planing help

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: planing help

What you said makes sense I also believe the tunnel water is coming up and the jack plate raised the motor 3 inch exactly. Will take the pics you asked for in morning.now if trimming the motor all the way down lowers the bow I don't think that's my problem, like I said before the bow isn't coming up very high and keeping me from planing but I will try it anyway.just to be more specific I'm am pretty leveled out when running.i really just think the way the water out of tunnel is screwing me up. Pics soon. Also double checked my measurement and it is 16 in

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

0427131258.jpg0427131255.jpg0427131302[1].jpg

sorry it took so long had to wait till i got to work to post pics.this is how it is sitting after i raised it an inch,havent got to water test but figured id get your opinion anyway.also took a pic of my clamps to show that i cant safely add any temporary spacers without the clamps being to high up.

UncleWillie

Captain

What was I thinking! :eek:

That tunnel is going to be out of the water when you are on plane. :rolleyes:
You may be too high instead of too low.
Does the engine get a good bite and then rev up just about the time you think it should start to plane?
The tunnel may be lifting the prop out of clean water and you start sucking air, Ventilating.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Willie, the whole point of the tunnel is to get the motor up high... the shape of the inlet of the tunnel lifts the water up to meet the motor

I have a gut feeling that this is gonna come down to not enough horsepower.... I haven't had a tunnel myself but my understanding is that they aren't terribly efficient.

Note that this sort of a tunnel hull is far different from a catamaran type that is also often called tunnel in that on this one, this tunnel starts amidships and the bottom is flat in front.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Boat-ryder. That looks better. When test driving, don't be afraid to move the tilt pin out a couple holes. that should/might, bring the bow up some. Good luck Bud. Report back with results.

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Smokeonwater has it right, I am afraid it's not enought motor especially since I added wooden floors.wont run until Saturday but I will let y'all know how it goes.thanks for all the help

Mi duckdown

Commander

How Do you know Smokenonwater has it right. Test drive. Darn it ryder, you did not mention the added weight! In the first post????
That is where things get screwed UP Trying to Help people out .WITH LACK OF INFO. Raise that Pin.
Still with you tho

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think he mainly meant I was right about the design of the hull

As for the pin, try it in every hole till you find the best one... I'd lean toward trimming further down myself

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes that is all i meant when i said he was right about the hull design.i guess i should have put a pic of whole boat to give idea of size and weight but even after i added the floors i was still able to plane out that one time with an older 25hp johnson.that is part of the reason i traded up to a 35hp evinrude.if its still not high enough after i test all the different pin positions i guess i wasted money on the jackplate i have and have to get one made.thanks guys, will post results after saturday

Mi duckdown

Commander

Is vent plate out of the water Now, when you water tested. Why do think you need to make another jackplate?
I don't know if this mentioned but is the motor running at it's best. good compression?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I was just gonna mention that possibly your old 25 and new 35 could be making about the same power

Did we already establish what the hull is rated for?

Can you easily remove the wood floors for testing?

Can they be replaced with a lighter solution?

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

havent been able to test yet since last adjustment, the 35 has more power and good compression. hull is rated as 35 max and yes floors were cut to fit so there not anchored(spelling?) down.