Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding part

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding part

after a lousy day on the water the other day I was putting my boat back on the side of the house. I lowered the wheel stand and started cranking it up to get it off my hitch. As I was turning it suddenly started to spin fast and obviously broke. I took the cover off and there is a little cotter pin style piece of metal that holds the handle to the gear inside the housing. Anyone know the name or where I can find a replacement pin to push back in? or am I out of luck and have to replace the whole thing?
    1995 Marada 2100 with 5.0 Mercruiser V8 - 1st boat
    2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ quad cab
    2008 Ford F250 - lifted Diesel with 650 horsepower - recently sold
    1990 Hallmark Vail popup truck camper - recently sold

Re: Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding par

Originally posted by Biggredd View Post
    after a lousy day on the water the other day I was putting my boat back on the side of the house. I lowered the wheel stand and started cranking it up to get it off my hitch. As I was turning it suddenly started to spin fast and obviously broke. I took the cover off and there is a little cotter pin style piece of metal that holds the handle to the gear inside the housing. Anyone know the name or where I can find a replacement pin to push back in? or am I out of luck and have to replace the whole thing?
    It is probably a split pin, drive it out and go to napa or any auto parts store.
    home is where we drop anchor

Comment

Re: Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding par

Without a picture I can only assume what type of fastener your landing gear uses but most use a roll pin in this application: 315 Pieces Roll Pin Assortment Kit Set - SAE: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Comment

That kit on the link looks correct. It was a hollow piece of metal like those roll pins. Should be an easy fix if I can find the part. Went to an Advanced auto parts and they were completely clueless. I'll try another place tonight. Thanks.

Comment

If you have an Ace or Tru Value in your town they carry them. Otherwise you could try the big box Lowes or Home Depot stores, I think I've seen them there.

Comment

also pick up a set of roll pin drivers... they are like punches but not tapered and are sized for the roll pins
            cheap sets are under $10 at harbor freight or you can spend a couple more dollars and get american stuff
            Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
            But, where are the reevets?
            1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
            1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
            1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
            90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
            Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
            sigpic

Comment

got the pin. the whole gearing ended up being broken. went to harbor freight and got the two wheel fifteen hundred pound Jack stand for $25. night and day, best thing I could've done.

Comment

Working...
              X