with mini pontoons down each side. Any welding shop can make them for you. Or, they can also be store bought (re: love online internet shopping). For fishing, these side pontoons steady the boat. IMO, they should be standard build for all fishing kayaks. And if attached properly, one can also attach a 12V electric motor to it. For example: http://kayakfishingmagazine.net/21/images/stand.gif

If wondering, I sometimes attach our 36 lbs Minkota electric motor to my 15.5 ft canoe and its amazing. Silent power and when entering shallow waters, I simply lift (tilt) its motor out of the water. If wondering, I also took the factory high rear seat out of our canoe and installed a plastic fishing seat. re: http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/140351_ts.jpg This new seat is only 2" off its floor and by sitting deeper within the canoe cavity, its amazing how stable it made our canoe. IMO, all canoe seats should be lower (for more stability). But, that's a topic for a different post. If kayak boat won't take a few modifications, then perhaps a used Canoe with a few minor mods (like plastic seat, Plastic Battery box and electric motor on mounting bracket) will be better? It would certainly lower the cost with lots of onboard storage room - compared to using expensive small cockpit kayak design.

Hope this helps as well.