bimini top mounting options....will backwards work at all?

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a bimini top for my Bayliner and from what Ive seen, they all fold towards the back of the boat. Im worried that might get in the way when I have the top down. The whole rear deck of my boat is one big platform that opens, the anchor, engine and some storage is there. (Not stock, the interior is completely custom--you could say that the "doghouse" spans the width of the boat. Makes a nice platform to sit up on when fishing) I think the top is going to rest across that deck when down.

If I mount it backwards so it folds to the front, all it will do is lay across the nose of my bow, and its a cuddy, so it really wouldnt be a hindrance up there.

Anyone ever done this, or will it just be too weak structurally when mounted in reverse to drive with it up.....

Thanks in advance for any input!
Neil

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: bimini top mounting options....will backwards work at all?

they do make a nice sliding track system relatively inexpensive. thats what i used on my chapp. if i let it down just mounted down it folded down midway between cockpit and stern. was a big henderance climbing over. and if i folded it forward it went about mid bow. (open bow bow rider) so i installed the track system.. now when i let it down i slide it back so that it folds just in front of the outboard. fits perfect between the back jump seats and outboard cowl. slide track - iboats

airshot

Rear Admiral

Yep, the bimini on my Islander lays down in front of the windsheild on top of the cuddy cabin. Mounted it that way, but also have it mounted on slider rails so it can be moved fore and aft depending on where the sun is shinning. Be sure you have a boot to cover it when not in use as the birds will find it everytime and water spray will cause mildew when rolled up.

Airshot

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, the track sounds like a great idea, the darned thing is there is so little "flat" area on the sides of this boat. Lots of weird '80s angles. I took the top out and held it in different positions and If I mount it on the 12 inches of horizontal surface I have on the top of the sides...it will be shading the rear deck and thats about it. If I go forward up the steep angles headed towards the side glass, the top gets really tall!
I think I am going to try to mount it to the gunwales,not sure. Have to find or make some sort of mounts for that. Just holding it in place with a helper on the other side it seemed like it would not fold flat at all, got to about 45 degrees and it just stuck....I'll figure it out!

EDIT: AHA...I found a pic of a boat like mine with a bimini on it. There IS a track of sorts on the side of the boat, mine are covered by a piece of rubber trim. I pulled those out....thats where the bimini in the pic is mounted. The track is on the outer walls, they are about 5 feet long and run about the length of the side glass, right at the bottom of the windows. Of hand Id say I should have bought a shorter top. Hard to say. Now I gotta get some mounts that can hit that track and couple up to this top.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Do not know if you are aware that you can cut down the height of your top a little. At the end that attatches to your boat you can remove that plastic/stainless fitting and cut up to approx 6" of the tubing to lower the top. Those fottings are usually held on with a screw orpop rivet
Once I had mine in position I decided mine was to tall also, just used a tubing cutter to lop off 5" and reattatched the fitting and mounted the top. The rails make it nice to be able to slide the top to help with the sun, when the top is fixed in one position it is always in the wrong spot...
...if i could only move it just a little farther back.....

Airshot