Registering Canoe In NY. Really This Difficult?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Registering Canoe In NY. Really This Difficult?

because it was a canoe, that's why. Not a vehicle; not a power boat. canoes aren't registered or titled any more than bicycles or surf boards are. Like lawn mowers. Until you put a motor on them.

From the point of view of the state? the state has no business in the transfer of personal property from one person to another. Cars and large motorboats are mobile and seperately taxed, which is why the state tracks them--for taxes. Not for theft prevention. Not for your protection. For taxes. Canoes and lawnmowers aren't taxed and shouldn't be. neither should small boats.

We have a similar problem here with government intrusion into recreation: the floating blind law. You can hunt ducks from a boat (including a canoe) all day, but if you tie one small branch on it for camo (or put up a small piece of burlap, or a tarp, or sides) it becomes, magically, transformed from a boat into a floating blind that requires all kinds of registration, fees and big yellow stickers permanently and prominently mounted. Just to jump shoot ducks in a creek for an hour or two. What a crock.

In Virginia by law all you need is a signed title for a boat trailer but one lawyer I know went ahead and did a bill of sale for the boat, trailer and equipment, signed by both parties, counterpart originals, blue ink signatures, under seal, whereas and now therefores and all--in addition to the required endorsement of the titles. The stupid DMV almost didn't process the trailer registration b/c the bill of sale (remember, not required) did not give the trailer's VIN (which wasn't on the trailer, anywhere). he talked her into it; otherwise he would have had to go to a different DMV and present just the title--could even do it by mail. So even when you follow the law, or do more, you get jambed.

Mobalized

Cadet

because it was a canoe, that's why. Not a vehicle; not a power boat. canoes aren't registered or titled any more than bicycles or surf boards are. Like lawn mowers. Until you put a motor on them.

From the point of view of the state? the state has no business in the transfer of personal property from one person to another. Cars and large motorboats are mobile and seperately taxed, which is why the state tracks them--for taxes. Not for theft prevention. Not for your protection. For taxes. Canoes and lawnmowers aren't taxed and shouldn't be. neither should small boats.

We have a similar problem here with government intrusion into recreation: the floating blind law. You can hunt ducks from a boat (including a canoe) all day, but if you tie one small branch on it for camo (or put up a small piece of burlap, or a tarp, or sides) it becomes, magically, transformed from a boat into a floating blind that requires all kinds of registration, fees and big yellow stickers permanently and prominently mounted. Just to jump shoot ducks in a creek for an hour or two. What a crock.

In Virginia by law all you need is a signed title for a boat trailer but one lawyer I know went ahead and did a bill of sale for the boat, trailer and equipment, signed by both parties, counterpart originals, blue ink signatures, under seal, whereas and now therefores and all--in addition to the required endorsement of the titles. The stupid DMV almost didn't process the trailer registration b/c the bill of sale (remember, not required) did not give the trailer's VIN (which wasn't on the trailer, anywhere). he talked her into it; otherwise he would have had to go to a different DMV and present just the title--could even do it by mail. So even when you follow the law, or do more, you get jambed.

I'm glad someone understands the situation. The canoe was never purchased to have a motor on it, this was a later decision. At the time of purchase I had no thought of ever needing to register it because a motor was put on it. Therefor there was no reason to go looking for more paperwork. It was just a canoe not a motorized boat. Had it been your 18 foot bayliner or bass boat ya obviously it would have been a different situation.

I came here looking for advice not criticism. Clearly this isn't a place to come for that.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

around here you get both; you just have to sort it through, so stickaround.

However, the "how to register" frequent question is only answered with local info for the state and sometimes city/county where you live.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Read the posts again. The DMV gave you the advice you needed to correct the matter and you got plenty of support from members here. You're hardly in a no-win situation. You know what you need to do.

You came to rant against the bureaucracy. That's okay, too, but you need to be prepared for differing opinions. Not everybody sees you as a victim of the system.

My .02

Mobalized

Cadet

Read the posts again. The DMV gave you the advice you needed to correct the matter and you got plenty of support from members here. You're hardly in a no-win situation. You know what you need to do.

You came to rant against the bureaucracy. That's okay, too, but you need to be prepared for differing opinions. Not everybody sees you as a victim of the system.

My .02

Clearly you did not read the post where I informed that I had contacted other state agencies and the info the dmv have was incorrect.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yup. I missed that one. Sorry.

You're still on the path to getting it done, though, and I still don't see you as the hapless victim. You think differently. It's all good.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Everyone living in NY is a victim.....

My .02

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Take it to Dockside Chat, John. Doesn't belong here.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would I ask for a bill of sale if buying a lawnmower or chainsaw from someone on Craigslist...you are damn right I would. If I bought a used crockpot at a garage sale I would. In this day and age, you have NO IDEA unless you are buying new, where the item actually originated....and you want as much defense and back up as possible. As far as the OPs disdain for NY....first, thank you for your service to the country, but, if you don't like our lovely state....feel free to distance yourself from it. You didn't come on here looking for criticism, but, you made sure to inject your own bias towards the state.....

Mobalized

Cadet

Would I ask for a bill of sale if buying a lawnmower or chainsaw from someone on Craigslist...you are damn right I would. If I bought a used crockpot at a garage sale I would. In this day and age, you have NO IDEA unless you are buying new, where the item actually originated....and you want as much defense and back up as possible. As far as the OPs disdain for NY....first, thank you for your service to the country, but, if you don't like our lovely state....feel free to distance yourself from it. You didn't come on here looking for criticism, but, you made sure to inject your own bias towards the state.....

If I had the option to not be here at this time I would leave, however life isn't always that simple. Surprising how many people (even those from upstate) are standing up for a state that is all about repressing the rights of it's citizens. Yes that is my opinion but many things to back it up.

This thread has devolved into a political rant. I've got other places to go to online if I want to hear all of that, I come here to relax and talk about boats.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Take it to Dockside Chat, John. Doesn't belong here.
Doesn't belong there either. We don't do politics here (iboats), and we aren't disrespectful to each other either. Please stick with info and polite banter. Love you guys :) :puke: :D

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Love you too QC........:rolleyes: :facepalm: :laugh:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder, guys.

2. Political, religious or socially controversial topics are not allowed.

4. Attacks (bashing) on any person, organization, company or other entity will not be permitted. Reporting experiences with any vendor, website or organization must be limited to facts. Unqualified attacks will be considered bashing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Love you guys Love you too QC........:rolleyes: :facepalm: :laugh:

Kumbaya...Kumbaya....

(except the guy that wants a bill of sale to buy a used crockpot at a yard sale "for defense and back-up." Seriously?)

NYBo

Admiral

This thread has devolved into a political rant. I've got other places to go to online if I want to hear all of that, I come here to relax and talk about boats.
I with you, brother!